List Management | End of year discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

What, where, when? Can't just drop a bomb like that without a source. Pretty sure if Roughy flagged intention to retire it would be front page news.
Rough was on SEN this morning but I didn't to get listen. iPhone couldnt open the SEN listen live app. Don't suppose there was any such news then?

Dear Mr Wright,

Why is it that Kaiden Brand is uncontracted and all the media reports are that you have made an offer to potato Vickery? Please explain my dear man? I can be reached in this thread on the Hawks BigFooty Board.

Fondest regards,

C-L-A

Correct me if I'm wrong but Spangher is contracted for next year? That said, I have heard from two different people at Box Hill that he plans to retire so I guess it's irrelevant.

Lithers will seek opportunity elsewhere and is out of contract as far as I'm aware. Whitecross probably in the same boat but I'd really like to keep him.

Hill trade obviously.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Spangher is contracted for next year? That said, I have heard from two different people at Box Hill that he plans to retire so I guess it's irrelevant.

Lithers will seek opportunity elsewhere and is out of contract as far as I'm aware. Whitecross probably in the same boat but I'd really like to keep him.

Hill trade obviously.

No he's out of contract at seasons end, signed a 2 year deal after the 2014 flag.

Dear Mr Wright,

Why is it that Kaiden Brand is uncontracted and all the media reports are that you have made an offer to potato Vickery? Please explain my dear man? I can be reached in this thread on the Hawks BigFooty Board.

Fondest regards,

C-L-A
It may have a lot to do with the rookie list being abolished, and there is a spot pencilled in with details to be fine tuned after the ins and outs are settled
In Graham we trust

I think five or maybe even six players will be turned over depending on if hill leaves. Spang is certain but Litherland might want out for more opportunity as might willsmore. Webster and miles would be candidates for delisting too. Fitzy may give it away given his concussion issues.

I think we will trade in at least one of jom, Mitchell and crouch. Probably try and find cheap ruck depth. Given the attempt to recruit Carlisle I won't be surprised if we pick up a kpp, especially one that can play forward given the possible absence of roughy for half the year or more.

Miles signed a contract extension so he won't be delisted. Not sure why you would want to delist him either since he seems to have achieved about as much as anyone would have hoped given his size/weight and that the club was investing in a player of the future rather than now.

Miles signed a contract extension so he won't be delisted. Not sure why you would want to delist him either since he seems to have achieved about as much as anyone would have hoped given his size/weight and that the club was investing in a player of the future rather than now.
Well I posted that over a month ago before he re-signed. My problem with miles is he is too small to be a defender at afl level and not good enough to demand a spot as a hff. I think kade Stewart has gone past him for that role and will out perform him going forward with further preseasons behind him. But I appreciate the club sees things differently and will support miles as long as he remains in Hawks colours.

Well I posted that over a month ago before he re-signed. My problem with miles is he is too small to be a defender at afl level and not good enough to demand a spot as a hff. I think kade Stewart has gone past him for that role and will out perform him going forward with further preseasons behind him. But I appreciate the club sees things differently and will support miles as long as he remains in Hawks colours.

Classic! I always miss dates but figured it was more recent that a month ago. Maybe he will grow some more? ;-)

I love this time of year....I love the anticipation of finals but also looking forward to the future.
I am not a big fan of this draft, so I don't think we need to make more than 3 draft picks.
Bring in Vickery and perhaps Mitchell, and trade out Hill, so we need to offload at least 4 players.
In addition to Hill, I think Webster, Spangher and Willsmore will go....then we need to find one more from the main list - noting we are currently one short on the primary list this year. As much as I don't want to see Litherland go, I suspect he may also go.

