Pendlebury vs Selwood

Who is the better player?

• S. Pendlebury

Votes: 161 68.2%
  • J. Selwood

Votes: 75 31.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sorry for Adam H, He's a troll and you can clearly see that with him hijacking this thread and roping me into it. I'll be the mature one and just leave it be.

Pendlebury is a lot more finesse & polish. The type of player that starts to dictate terms when the team is already ahead in a game. Pendlebury's teammate in Dane Swan often stands up when his team needs it and he has done it consistently since debut.

Statistically speaking Pendles actually collects more stats than anyone else in the competition when the game is within tight margins. His contributions fly under the radar but he's the architect of every move when the game is there to be won, Swan is more of a finisher though and those sorts tend to have their contributions to games noticed more easily.

Statistically speaking Pendles actually collects more stats than anyone else in the competition when the game is within tight margins.

do you have a webpage to those stats? It would make some interesting reading for other players. Selwood in particular, would like to see his numbers when the game is in the balance.

do you have a webpage to those stats? It would make some interesting reading for other players. Selwood in particular, would like to see his numbers when the game is in the balance.

I'll have a look when I get the time later but it was from a Champion Data article and admittedly it was from 2014 I think, it just outlined the best and worst at each club but it took multiple years into consideration though. I do remember that Selwood was right up near the top and I think Johnson was too actually as far as Geelong players go.

Both are quality but give me Pendlebury any day for his superior ball use. Also i suspect that Selwood will be one of those players who is all but done at 30 ala Judd/Voss (that's just a gut feel thing combined with the fact that players that are playing deep into finals early in their career don't tend to last as long coupled with his kamikaze style).

Also Geelong fans i'm sorry but everyone will remember Selwood for inventing a way of playing for free kicks. He's lead the comp in free kicks for so many of his years playing which is just INSANE. So no he won't get a free pass from neutrals on that one. If he didn't play for free kicks he wouldn't be alone on top of the free kick board by over 30 free kicks each year - quit kidding yourselves. For the record i have not checked the stats in 2015 - but everytime i see Selwood in those stats he's way on top and has been in many of the last 5 years so I feel confident in standing by this opinion.

Selwood. Pendlebury will be always known as the bloke with no premierships, not that he isn't a good player but.

Selwood is a great on field leader and a brilliant player.

Its kinda weird neither has a Brownlow though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely Pendles, though I think the gap would be smaller if Selwood wasn't currently coming off his worst season since he was a teenager. Having some midfield support should lift him back close enough to make it more of a contest, but reckon Pendles is the more damaging player of the two. Obviously you'd happily take either in a heartbeat.

Selwood. Pendlebury will be always known as the bloke with no premierships, not that he isn't a good player but.

You realise Pendlebury has won a premiership right? 2010?

I've always felt Pendlebury is one of the more overrated football players I have ever watched. Some would argue Selwood is classified in a similar category but most football pundits have had Pendlebury in their top 10 for many years. Pendlebury's hype has died down in recent times as a few midfielders have come along and out shined these two.

Selwood is a better big game performer in my view. He has more influence on his teams output when the chips are down. Pendlebury is a lot more finesse & polish. The type of player that starts to dictate terms when the team is already ahead in a game. Pendlebury's teammate in Dane Swan often stands up when his team needs it and he has done it consistently since debut.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n-game-are-close/story-fni5ezm8-1226936495524

Pendlebury is and has been one of, if not the best clutch player in the game for many years.

http://championdata.fansunite.com.au/2015/08/21/16625/pressure-factor

Also one of the most defensive minded mids and best pressure players in the game.

And then there is the fact that using Champion Datas AFL Player Ratings system Pendlebury was ranked the clear 3rd best player of the year this year. Yet no AA. 1st last year yet it was debated at length by amateurs and 'experts' if he should have made the AA team and just scraped a spot on the bench.

Ability to actually use the ball is an underrated stat in our game, like no other. That and being a victim of his own consistency has made him one of our games underrated players. Sure the commentators like to never shut up about the whole slowing down time thing but when it comes down to it and everyone was picking their AA teams they saw that he averaged 1 less disposal than an accumulator and decided to neglect everything else that matters.

Hopefully in due time he will be recognised as not only a jet with an ability to slow time down but as one of the best players of the era and in my opinion the best to ever pull on the Black and White by the end of his career.

Different players really....Pendlebury is more highly skilled but Joel is will-power & persistence personified.

Can't lie when I admit that Selwoods' ducking & constant whingeing & bitching for frees shits me no end, & detracts from an otherwise champion player....He comes off as a spoilt-brat.

Won a flag and was best a field on GF day.

When was the last time Selwood did that?

Back