Roast Mitch Duncan, time to step up

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Mummy!

Geez it hurts having lost you all those years ago but what a pick 28 has Mitch become… and he just extended his deal for 3 years….

Lets get some from office love there too.

Brilliant the last 2 weeks..

GO Catters

FWIW, I think Duncan is being played out of position. He is not a defensive player.
Good to see Scott admitting this now. Duncan has been superb the past couple when back in the midfield.

Mitch Duncan is Geelong's best young player in my opinion. I've said this before but he's the most underrated player for the Cats. He's like a younger version of Jimmy Bartel. That big-bodied utility who's capable of playing in a variety of roles around the ground and he always seems to be at the right place at the right time in big games.

I still can't believe he wasn't even selected in last years All-Australian team. If he keeps his current form up for the remainder of 2015 he's a very good chance to make it this year.

Mitch Duncan is Geelong's best young player in my opinion. I've said this before but he's the most underrated player for the Cats. He's like a younger version of Jimmy Bartel. That big-bodied utility who's capable of playing in a variety of roles around the ground and he always seems to be at the right place at the right time in big games.

I still can't believe he wasn't even selected in last years All-Australian team. If he keeps his current form up for the remainder of 2015 he's a very good chance to make it this year.

But can you believe that every year around October some clowns blabber on about trading him.
Thank God that he signed a reasonably lengthy deal to silence such bleetings.

But can you believe that every year around October some clowns blabber on about trading him.

He's right up there with Geelong's most important players.

I was really concerned that the lure of going back to WA would see him asking for a trade to WCE or Freo but fortunately he's established roots in Victoria now, hopefully will stay a one-club player like Joel Corey:cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't have to go back as far as October. It was a recent as a couple of weeks ago (before the Richmond game).

Scott's word on him last night:

"Mitch is one of the ones we've got high hopes for, but he's one of a group. I take responsibility for maybe some of his form early in the season. We didn't play him in his best position I don't think, but we're learning as well."
Was quite pleased to hear Scott admit to this in his press conference. It is a learning game I guess, particularly getting the newer and more experienced players to gel as a cohesive unit.

Duncan's game was definitely the highlight in a game of highlights for me on Friday night. He seems to love playing the Pies-picked up the 3 Brownlow votes last time they played iirc.

Watched a replay of the game with my son (who's only just taken an interest in footy) yesterday who said "who's number 22 for us, he'll be my favourite player. He's tries really hard and always gets the ball". Pretty observant I thought. :)

"Mitch Duncan, time to step up" the thread implored (as did I).

And he f**king well has.

Hats off Mitch, love your work son (when you are played where you do your best work).

You don't have to go back as far as October. It was a recent as a couple of weeks ago (before the Richmond game).

Such is the lunacy.

After and during a period where he was being played out of position. Now acknowledged by the coach.

I still managed to see his value as a player and have always thought that such suggestions were rather silly given that he is probably among the best ball users in the team.

Ooops. Carlton just lost to Brizzy.

I still managed to see his value as a player and have always thought that such suggestions were rather silly given that he is probably among the best ball users in the team.

Ooops. Carlton just lost to Brizzy.
Don't get me wrong, I'm with you 100%. Absurd even engaging in discussion about it!

I get the whole "players have to be versatile" line but geez haven't things changed once certain players were returned to their natural positions. Also it has made quite the different having Lang and Mr. G. up forward too!

Scott's word on him last night:

"Mitch is one of the ones we've got high hopes for, but he's one of a group. I take responsibility for maybe some of his form early in the season. We didn't play him in his best position I don't think, but we're learning as well."
Someone should note this down for whenever a 'well you'd know better than the coaching staff, would you?' is rolled out.

Consistency is the key to Mitch taking the next step into an elite midfielder. We have seen him tear games apart before and he has shown that he has all the tools to become one of the top mids in comp but has yet to do it consistently ala Selwood, Pendlebury etc. (who aren't necessarily BOG every week but consistently perform and rarely play a bad game). He is still not in the same level as these guys....yet, but his performances of the last two weeks have shown that maybe he's very close to taking that next step.

One thing that really impressed me with Duncan's game on Friday night was his clearance work and his work in the contest. His gut running & line breaking, along with his elite disposal are his strengths but it was his clearance work and contested ball winning that stood out. 18 contested possessions said it all. In the past I'd have preferred him to start on the wing and be the option outside but now I wouldn't mind seeing him start in the guts at the ball ups at bit more as I thought along with Caddy, Selwood & Blitz he really combined well to give us first use out of the middle. He also has the speed and awareness to break away from stoppages and hurt the opposition going forward.

It was also refreshing to see Scott come out and admit they got it wrong playing Duncan out of position and now that he has been allowed to play his natural role he, as well as the team, are reaping the rewards.
Hoping this is Mitch's year!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back