Dayne beams officially requests trade

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree 4 and 22 seems possible. Its not what Beams is worth but will will end up taking a bit unders. The alternative is a player in the 10-20 range on your list. I see a few have been mentioned. Luenberger wont be of interest directly to Collingwood as we have enough trouble fitting Grundy and Witts in currently. However he could be involved if a 3rd party bought in a player of interest to Collingwood.

Some have mentioned Jack Crisp but a former rookie who couldn't get a game with you until the season was almost done and only had 2 games in 2013 seems pretty light on. I don't otherwise know enough about him. Pies more than anything probably need an immediate best 22 player with a least 50 games behind him because with Beams and Lumumba looking to be gone we are becoming desperately lacking in established players and our kids are going to get exposed too early.

I guess the two who seem to tick a few of those boxes are Harwood and Lester. Early 20s, they've gotten through the tough early part of their careers, and are physical, selfless players. They're both a bit limited, and they don't really seem like the type that Leppitsch favours.

They'd only just be in the Pies' first 22 though. And Collingwood have to convince them to be traded.

But I reckon most of the value in the trade will be in draft picks.

I guess the two who seem to tick a few of those boxes are Harwood and Lester. Early 20s, they've gotten through the tough early part of their careers, and are physical, selfless players. They're both a bit limited, and they don't really seem like the type that Leppitsch favours.

They'd only just be in the Pies' first 22 though. And Collingwood have to convince them to be traded.

But I reckon most of the value in the trade will be in draft picks.
Yeah it is difficult. Pies really need somone more than borderline 22 probably go draft picks ahead of that. Trouble with draft picks as i said is we are getting more exposed on the experience front and Lumumba and Beams will leave another very big hole. Maybe a 3rd party could be involved.

The rumours re Danger I take with a grain of salt. I think if he comes back to Melb he will be looking for an immediate contender and we are looking less like that.

No 2015 he's a restricted free agent 8 years
Was drafted in 2008.

2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015. That's 7 seasons. The draft class of 2008 only become FAs in 2016. 2007 are FA next year (Dangerfield), 2006 are FA this year (Frawley) and 2005 were FA last year (Thomas, Ellis).

Was drafted in 2008.

2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015. That's 7 seasons. The draft class of 2008 only become FAs in 2016. 2007 are FA next year (Dangerfield), 2006 are FA this year (Frawley) and 2005 were FA last year (Thomas, Ellis).

Read the rules mate, after his 7th season and the player is contracted he becomes a RFA which Beams will be, all in all the Pies hold the strongest position here in the Beams trade.

Read the rules mate, after his 7th season and the player is contracted he becomes a RFA which Beams will be, all in all the Pies hold the strongest position here in the Beams trade.

You are the one who needs to read the rules. He isn't a free agent until end of 2016.

For example, a player who is contracted after his seventh year for one, two, three, four or five years will be eligible for restricted free agency when next out of contract having completed either eight, nine, 10, 11 or 12 seasons respectively.

Beam's is half the player Judd was at 24 - your talking about a two time Brownlow medallist all time great.

If Judd was pick 3, pick 4 (Kennedy) and 20. Then Beams is more like pick 3 and pick 20. Beams is not C.Judd - you cannot be seriously comparing the two as even in value? Beams is on par with Rockliff. So pick 4 and pick 22 is close to fair in these circumstances IMO.

If you say Aish and pick 4, we could essentially get a 24 year old C.Judd if we added our pick 22.

Shaun Burgoyne also commanded 2 first round draft choices to move from Port to Hawthorn.

Judd was off contract and could have got to the Blues via the PSD if it all broke down as they had the #1 pick that year under the old format, therefore WCE had to deal. As you can see, circumstances were quite different. Dayne Beams is contracted. We don't have to trade him if it all breaks down. Next year he is off contract and again, a trade needs to be facilitated as he is not a free agent of any sort until 2016.

Pick 4 and 22 is not close under any circumstances at all- not for a bloke who becomes your best player the moment he walks through the doors at 24yrs old and is already an elite player in the comp.

Honestly, most of this is pretty much spot on. We're bloody close to getting exactly the guy we need and we don't want to miss out because we're not prepared to be bold enough.