I wouldn't be surprised if we lose another we weren't expecting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thoughts on where our list is at and possible off-season moves:

Roughead Absolute superstar. Hoping his recovery goes well and he gets back to full health.
Lewis Season best summed up by his 2 finals - inconsistent. Enormous against the Cast and went missing against the Dogs. Likely to be handed the captaincy in 2017
Hartung Young player but at the cross roads. Has shown he can play at this level with his run and carry however needs to find some physicality. Needs a harder edge.
Mitchell Outstanding season again and still our best player. Will his role change with the hopeful inclusions of O'Meara and Tommy Mitchell?
Gibson Outstanding first half of the season and then dropped away. Clubs deploying tactics to keep him out the play. Will be interesting to see what Clarko comes up with next season to nullify opposition tactics.
McEvoy Big year coming up with Ceglar out young Pittonet as back up. Will have part time support from Fitzy and pontentially Vickery. Needs to be more dangerous forward
Duryea Up and down year and really needs to set himself to be come the best small defender in the league which currently belongs to Rory Laird. Has his kicks smothered more than any other player and needs to improve his hands in tight.
Burgoyne Both finals were outstanding.
Hill Like Hartung lacks physicality. Thanks for your service, congrats on the 3 flags and all the best at the Dockers.
Whitecross Inspiring comeback this season and finished the year strongly. Could he potentially be trade bait with the promise of a longer term deal although he has activated a extension on his current contract?
Frawley Solid year although decision making still needs to be worked on. Needs to set himself to getting back to All Australian form.
O'Rourke Make or break year coming if he stays on the list. Looks to handball far to much where he should be looking to break lines and use his foot skills
Birchall Steady although not his normally calm self under pressure at different points of the season. Turned the ball over more than any other player in our 2 finals losses.
Hodge Warrior. Will look to play on the edge in 2017 in what is looking likely as his final season.
Smith Solid season with his tireless run and carry and we shouldn’t hang him out to dry for his Geelong miss. Expect him to rebound strongly.
Litherland Excellent contributor at VFL level but hasn't nailed his chances when promoted. Time is up at the hawks and hopefully we can facilitate a trade for him like we did with Cheney and Lowden.
Ceglar Improving big man who unfortunately will miss the entire season.
Gunston Excellent season considering him he was getting the number defender each week. 50 odd goals a great return
Willsmore Delist. Was unable to break in to the team when we had injuries and form dropped away late in the season. Expect to see him in the SANFL or WAFL
Sicily Great return in his first full year in the seniors. Needs to work on his tank and defensive pressure. Let's hope the rumors are not true and he is not on the trade table.
Breust Another 40+ retrurn and spent more time in the midfield. Will likely spend further time in the midfield next season as teams are putting a lot more work into him. Was getting caught with the ball more this year and his accuracy was down significantly. Again, hope the rumors aren't true and he is in brown and gold again next year.
O'Brien Showed some signs however far to incosistent and doesn’t get the ball enough at either VFl or AFL level and ws overtaken by Sicily. After 5 years in the system I suggest potential trade bait
Stratton His importance was best illustrated when he was out injured and we struggled down back. Great team player.
Shoenmakers Injury cruelled his season abd needs an injury free pre-sason. Showed his value against the Cats but then went missing against the Bulldogs. Needs to take more contested marks
Shiels As solid as always and sets a fantastic example both on and off the field. Was a critic of his kicking early in his career but it has improved enormously.
Spangher Injury riddled season once again maintained his cult figure status. Missed his flexibility and experience. Would he consider a spot on the rookie list like Ben Hudson has done and Collingwood previously and Jed Adcock at the Bulldogs this year with the promise of an upgrade with Roughy and Cegalr starting the season on the long term injury list?
Puopolo The energiser bunny was his usual self with the Adelaide game at the MCG the highlight. Does Clarko look to use his pace through the midfield more next season?
W Langford What has happened to the Langford of the 2014 finals series? No doubt his name will appear more than once during trade week.
Brand Got a good taste of senior football and certainly didn't look out of place. Looking forward to his continued development as he will certainly get more opportunities next year.
Webster Delist. Tough and tenacious at VFL level however for a smaller type player doesn’t win enough possessions.
Fitzpatrick Showed some encouraging signs when given his chance. Will be battling with Vickery for the forward / back up ruck role next season.
Rioli Outstanding. Enormous forward pressure and had his best goal return for a season.
Heatherley Decent debut against Melbourne and another great year at Box Hill. Will need a big pre-season to get early season games
Burton Kid is going to be a star. Great composure, beautiful foot skills. Will be interesting to see what end of the ground Clarko looks to play him next year.
Lovell Encouraging first season and will look to have a big pre-season. Needs to work on the defensive side of his game to become a regular.
Hardwick Another to debut but will need to add a string to his bow as he cannot be expected to be a permanent forward. Needs to find more of the ball.
Surman Injury interupted year and will need a big pre-season. Showed some signs at Box Hill
Woodward Showed great signs coming back from his knee again. Likely to be kept on the rookie list although with could be promoted early in the season with Roughy and Ceglar out.
Stewart Promising signs in his first season with his attack on the ball and the player. Signed a 2 year contract extension
Howe Devloping well. Reminds me of fomer Hawks Jencke, Andersen and Condon. Not going to be a superstar but will be an old school footballer who does the basics well and a great team player
Miles Great season at Box Hill. Another pre-season in the gym and hopefully gets to make his debut. Signed a 2 year contract extension.
Pittonet Another solid season at Box Hil land got his chance at senior level. Coming along nicely.
Glass Can't wait til he gets a pre-season under his belt and hopefully see him in the NAB Cup
Miller-Lewis Delist. Has talent but lacks consistency. Hope he has a successful WAFL career with South Fremantle.
L Langford Delist. The romance was nice but just not up to it at this point.

