Preview R23: Changes v GWS - White to debut; Harmes, Brayshaw, JKH in

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the same time though TPH, do we have room for all three?

They're definitely the types who don't really have a set role (especially Watts) and pick and choose when to show up (especially Howe).

I'd be happy to lose Howe personally, especially if we can get a sub 30 pick for him.

I'd be happy for Watts if he left because he deserves a new chance, same with Garland though he's one of my favourites and I'd love to keep him.
I have a strong feeling Howe is gone, if correct then I would say it's in our best interests to hang onto Watts and Garland. Like the Puppet Master says there are skills there as well as 100 plus games which can't be replaced.

So we lose our best kick of the footy in Watts and we won't be worse for it? Get your hand off it.

Like i said, it depends what we get in return. Do i think we should replace all 3 with young 18 year olds? No. But if we can snare a couple of players from other clubs who can have an impact, then yeah, id be open to trading howe, garland and watts. Watts may be our best kick behind Bernie, but he simply doesn't get it enough or get it in dangerous places to hurt the opposition. Im 50/50 whether we trade him or not. I wont lose sleep if 1 or all 3 of them go.

Like i said, it depends what we get in return. Do i think we should replace all 3 with young 18 year olds? No. But if we can snare a couple of players from other clubs who can have an impact, then yeah, id be open to trading howe, garland and watts. Watts may be our best kick behind Bernie, but he simply doesn't get it enough or get it in dangerous places to hurt the opposition. Im 50/50 whether we trade him or not. I wont lose sleep if 1 or all 3 of them go.

He's the one that kick starts a lot of runs from the back line with good kicks but they break down because whoever he kicks to f***s it up, we'd be seeing far more impact if he had the option to kick to someone who wasn't going to f*** up the next kick but those options are limited.

At the same time though TPH, do we have room for all three?

They're definitely the types who don't really have a set role (especially Watts) and pick and choose when to show up (especially Howe).

I'd be happy to lose Howe personally, especially if we can get a sub 30 pick for him.

I'd be happy for Watts if he left because he deserves a new chance, same with Garland though he's one of my favourites and I'd love to keep him.

Certainly could lose 1 of the 3 - 3 of 3 wouldnt be great.

Would be really bad to lose three experienced, and still definitely best-22, senior players.

I'd be OK with Howe and/or Garland leaving (as long as we got something good back in return) but reckon we need to stick with Watts.

Would be really bad to lose three experienced, and still definitely best-22, senior players.

I'd be OK with Howe and/or Garland leaving (as long as we got something good back in return) but reckon we need to stick with Watts.
Yeah hang on to Watts he's the only good kick we have.

I agree with what you say to a certain extent, he doesn't demand the ball enough and I wish he would, he's not indispensable and he'll never be key position, he just doesn't have the physique or aggression for it.

But I disagree with your assertion he should be winning games off his own boot. Whilst he's talented, he's no superstar (obviously). He lacks the swagger and self belief to carry a team that you can already see comes naturally to the likes of Hogan and Petracca. But he has improved significantly this year and can still be a vitally important contributor going forward. We just need to put away the thoughts of him as our match winning saviour that we've hung onto since he was drafted and see him as the personality that he is.

Nice post this.

Nice post this.
Apart from the part where we can already see that Petracca is the kind of player to carry a team. 0 gamer winning games off his own boot

And I reckon those saying Watts doesn't demand the ball simply don't watch closely enough. The amount of times he leads up to the right position and isn't used because we have no one with either the confidence or skill to hit him is astounding. I don't think Watts is a world beater at all but he demands the ball plenty when he's actually played in his proper position.

I get the strange feeling that we may have seen the last of Watts in a Dees jumper.

Hope I'm wrong, but I think we'll be advertising him/Grimes/Toumpas (yes Dez I know he's being recontracted) and the likes heavily as players who can do a job for better sides and then exchange them for second round picks to get in and educate.
Totally agree about Watts Tulip. Roos is clearly fed up with our inconsistency and Watts has been super inconsistent. He was good for a five week patch but has been s**t the last few weeks. He still has no strength over the ball or in a marking contest, and very much picks and chooses when he's going to give effort. I think he will be traded. Not sure how I feel about it. For a late first round pick I think I'd rather have Jack, especially in a light on draft. But maybe we'd be better with a Balic, Mathieson, Curnow of Weiderman.. I think his 80% efforts are terrible for morale. A chain is as strong as its weakest link and Jack can be pretty ducking weak.

Totally agree about Watts Tulip. Roos is clearly fed up with our inconsistency and Watts has been super inconsistent. He was good for a five week patch but has been s**t the last few weeks. He still has no strength over the ball or in a marking contest, and very much picks and chooses when he's going to give effort. I think he will be traded. Not sure how I feel about it. For a late first round pick I think I'd rather have Jack, especially in a light on draft. But maybe we'd be better with a Balic, Mathieson, Curnow of Weiderman.. I think his 80% efforts are terrible for morale. A chain is as strong as its weakest link and Jack can be pretty ducking weak.
He's been one of our most consistent players in the back half of the year, outside the weeks he was crook.

He's been taking more contested marks, actually breaking tackles and blazing away from opponents and backing himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's been one of our most consistent players in the back half of the year, outside the weeks he was crook.

He's been taking more contested marks, actually breaking tackles and blazing away from opponents and backing himself.
He's been s**t for the last month. I like Watts and hope he stays, think he'd be be so much better as we improve as a team, and we desperately need class and speed outside the contest. I just think he's squarely in the gun. He's been dropped for the last game of the year and Roos is flagging an active trade period. Howe is clearly gone too. Will be interesting what either would or will fetch in terms of draft picks. I'd have Watts as a mid to late first rounder and Howe behind him. Hopefully still first round.

He's been s**t for the last month. I like Watts and hope he stays, think he'd be be so much better as we improve as a team, and we desperately need class and speed outside the contest. I just think he's squarely in the gun. He's been dropped for the last game of the year and Roos is flagging an active trade period. Howe is clearly gone too. Will be interesting what either would or will fetch in terms of draft picks. I'd have Watts as a mid to late first rounder and Howe behind him. Hopefully still first round.

I wouldn't say last month.

But he's definitely dropped off the past couple of weeks - even though he had 7 tackles v Freo.

He's finally a good AFL player, but now its about whether he fits into our structure and whether we want to carry guys with scratchy form or start fresh.

In this instance, I think I'll back the club either way.

He's finally a good AFL player, but now its about whether he fits into our structure and whether we want to carry guys with scratchy form or start fresh.

In this instance, I think I'll back the club either way.

Question is did he play the role he was given by Roos to a satisfactory level

I was happy with his improvement this year because he went from a joke to a decent AFL player, he still needs to step up another couple of levels though

Question is did he play the role he was given by Roos to a satisfactory level

I was happy with his improvement this year because he went from a joke to a decent AFL player, he still needs to step up another couple of levels though
He will. I can sense it. Just not today, obviously.

I've got my game day sort of feeling. It's sort of wishful, but at the same time sort of steeling myself against hopeless fury.

I want 4 quarters of effort and, if not a win, a score line that allows Crossey to be chaired out head held high.

And here's me thinking that "Spud" Jamar played his farewell game in 2013......is he still on the
list?
Yes he is. You know he is. don't get me wrong - your remarks bring a lot to the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back