Rookie 43. Emerson Jeka (2023 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

If you can somehow grow him a heart and a backbone this kid will be special.

All the tools physically and skill wise but sometimes he plays like he doesn't want to be a footballer.
What's his best position?

What's his best position?
CHB but requires a lot of freedom to play off his man. Think a poor man's Darcy Moore.

He can use his size and speed to intercept and his excellent foot skills to distribute.

Doesn't have the innate aggression to crash packs as a CHF.

All the tools physically and skill wise but sometimes he plays like he doesn't want to be a footballer.

That's the most scathing, and career destroying, criticism that can be levelled against a player.

Skill and physicality counts for nought without the heart and backbone.

I'm entirely OK with this. It's a shy at the stumps, nothing more and nothing less.

O'Brien will turn 30 early next year. Jeka will be 23 at the very end of next season. That alone is reason enough to prioritise the player who may just still have some real improvement left in him.

And if he ends up being a bust in terms of currency as an AFL player, he will at least be a very welcome addition to what has been a woefully undersized VFL defensive unit in recent times.

Emerson. come on down...

CHB but requires a lot of freedom to play off his man. Think a poor man's Darcy Moore.

He can use his size and speed to intercept and his excellent foot skills to distribute.

The pick doesn't make sense unless we think he's better as a tall forward.

The pick doesn't make sense unless we think he's better as a tall forward.

I was pretty surprised you picked him up. He did have a good season up forward in the 2s but I really can't see it at AFL level unless the penny drops.

He looked ok at CHB because he didn't have to worry about body contact.

I was pretty surprised you picked him up. He did have a good season up forward in the 2s but I really can't see it at AFL level unless the penny drops.

He looked ok at CHB because he didn't have to worry about body contact.

I wonder how the GFC found a way to look past that??

You can't play AFL being scared, and you can't cure it because the fear is innate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder how the GFC found a way to look past that??

You can't play AFL being scared, and you can't cure it because the fear is innate.
He doesn’t play scared, just plays to his strengths. Being of slight build he is more likely to take a mark across a pack than shoulder to shoulder. This may change once he fills out. Knowing Chris well, I’m sure he’ll get the best out of him. The main issue with Jeka has been his hamstrings and general confidence in his body, similar to Darcy Moore early days.

If that's the case then I don't have much confidence. Rarely (if ever) do you see someone make it who doesn't really want to do it. Rhys Stanley is probably the best success story I've seen in recent times.

Sounds like quinton narkle as a KPP.

No way am I hanging shite on this young bloke after watching what's available online mostly a one grab mark that's because he reads it in the air well keeps his eyes on the ball and doesn't drop the head,exceptional kick for someone 198CM also makes good position to and a smidgen of x factor.Sure he got off to a slowish start but so did Mooney coming from North good luck I say.
PS don't shut the door on him becoming a forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back