Thoughts on where our list is at and possible off-season moves:

Roughead Absolute superstar. Hoping his recovery goes well and he gets back to full health.
Lewis Season best summed up by his 2 finals - inconsistent. Enormous against the Cast and went missing against the Dogs. Likely to be handed the captaincy in 2017
Hartung Young player but at the cross roads. Has shown he can play at this level with his run and carry however needs to find some physicality. Needs a harder edge.
Mitchell Outstanding season again and still our best player. Will his role change with the hopeful inclusions of O'Meara and Tommy Mitchell?
Gibson Outstanding first half of the season and then dropped away. Clubs deploying tactics to keep him out the play. Will be interesting to see what Clarko comes up with next season to nullify opposition tactics.
McEvoy Big year coming up with Ceglar out young Pittonet as back up. Will have part time support from Fitzy and pontentially Vickery. Needs to be more dangerous forward
Duryea Up and down year and really needs to set himself to be come the best small defender in the league which currently belongs to Rory Laird. Has his kicks smothered more than any other player and needs to improve his hands in tight.
Burgoyne Both finals were outstanding.
Hill Like Hartung lacks physicality. Thanks for your service, congrats on the 3 flags and all the best at the Dockers.
Whitecross Inspiring comeback this season and finished the year strongly. Could he potentially be trade bait with the promise of a longer term deal although he has activated a extension on his current contract?
Frawley Solid year although decision making still needs to be worked on. Needs to set himself to getting back to All Australian form.
O'Rourke Make or break year coming if he stays on the list. Looks to handball far to much where he should be looking to break lines and use his foot skills
Birchall Steady although not his normally calm self under pressure at different points of the season. Turned the ball over more than any other player in our 2 finals losses.
Hodge Warrior. Will look to play on the edge in 2017 in what is looking likely as his final season.
Smith Solid season with his tireless run and carry and we shouldn’t hang him out to dry for his Geelong miss. Expect him to rebound strongly.
Litherland Excellent contributor at VFL level but hasn't nailed his chances when promoted. Time is up at the hawks and hopefully we can facilitate a trade for him like we did with Cheney and Lowden.
Ceglar Improving big man who unfortunately will miss the entire season.
Gunston Excellent season considering him he was getting the number defender each week. 50 odd goals a great return
Willsmore Delist. Was unable to break in to the team when we had injuries and form dropped away late in the season. Expect to see him in the SANFL or WAFL
Sicily Great return in his first full year in the seniors. Needs to work on his tank and defensive pressure. Let's hope the rumors are not true and he is not on the trade table.
Breust Another 40+ retrurn and spent more time in the midfield. Will likely spend further time in the midfield next season as teams are putting a lot more work into him. Was getting caught with the ball more this year and his accuracy was down significantly. Again, hope the rumors aren't true and he is in brown and gold again next year.
O'Brien Showed some signs however far to incosistent and doesn’t get the ball enough at either VFl or AFL level and ws overtaken by Sicily. After 5 years in the system I suggest potential trade bait
Stratton His importance was best illustrated when he was out injured and we struggled down back. Great team player.
Shoenmakers Injury cruelled his season abd needs an injury free pre-sason. Showed his value against the Cats but then went missing against the Bulldogs. Needs to take more contested marks
Shiels As solid as always and sets a fantastic example both on and off the field. Was a critic of his kicking early in his career but it has improved enormously.
Spangher Injury riddled season once again maintained his cult figure status. Missed his flexibility and experience. Would he consider a spot on the rookie list like Ben Hudson has done and Collingwood previously and Jed Adcock at the Bulldogs this year with the promise of an upgrade with Roughy and Cegalr starting the season on the long term injury list?
Puopolo The energiser bunny was his usual self with the Adelaide game at the MCG the highlight. Does Clarko look to use his pace through the midfield more next season?
W Langford What has happened to the Langford of the 2014 finals series? No doubt his name will appear more than once during trade week.
Brand Got a good taste of senior football and certainly didn't look out of place. Looking forward to his continued development as he will certainly get more opportunities next year.
Webster Delist. Tough and tenacious at VFL level however for a smaller type player doesn’t win enough possessions.
Fitzpatrick Showed some encouraging signs when given his chance. Will be battling with Vickery for the forward / back up ruck role next season.
Rioli Outstanding. Enormous forward pressure and had his best goal return for a season.
Heatherley Decent debut against Melbourne and another great year at Box Hill. Will need a big pre-season to get early season games
Burton Kid is going to be a star. Great composure, beautiful foot skills. Will be interesting to see what end of the ground Clarko looks to play him next year.
Lovell Encouraging first season and will look to have a big pre-season. Needs to work on the defensive side of his game to become a regular.
Hardwick Another to debut but will need to add a string to his bow as he cannot be expected to be a permanent forward. Needs to find more of the ball.
Surman Injury interupted year and will need a big pre-season. Showed some signs at Box Hill
Woodward Showed great signs coming back from his knee again. Likely to be kept on the rookie list although with could be promoted early in the season with Roughy and Ceglar out.
Stewart Promising signs in his first season with his attack on the ball and the player. Signed a 2 year contract extension
Howe Devloping well. Reminds me of fomer Hawks Jencke, Andersen and Condon. Not going to be a superstar but will be an old school footballer who does the basics well and a great team player
Miles Great season at Box Hill. Another pre-season in the gym and hopefully gets to make his debut. Signed a 2 year contract extension.
Pittonet Another solid season at Box Hil land got his chance at senior level. Coming along nicely.
Glass Can't wait til he gets a pre-season under his belt and hopefully see him in the NAB Cup
Miller-Lewis Delist. Has talent but lacks consistency. Hope he has a successful WAFL career with South Fremantle.
L Langford Delist. The romance was nice but just not up to it at this point.

