Delisted 20. Ryan Gardner (2016 - 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

We just drafted Tom Lonergans replacement! Give him a few years to develop & will be a gun, he played in a seniors premiership as a 15 year old for Redpa in Tassie before joining Burnie and playing state league.
REDPA...that's Deliverance country. He would've been playing against meat axe forester men. Western Tasmanians...tough and hard! LOVE THIS PICK!!!!

Welcome to GEELONG son.
r0_0_4948_2782_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

size and speed v foot stress fracture.
Stress fractures treated right can be overcome
high risk for high reward
if it pays off... Wells is a genius
Stress fractures are no big deal...rest and they heal like any break. He's a beauty this kid.

He played on Chris Tarrant in Rd 2 of the TSL and kept him to two goals - not bad for a 17 year old.
Are you kidding me...I love this kid. Can't wait to see him on the track.
BTW, who was Tarrant playing for?

Is Kingston in the TSL yet? They used to destroy everyone in the Southern Tasmanian League.

Tarrant was playing for North Launceston.
The Premiers...well there you go. He kept Tarrant to two playing against the Premiers at 17 years old. We've got ourselves a RIPPER!!!!

This from Quigley's Phantom Draft:

53. Ryan Gardiner

Ht – 196 Wt – 89

I watched Gardner a fair bit at the Champs after I worked out he was someone who was worth paying attention to (not as silly as it sounds if he is not one of the guys you have on the list to watch going in. You are splitting your attention a lot of ways as it is). I liked what I saw and asked a regular TSL watcher what the general vibe was in Tassie about him. His reply was to the effect that it was generally thought that he would be a solid TSL player at best. After that I had gone away from him but some decent form late in the year including in the Allies match and I am happy to slot him back in.

Gardner had injury issues over the year which have restricted him. He has had a hot spot in his foot which has flared at various times in the year including leading into the TSL finals. Gardner was given big jobs both at the Champs and in the TSL and usually stood up. At the Champs, Tassie lacked quality at the back and Gardner was often flicked around to whichever opposition forward was getting away. He stood up nicely and usually did a good job quelling the hot hand.

Although he is still pretty raw, Gardner is a very athletic 196cm player and for those two reasons alone I could see someone taking a punt on him. He plays from in front and does well getting to the ball first. He is not the best judge of the ball in air in this draft but he is good enough to get to the fall first on most occasions and does a good job of keeping the ball in front of himself. He is a pretty good mark of the ball and marked a few opposition inside 50 entries in the Allies game which would have gotten him some attention. He has good courage in the air but also knows when to punch. Gardner is a bit light and does need to use a bit more smartly in the contest. At the moment he looks undersized even against junior opponents so there is going to need to be a fair bit of time in the gym for him.

I have seen Gardner go to ruck sized forwards like Hipwood and do a good job but he also has the athleticism to go with smalls. He has good pace and agility for a guy his size. Going forward he needs to involve himself more in play. He is still learning the defensive game and is a bit too focused on that side of the ball at the moment. When he gets the ball, Gardner is usually a pretty good user of the ball and he went at over 80% across the Champs and in the Allies match. Apart from one glaring across the goal pass that went wrong I thought he generally took very good options at the Champs, playing within himself mostly but occasionally going for a nice attacking option if it was there to be taken.

Gardner has the height, athleticism and mindset to play at AFL level. There is still quite a bit of development that needs to go into him before he would be effective at AFL level but unlike a lot of KPDs who are drafted he does not have any glaring issues which would indicate that they would struggle to step up if the time was put into them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This from Quigley's Phantom Draft:

53. Ryan Gardiner

Ht – 196 Wt – 89

I watched Gardner a fair bit at the Champs after I worked out he was someone who was worth paying attention to (not as silly as it sounds if he is not one of the guys you have on the list to watch going in. You are splitting your attention a lot of ways as it is). I liked what I saw and asked a regular TSL watcher what the general vibe was in Tassie about him. His reply was to the effect that it was generally thought that he would be a solid TSL player at best. After that I had gone away from him but some decent form late in the year including in the Allies match and I am happy to slot him back in.

Gardner had injury issues over the year which have restricted him. He has had a hot spot in his foot which has flared at various times in the year including leading into the TSL finals. Gardner was given big jobs both at the Champs and in the TSL and usually stood up. At the Champs, Tassie lacked quality at the back and Gardner was often flicked around to whichever opposition forward was getting away. He stood up nicely and usually did a good job quelling the hot hand.

Although he is still pretty raw, Gardner is a very athletic 196cm player and for those two reasons alone I could see someone taking a punt on him. He plays from in front and does well getting to the ball first. He is not the best judge of the ball in air in this draft but he is good enough to get to the fall first on most occasions and does a good job of keeping the ball in front of himself. He is a pretty good mark of the ball and marked a few opposition inside 50 entries in the Allies game which would have gotten him some attention. He has good courage in the air but also knows when to punch. Gardner is a bit light and does need to use a bit more smartly in the contest. At the moment he looks undersized even against junior opponents so there is going to need to be a fair bit of time in the gym for him.

I have seen Gardner go to ruck sized forwards like Hipwood and do a good job but he also has the athleticism to go with smalls. He has good pace and agility for a guy his size. Going forward he needs to involve himself more in play. He is still learning the defensive game and is a bit too focused on that side of the ball at the moment. When he gets the ball, Gardner is usually a pretty good user of the ball and he went at over 80% across the Champs and in the Allies match. Apart from one glaring across the goal pass that went wrong I thought he generally took very good options at the Champs, playing within himself mostly but occasionally going for a nice attacking option if it was there to be taken.

Gardner has the height, athleticism and mindset to play at AFL level. There is still quite a bit of development that needs to go into him before he would be effective at AFL level but unlike a lot of KPDs who are drafted he does not have any glaring issues which would indicate that they would struggle to step up if the time was put into them.
Gutsy enough to try passing across the goals in defence? Seems to have modelled himself on the Cats' backline. ;)

Last edited:
looks alright hopefully he can strengthen our key back stocks and not out injury list

I don't know how you did that but I had work tonight, finished around 1am & went on website to see our 4 picks then said to myself Gardner is my man! :eek::D:cool:
May I suggest that given what happened with your last man you keep your powder dry for a bit young man.... you might be a mozz! :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back