But that doesn't mean we can afford to trade away Aish along with pick 4. Even if he did want to go to Collingwood, it just doesn't make sense for us to trade away super promising 18 year olds at this stage. As good as Beams is, from our perspective we'd be giving up more than we'd be getting.

I think the deal will ultimately be Beams for picks 4 and 24. And frankly, that's nothing to be sniffed at. I'm sure Collingwood will be getting into the ears of a bunch of Brisbane players trying to recruit someone they really want, but more likely if there's a player involved it won't be anyone firmly in the Lions' best 22. If they stuck around through last year's exodus, why would they leave now things are looking up?

I highly doubt we will accept 4 and 24- not with his contract status.

Super promising 18yr old or proven elite 24yr old who is the best player at the club the moment he walks through the doors?

I know which player I would prefer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd suggest that when you're trying to be patronising towards others you get your facts right first.

For example, a player who is contracted after his seventh year for one, two, three, four or five years will be eligible for restricted free agency when next out of contract having completed either eight, nine, 10, 11 or 12 seasons respectively.

Shaun Burgoyne also commanded 2 first round draft choices to move from Port to Hawthorn.

Judd was off contract and could have got to the Blues via the PSD if it all broke down as they had the #1 pick that year under the old format, therefore WCE had to deal. As you can see, circumstances were quite different. Dayne Beams is contracted. We don't have to trade him if it all breaks down. Next year he is off contract and again, a trade needs to be facilitated as he is not a free agent of any sort until 2016.

Pick 4 and 22 is not close under any circumstances at all- not for a bloke who becomes your best player the moment he walks through the doors at 24yrs old and is already an elite player in the comp.
Beams ain't Judd. You really need to accept that. I agree Burgoyne is a closer template, but pick 9 is hardly pick 4... pick 4 is a big jump in value. The circumstances aren't great for you in the sense Beams has true compassionate grounds to get home.

Some pies supporters are brushing off pick 4 as if it should be the steak knives... it is worth more than you guys are willing to accept it is. Beams is not a Judd trade scenario which is what two top 10 draft picks is very close to.

Beams ain't Judd. You really need to accept that. I agree Burgoyne is a closer template, but pick 9 is hardly pick 4... pick 4 is a big jump in value. The circumstances aren't great for you in the sense Beams has true compassionate grounds to get home.

Some pies supporters are brushing off pick 4 as if it should be the steak knives... it is worth more than you guys are willing to accept it is. Beams is not a Judd trade scenario which is what two top 10 draft picks is very close to.
2 top 10 picks mid way between Judd and Burgoyne...exactly where Beams sits.
And as for trying to take the moral high ground about "compassionate grounds", maybe if this is such an issue, Brisbane should offer fair value for him, rather than trying to take advantage of the situation.

And as for trying to take the moral high ground about "compassionate grounds", maybe if this is such an issue, Brisbane should offer fair value for him, rather than trying to take advantage of the situation.
Pick 4 plus a mid tier player is a good deal for both teams. Hopefully Lions only give up pick 4 though.

Pick 4 and pick 7 (Aish) isnt half way... add our second rd pick and that is the Judd trade.

If your looking for half way pick 4 and pick 20 is close as close to fair as you'll get in these circumstances. We probably add a fringe player if you wanted. But more and that turns into robbing peter to pay paul from our list management point of view.

Why would we take more from our list than Beams would add???

Pick 4 and pick 7 (Aish) isnt half way... add our second rd pick and that is the Judd trade.

If your looking for half way pick 4 and pick 20 is close as close to fair as you'll get in these circumstances. We probably add a fringe player if you wanted. But more and that turns into robbing peter to pay paul from our list management point of view.

It is possible for Collingwood to add something else in along with Beams.

Put it this way, I would give up Pick 8+Scharenberg in a heartbeat for Luke Parker. You are still getting back more than you are giving. Look at the history of Pick 4's and 7's, even with 2, you're unlikely to get a player of Beams' quality back...and Beams takes away the risk element.
Also, you're the one saying how big the gap between 9 and 4 is, but apparently pick 7 is the same as pick 3 when it suits you :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back