Luke Hodge v Chris Judd

Who would you pick first?

• Luke Hodge

Votes: 218 37.8%
  • Chris Judd

Votes: 359 62.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm almost (definitely) sure Hawthorn supporters are trolling, no one actually thinks Hodge is a better player than Judd. That would be straight up delusional lmao.

Another big finals series & flag 4 Hodge, & Juddy's goose is cooked.

Delusional Blues fans.

Actually not that many were. That was something that popped up more after he snagged the Brownlow. Judd was top 5 midfielder in MVP and AFLCA award voting that season. Some reckoned he should've had Montagna's place in the starting 18 - but unsurprising to see a Hawk poster run with the former and ignore the latter. It's a furphy now to claim he was undeserving of AA that year as fact. What else would you expect from a top 5 rated mid?

Everyone was. I remember it. He most definitely was not a top 5 mid that year.

Judd was a four time All Australian at Carlton, more than Hodge has had his entire career. You can ramble on about "outstanding" whatever, it's clear that you underrate the guy's performance while at the Blues.

Judd 2009 - Champion Data average 110.9 - All Australian
Judd 2008 - Champion Data average 109.9 - All Australian

Hodge 2007 - Champion Data average - 110.7 - No All Australian
Hodge 2015 - Champion Data average - 108.2 - No All Australian

Judd only needed to demonstrate good form, and average a high amount of possessions to be almost guaranteed entry. Hodge, (like mitchell who is also 3Xaa) hasn't had that luxury.

Luke Hodge drove a car drunk only weeks after his assistant coaches son was killed in a drink driving episode in which he attended the funeral, please stop with this "he is a good bloke" business.

Judds incidents were due to the frustration of taggers.....something Hodge has never had to worry about.

Because Hodge is a gun player that is unable to be tagged :D

Hodge is a good bloke, he didn't kill anyone and he copped his punishment willingly

booooooooooooooooooom

This is still going?

Judd isn't fit to polish Hodge's shoes.

Hodge is a million times the leader. Dirty campaigner, but I wouldn't care, he'd be one of my first picked.

Nah. That was definitely a question being asked of him by many at the end of 2012. Good for him he turned it around and put in some good years. Not his best years, but good ones all the same. I do think though, that his team's success has made those years look better to some than they really are in isolation.
Yes it was being asked prematurely. It was just a bit of injury, that's all.

Everyone was. I remember it. He most definitely was not a top 5 mid that year.

Flawed memory. Just head on back to the 2010 All Australian Bigfooty thread for an unfettered dose of reality. Prior to the team announcement, Judd was listed in most predicted teams without a whimper of objection. During the live line-by-line team announcement people were still predicting Judd's inclusion after he wasn't named in the centre line, some predicted him in the starting 18 Followers line. Following the the team announcement, about the only issue people had with Judd was in relation to Hayes' omission, along with others i.e. Hayes could go in over any of Selwood, Pendlebury or Judd. But no, there was no massive outcry over Judd's selection that year.

Nah, this furphy really built after he won the Brownlow, where it morphed from "but Judd only made the AA bench" to "Judd was lucky to make the AA bench" (despite most punters having him in their team prior to its announcement). Now you've locked this in as something that extended prior to, during and just following the AA team announcement, as though it was thoroughly undeserved in fact. But nah, that's total bullshit. Your memory is false; frail as the mind may sometimes be.

As for being a top 5 mid, I can only refer you to the AFLCA Award and MVP voting as per my comment. And yes, beyond your memories and opinion, you'll find he was most definitely rated this way in those awards.

Could you please quantify this? Hodge's career has holes all over it consistency wise and despite Judd being retired a for nearly two whole seasons now, Hodge has still only played 5 more games overall. Consistent for longer? I don't see it. You're going to need to spell out your reasoning as supported by facts and figures etc.

EDIT: Cracked up at detox claiming Hodge as better than Judd at Carlton. Biggest rewrite of history on BF. No one would have claimed this with a straight face a few years ago while Judd was playing; and Hodge's best seasons were prior to that too. Those Hawk blokes really do turn it up for their man don't they? It's a pisser.
It's just been my observation having watched both play since they were drafted. Judd came out of the blocks on fire, Hodge took longer but has been a champ for some time.

Judd is still the better player. His form at West Coast was unbelievable. He had many better seasons than Hodge. However, he seemed to hit a wall quickly.

