If you could change an AFL team's nickname

Remove this Banner Ad

The Dockers name has more history behind it than any other club. Prefer it any day over some generic animal picked out of a hat.

what is the history? I didn't think the term dockers was used in the west

or are you referring to the pants which prohibited Freo using the name for a couple of years?

Fremantle Bullsharks?

brilliant

it's hard to believe they didn't come up with that themselves

what about the purple headed love warriors?

Fremantle have a disgusting name by being Wharfies.

Why the hell did they want to become scum of the Earth? :rolleyes:

Power is great when you realise it's not about Thunder or Electricity but about Might and Strength. It's "we've got the Power to win", not "we've got the Power to start up our Xboxes"

Dockers is one they should have found a better word for

But your logo/mascot is a lightning bolt?

What a shite OP/thread...this in particular...

Preferably i would change both nicknames into animal based ones to be consistent with the rest of the league, or at least ones which actually represent something (like The "Kings" or "Wizards" for example).

You are a simpleton.

Back in the early 80's when talk of club relocations was all the rage Jack Dyer (or his ghostwriter) suggested that Collingwood relocate to the Philippines and in honour of our GF efforts we could become the "Manila Folders".......ha bloody ha.
Gold!!!

Without a a second thought, I would change Hawthorn from the 'Hawks' to the 'w***ers'.

Edit: The censored word isn't that bad. Just starts with 'W' and rhymes with 'tankers'.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast. "Suns" is about as cheesy as nicknames get. I would change them to the "Gold Coast Lifeguards" or "Guards". Seriously. Anything but Suns.

I like alliteration

Adelaide Arachnids
Brisbane Bananas
Carlton Cappuccinos
Collingwood Criminals
Essendon Elephants
Fremantle Fish
Footscray Pho
Geelong Gears
Gold Coast Grommets
Hawthorn Hemlocks
Melbourne Magistrates
North Melbourne Nightingales
Port Adelaide Picklers
Richmond Rabbits
St Kilda Sweets
Sydney Slippers
West Coast Whine
Western Sydney Wolverines

:p

Definitely the Dockers. This club had many good potential emblems upon its formation; the Dolphins, the Marlins, the Stingrays, the Rams, the Mariners, the Pirates, but went for the dismal Dockers emblem.

I may be in the minority here as a Collingwood fan, but I wouldn't object to the Port Adelaide Magpies rather than the Power. It wouldn't be the end of the world having two Magpies in the AFL; after all there are two Tigers in the VFL (Werribee and Richmond).

I don't mind the new clubs emblems of the Suns and the Giants, but have always felt they were the wrong way around. Gold Coast Giants alliterates nicely, and works well with the high-rise buildings found in the region. The main color of the GWS jumper is orange, and the sun rising over the Blue Mountains and the hills of Canberra fits well with this team.

If it's an animal, and it aint Australian - change it.
if it's a domesticated animal that may go feral - change it.
if it's intangible - change it.
if it's mechanical - change it.
if it's a vocation - change it.
if it's a mythological creature - change it.
if it's a celestial body that would burn you to a cinder if ever embraced - change it.
if it's fauna unique to this land - well done.
if it's a human that has transcended to a spiritual being - perfect.

I like alliteration

Adelaide Arachnids
Brisbane Bananas
Carlton Cappuccinos
Collingwood Criminals
Essendon Elephants
Fremantle Fish
Footscray Pho
Geelong Gears
Gold Coast Grommets
Hawthorn Hemlocks
Melbourne Magistrates