Great summary Caseman!

Only points of contention for me were your reviews of Shiels & McEvoy (think you were a tad generous in both of these).

For me Shiels had too many games were he was getting mid teen possessions. I know he brings a strong defensive element but if you are a full time midfielder in todays AFL and you can't average over 20 possessions then you are off the pace.

Big Boy also looks well and truelly cooked to me and I will be very surprised if he pulls on the boots next year.

I feel like this thread was relatively straight forward 6 weeks ago...

Webster/Willsmore/JML/Spangher/Litherland/Hill OUT

JOM/TOM/Ty etc IN

Stewart UPGRDADED

But now it seems that we might be thrown a few curveballs...

Breust, JOR, McEvoy, Brand, Langford, Hartung OUT?

Hill now staying?

Jarman FS?

Morabito IN?

A new ruckman IN?

A new KPD IN?

This offseason will be a corker at this rate.

I feel like this thread was relatively straight forward 6 weeks ago...

Webster/Willsmore/JML/Spangher/Litherland/Hill OUT

JOM/TOM/Ty etc IN

Stewart UPGRDADED

But now it seems that we might be thrown a few curveballs...

Breust, JOR, McEvoy, Brand, Langford, Hartung OUT?

Hill now staying?

Jarman FS?

Morabito IN?

A new ruckman IN?

A new KPD IN?

This offseason will be a corker at this rate.

Hill will definitely go for mine as the club wont want him to walk next year.

I doubt if Hill goes that we will let JOR and Hartung go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back