Senior 14. Connor O'Sullivan (2023-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting question: Did we take Joel with his #14 guersey to the draft with intention to give it to any player we took with our 1st pick or did we take spare blanks just in case we didn't get the right target?

I will say the number was going to whoever we took, and ya'll should stop speculating on 'future captain' s**t.

Unless you want to speculate on Tom Stewart, go hard for #44.

Interesting question: Did we take Joel with his #14 guersey to the draft with intention to give it to any player we took with our 1st pick or did we take spare blanks just in case we didn't get the right target?

I will say the number was going to whoever we took, and ya'll should stop speculating on 'future captain' s**t.

Knowing now that we rated him higher than Caddy it was probably a 90% chance we ended up with O'Sullivan. So sending Joel with the number 14 was a decision made with him in mind.

Unless O'Sullivan was taken early in a massive surprise the only way we wouldn't have got him was if someone like Sanders or Curtin was available at our pick or at a pick we were willing to trade up to. But it's unclear that we even rated either of them higher than O'Sullivan. It doesn't sound like we threw the farm at the Curtin pick.

He either rocked up with two (one blank one not) or he was giving it to whoever.

Either or really. Happy to give him 14 even if he never makes the leadership group

I wouldn't read anything into the number personally.

It is pretty standard practice for us to hold over the number of a significant retiree for a year, then hand it over to the first pick the year after, no?

Then they usually just go lowest to highest for the jumpers based on the draft order unless someone has a real preference for a certain number, father or son whatever.

Knowing now that we rated him higher than Caddy it was probably a 90% chance we ended up with O'Sullivan. So sending Joel with the number 14 was a decision made with him in mind.

Unless O'Sullivan was taken early in a massive surprise the only way we wouldn't have got him was if someone like Sanders or Curtin was available at our pick or at a pick we were willing to trade up to. But it's unclear that we even rated either of them higher than O'Sullivan. It doesn't sound like we threw the farm at the Curtin pick.
I don't think we were ever going to trade up as in hindsight there was too much talent in the latter picks.

I wonder how much higher they rated O'Sullivan than Caddy, and how much it was the addition of the extra pick that swayed them.

i.e., they may have ranked Caddy and O'Sullivan similarly, but essentially the decision became Caddy vs. O'Sullivan + Mannagh, which perhaps made it easier.

I wonder how much higher they rated O'Sullivan than Caddy, and how much it was the addition of the extra pick that swayed them.

i.e., they may have ranked Caddy and O'Sullivan similarly, but essentially the decision became Caddy vs. O'Sullivan + Mannagh, which perhaps made it easier.
I think we will possibly never know.

They will always say what they said "rated them the same" so that it doesn't confirm to Essendon that we got one over them.

I'd just love to know our true opinions on the situation... There would be so many layers to it, but they won't come out and say anything overly specific.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back