I would draft Judd every day of the week if I had the choice, but I maintain that Hodge has been consistently good for a long time while Judd is a victim of his own brilliance at West Coast.

It's just been my observation having watched both play since they were drafted. Judd came out of the blocks on fire, Hodge took longer but has been a champ for some time.

Judd is still the better player. His form at West Coast was unbelievable. He had many better seasons than Hodge. However, he seemed to hit a wall quickly.

I would draft Judd every day of the week if I had the choice, but I maintain that Hodge has been consistently good for a long time while Judd is a victim of his own brilliance at West Coast.

It's fair to say that Judd''s star shone brightest in his first 5 years....Definitely a super-star....But Hodges' body of work, since 2008 onward, has seen his graph-line catch-up & even excel Judd's career.

Yes, Juddy looked prettier & more graceful with the ball in hand....But Hodge has been far More steady, successful & effective.

No one trolls the Hawks over their number 1 selection in 2001 any more....Because they can't.

Man some Hawk posters are delusional. Since 2008 the bloke has one club BnF and 2 All Australians.

All Australians are irrelevant when Judd gets in by default. I have already posted statistical examples of Hodge having at a bare minimum equal impact to two of Judds All Australian Seasons in which Hodge wasn't selected.

Its the same as Mitchell who is also a 3X AA. Hodge, Mitchell (and Hawthorn in general) are massively under represented in AA selections compared to the other teams that were strong at that prospective time. Look at Sydney this year with five Selections. Geelong with nine In 2007. The most we ever had in any of the last eight years was two if I recall correctly.

Judd was so fawned over he would only have to produce a reasonable season to get automatic entry. Hodge has been screwed over many an occasion. He should have been in in 2007, 2015 and possibly 2013 too as a defender. Mitchell even more so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All Australians are irrelevant when Judd gets in by default ... Hodge has been screwed over many an occasion.

Right. Cognitive dissonance at its finest. Judd gets AA's and MVP's for being average, meanwhile Hodge is just a grossly mistreated and underrated superstar. Great story. Wipes away lines of inconvenient realities.

What you posted was Champion Data points. It's just a terrible argument.

Funny how there are an extra 335 paid environmental watchers courtesy of Visy lately.......... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ;-) :D

#juddbribedthem
I don't even like Judd given the infamous chicken wing which effectively ended Leigh Adams career (was never the same player), but I view football objectively, and thats why most non-Hawthorn supporters have voted accordingly. Baring a miracle Judd will always be Hodge's superior. :cool:

Right. Cognitive dissonance at its finest. Judd gets AA's and MVP's for being average, meanwhile Hodge is just a grossly mistreated and underrated superstar. Great story. Wipes away lines of inconvenient realities.

What you posted was Champion Data points. It's just a terrible argument.
I never said he was average mate. Judd obviously perfomered well in his AA years wether he deserved to make it or not. However Hodge has been hard done by, as has Mitchell and a lot of other Hawthorn players. AA selection stats vs Geelong/Brisbane/Sydney eras would confirm that Hawthorn are certainly stastically unrepresented compared to their counterparts in their most successful periods.

It was you who used AA Selections to talk down Hodge. Hodge has put in seasons at least equal to ones of Judd, in which Judd has made the side . Champion data was one point of reference which at least partially backs this up, which of course you choose to ignore.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

I don't even like Judd given the infamous chicken wing which effectively ended Leigh Adams career (was never the same player), but I view football objectively, and thats why most non-Hawthorn supporters have voted accordingly. Baring a miracle Judd will always be Hodge's superior. :cool:

Except where it matters - grand final wins!

We are talking about individuals, and individually Judd was way better, always has been, and probably always will be. Majority rules. You lose. :cool:

Hodge wins he's a good bloke with more norm smith medals and more premierships, a hotter wife AND supreme driving skills - you know the things that actually matter.

We are talking about individuals, and individually Judd was way better, always has been, and probably always will be. Majority rules. You lose. :cool:

Last I checked....Hodge still aint finished just yet..:)

Judd at West Coast was exceptional....Nothing he did at Carlton transcended anything Hodge has done....Judd stood out in poor to mediocre side, is all.

Hodge's finals & Grand Final record, eclipses anything Judd ever did.

Hodge has 4 flags on the back of 21 other blokes to help him get him there. Put him in a team like Carlton and he would be a good-average player.

Judd had enough pure talent to carry his team to the finals despite how many holes on the list and spud players on the field.

Judd >>> Hodge

Objectively.

Back