Mega Thread The hunt for a new senior coach

Who will be coaching Port Adelaide in 2013? (3rd Poll)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think, even with big dollars from the Afl, there is no chance of us luring Malthouse or Roos. Scott Burns would be great but i think he'll be coaching the Eagles in 2014. Remember Woosha only wanted a two year extention last year and his signing was imediately followed by Burns mysteriously pulling out of the Adelaide job.

My top 3 options are Nathan Basset, Leigh Tudor and Blake Caracella.

Basset seems to have a brilliant football mind and has had sucsess as a senior coach in the SANFL. I love that he has a bit of quirkiness about him but also a competitive streak, like Sheedy or Ian Holloway.

Tudor isn't someone i initially considered as he keeps a very low profile, but the more i read about him the more impressed i am. He coached Geelong (VFL) to the 2007 flag and since then has been involved at the Saints and now Swans, both sucsessfull and structured outfits. And boi has he got the Swans midfield flying!

Caracella played under three of the finest Coaches of all time, in Matthews, Malthouse and Sheedy, and is a two time premiership player. He was an assistant durring Collingwoods rise, and in a premership at the Cats, and importantly is well regarded for player development.

I guess ideally we could maybe even snare one of these three as an assitant as well. Though having said all that for the first time in a long time i have faith the board will make the correct decision. #IsKTthesecondcomingofChrist?

Yeah, I'm sure Adelaide would have approached the likes of Malthouse and Roos before they appointed Sanderson, so the idea that they would come to us is bizarre.

Hearing Thomas' comments that Primus was going to be given his third year on the back of this year's results until the malaise of the past few weeks set in leads me to believe they will go for another young assistant coach but from a successful operation like a Cameron - someone who has a bit to prove and doesn't have the baggage that an Eade or Ayres has.

Whoever it is, they need to concentrate on getting the skill base up in the preseason and just have the players play man on man the entire time. Don't let them think, because it's clear they aren't instinctive enough with their skills at the moment to do two things at once.

I want a coach who will move on the dead wood, develop the kids and establish a culture through strict enforcement of team rules which emphasise team football and playing the percentages. I don't care what his or her name is and I don't think that is a big ask, but I also don't think we have seen that from a Port team for almost a decade.

I dont know that we'd get any bright young prospect here. Why would you want to come to this career graveyard?
Someone at the other end of their career would be all over it like a seagull on a hot chip, I would imagine.

Chad Cornes $41??

I wouldn't even be on that if it was $1001!

The TAB odds tonight stand at an unprecedented 1000 to 0. A bet of zero dollars on Chad Cornes pays 1000 dollars if he wins. Still, very few takers.

Rodney Eade 4.00
Leon Cameron 5.00
Scott Burns 8.00
Gary Hocking 8.00
Mark Bickley 10.00
Shaun Rehn 10.00
Ken Hinkley 12.00
Nathan Bassett 13.00
Blake Caracella 16.00
Ben Hart 16.00
Paul Roos 16.00
Simon Goodwin 17.00
Michael Malthouse 17.00
Robert Harvey 21.00
Adam Simpson 21.00
Neil Craig 21.00
Allan Richardson 21.00
Dean Laidley 34.00
Jade Rawlings 41.00
Nigel Lappin 41.00
Gary Ayres 41.00
Paul Williams 41.00
Mark Williams 41.00
Peter Sumich 41.00
Scott Camporeale 41.00
Darren Milburn 41.00
Mark Harvey 41.00
Terry Wallace 41.00
Max Hudghton 41.00
Warren Tredrea 41.00
Chad Cornes 41.00

Suicide imminent
No chance

The lack of 'suicide imminent' highlighting on Neil Craig makes me confused and angry.

Eade just interviewed on AFL360 and did a very lousy job of pretending he wasn't interested. He'll be in the running for sure.

Eade as coach. Bring back Brogan and Cornes from East Port Adelaide.

There's better coaches in the league, but Eade has shown he can make bricks out of straw. Works for me.

Has Paul Roos come out said he's not interested? It's funny how bucketloads of cash can easily change a persons decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's probably one of the most hated people in the world amongst port supporters.

That said he's undeniably a complete bastard of a human being so maybe he's exactly what we need.

I would have mixed feelings. Mainly negative, but mixed. He'd want to be a standout candidate but I don't really see that happening.

Why don´t you guys have Eade up as an option?

Out of all the people available, he would be my choice. Took two teams from celler dwellars to the Grand Final/Prelim (3x). Sure he didn´t get a premiership but he righted the ship and helped both teams regain respect and pride. He has also remained in the game as a Director of sTrategy at Collingwood so comes with intimate knowledge of how one of the best clubs in the business operates. No brainer IMO.

Guys like Eade demand respect from the players from Day 1.

Unproven guys like Burns have to earn respect.

I think you could add "Bomber" Thompson to the list of possibles. Looking at his body language last night on AFL360, especially when Eade mentions they were discussing it out the back before they came on.

#1 choice - Paul Roos (won't happen)
#2 choice - Malthouse (won't happen)
#3 choice - Bomber Thompson (won't happen)
#4 choice - Rodney Eade (likely)
#5 choice - An untried coach at AFL senior assistant level with >=5 years experience at multiple successful AFL clubs (equally likely)

Right now, I'd be disappointed with any other decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back