St Kilda, Ross Lyon, The Psychology Of Tribe, And Hate

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 29, 2009
Belgrave
AFL Club
Geelong
I barracked for the Saints tonight. I just wanted them to stick it up Ross Lyon. I don't hate Ross. I just reckon Lyon betrayed his tribe.

I could care less about money, business, or the GFC that Lyon claimed lost him money. I don't think he would have ended up a poor man after 4 years at the Saints. But that's his decision, and good luck to him. I don't feel this way about banking CEOs who change banks. Its a football thing with me.

Pat Cash the tennis player did not fear losing. He hated it. It motivated him to win. And he won games he was not supposed to win. Hate did that for him.

My coach once got stuck into me at 3 quarter time (I thought most unfairly). I ran through the centre and kicked a goal. I smothered a kick which helped us kick another, all in 3 minutes into the last quarter. I then wanted to run off the ground and punch my coach (who was a mate) in the head also. I looked across, and him and another bloke were laughing. He knew how to wind me up. lol

Lets get back to the Saints/Fremantle loss. I think the best team lost. I think Fremantle took their chances and won, and the Saints didn't. There was a troubling lack of passion in the Saints. They tried. But they didn't try like their lives were on the line. They tried, but they didn't bust a gut trying.

Last year I nearly threw up when I heard Ross Lyon went to see Riewoldt in hospital. What gave him the right to compromise Riewoldt like that, I thought? Then he goes off and sees Lenny Hayes. Thats what I heard. :confused:

WTF? Lyon hasn't been sacked. He just stitched up the club that these guys played for. That's OK for him. But what are they doing shaking his hand?

I couldn't blame these young players. Think about it. You had senior St Kilda execs who refused to stick it up Lyon. "We understand, we are disappointed, but we are not angry. We wish Ross the best." Gosh! How wonderfully professional of those execs not to be upset, and angry. And that was the Saints policy from the top.

But do these senior Saints people realize how weak that sounded? I wanted the Saints to win tonite. They easily could have. But there did not seem the passion in them to just put the ball through the sticks when it counted. I figured it would happen like that. Psychology is a funny thing.

For all their bullshit, I think Eddie McGuire and Kevin Sheedy have a point.

Im afraid your post will fall on deaf ears, or in this case, blind eyes...including mine. Honestly what is this? Tribe? Hate? I wont bother trying to comprehend the incomprehensible.

Haters gonna hate.

The move has been good for both clubs IMO.

But yeah, a driving factor was the fact he went bankrupt and had to move his family in to live with his father for a while. At the end of the day, who are we to judge a guy who did what was best for his family.

Pfft, bloke changed jobs. Pathetic of Saints fans to boo him tonight, really classless. Took them to 2 gfs (or 3 if you want to be pedantic). Instilled a competitive spirit in them that was envied by most other clubs. And with a young family and in financial strife took the best offer he received. Totally bought the media sensationalism. Even if it wasnt the best way to go about it, it wasn't so terrible that his service should be forgotten.
Disgraceful.

Im afraid your post will fall on deaf ears, or in this case, blind eyes...including mine. Honestly what is this? Tribe? Hate? I wont bother trying to comprehend the incomprehensible.

No, that's fair enough.

I reckon some posters here will read it and get what I'm saying. I reckon others who don't get it, will say what you say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best thing Freo has done has been getting him, and a brave decision by Lyon.

It has shafted St Kilda, but that's too bad. Why shouldn't coaches look after themselves? Look at the treatment of guys like Eade, doing a good job one day, and the next day they are axed. Clubs are ruthless these days, and once you are sacked there isn't really any coming back.

Reckon it was an inspired move by both parties in terms of Ross and Freo.

Caught the last half - very exciting stuff.

Lyon seems like a good fit for Freo and Scott Watters for St Kilda so why get uptight about it.

Nonsense! Most Saint's supporters wanted his head from day one. They went quiet whilst he gave them a chance at glory, but then the ugly supporter resurfaced when things didn't go their way again. I've taken an interest in Ross Lyon because he was our midfield coach when we won the flag. He is actually a brilliant coach. I was at the game tonight & it was quite obvious that it had the Ross Lyon stamp put on it as it went on.

The new defensive touch that Ross has added to Freo was quite noticeable tonight &it won the match in the end.

So basically, I left the game tonight content that the supporters of both teams would have gone home happy.

Freo because they finally beat the Saints at Etihad & the Saints because they didn't have to watch Ross coach them in a defensive way.

There you are!

Everyone's happy!

I wanted St.Kilda to win tonight for the fans. I don't mind Ross's decision, I think he went about it the wrong way but I also reckon that it's St.Kilda's management that cost them their coach. Seemed to be a pretty big divide between the two parties at the time of the transition.

Best thing Freo has done has been getting him, and a brave decision by Lyon.

It has shafted St Kilda, but that's too bad. Why shouldn't coaches look after themselves? Look at the treatment of guys like Eade, doing a good job one day, and the next day they are axed. Clubs are ruthless these days, and once you are sacked there isn't really any coming back.

Reckon it was an inspired move by both parties in terms of Ross and Freo.

Do you think after tonite the Saints players will have it branded in their consciousness (whether they like it or not) that they can't beat their old boss?

Nonsense! Most Saint's supporters wanted his head from day one. They went quiet whilst he gave them a chance at glory, but then the ugly supporter resurfaced when things didn't go their way again. I've taken an interest in Ross Lyon because he was our midfield coach when we won the flag. He is actually a brilliant coach. I was at the game tonight & it was quite obvious that it had the Ross Lyon stamp put on it as it went on.

The new defensive touch that Ross has added to Freo was quite noticeable tonight &it won the match in the end.

So basically, I left the game tonight content that the supporters of both teams would have gone home happy.

Freo because they finally beat the Saints at Etihad & the Saints because they didn't have to watch Ross coach them in a defensive way.

There you are!

Everyone's happy!

If you think a team could be happy losing when they could have won, you and me come from different universes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back