If you could change an AFL team's nickname

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you guys actually believe this or you just convince yourselves it is true to explain why you have such a crap generic name?
"Perth Eagles" is more generic than "West Coast Eagles". Pretty sure there were no Australian sporting teams with the name "West Coast" in 1987.

A direct quote from my pop when Gold Coast first joined the comp
"Gold Coast Suns?...they may have just called them the 'whipper snippers'"
So I think they should be known as the Gold Coast Whipper Snippers

Adelaide Air
West Coast Winners
The Fremantle ****-Blockers
Port Adelaide Flowers

The Collingwood Convicts
The Geelong Pigs (Lingy the logo)
The St Kilda Sexists
The Gold Coast Guns

The Western Poodles (broaden their appeal)
Hawthorn Thorns
The Sydney Blood Transfusions
Melbourne Menstruaters

The Brisbane Brick Lickers
North Melbourne Chickens
The Essendon Expediters
GWS G-Spots (still finding their way)

The Carlton Lols (Carrrrn the Lols! Can you smell what the lols are cookin'?!)

No we are the Fremantle Football Club.
Had problems with does not mean could not use.

LOL. No, not your nickname at all.

Actual_fremantle_logo.png

In fact, you even moved away from the word 'Dockers' because Levi Strauss Co. said you should, then the Steves brought it back.

Maybe we could have used 'Perth' in our name, I was two years old when the club was formed so I really wasn't intimately involved. Anyway, we are what we are and we don't try to pretend we're anyone else.

LOL. No, not your nickname at all.

Actual_fremantle_logo.png

In fact, you even moved away from the word 'Dockers' because Levi Strauss Co. said you should, then the Steves brought it back.

Maybe we could have used 'Perth' in our name, I was two years old when the club was formed so I really wasn't intimately involved. Anyway, we are what we are and we don't try to pretend we're anyone else.
Nope we are The Fremantle Football Club t/a The Fremantle Football Club.

http://abr.business.gov.au/SearchByAbn.aspx?abn=83066055249

Indian Pacific Limited t/a West Coast Football Club also own the business names Perth Eagles and Perth Pirates and could start trading as them tomorrow

Ever been attacked by one? It isn't fun I can promise you lol
Bloody things attacked me at Lake Monger when I was a kid. A pissed off swan is a huge hissing snapping lump of fury. In the words of the cops everywhere, "when approached by the offender, I ran in the opposite direction at a fast rate of speed."

I think it's a good nickname.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloody things attacked me at Lake Monger when I was a kid. A pissed off swan is a huge hissing snapping lump of fury. In the words of the cops everywhere, "when approached by the offender, I ran in the opposite direction at a fast rate of speed."

Sorry, "decamped" not "ran". "I decamped in a westerly direction at a fast rate of speed."

There'll be a few Pies supporters on this board who'll be familiar with the lingo.

After getting into a little 'tete ta tete' with one at the Botanic Gardens in the late 80's, I don't underestimate their intimidatory qualities. Not only are they nasty and aggressive, they are strong bastards too.

Ha, similar thing happened to us when I went there as a kid. They are quite surprisingly aggressive things when they get a sniff of food.

Geelong Hoops or Seagulls.
Never liked the "cats". Such a wussy mascot/emblem.

Power is by far the worst and, IMO the only one that needs changing/abandoning.
Says a Packers fan.

Why do people think team nicknames have to be "tough" and "intimidating" to be cool?

The two most successful VFL clubs of the 1900's were nicknamed the Magpies and the Blues - nothing "scary" about that
Two of the modern day successful AFL clubs are nicknamed the Cats and the Swans - nothing "scary" about that either.

Nicknames of some of the great sporting dynasties and famous teams overseas:

NFL: 49ers, Cowboys, Packers, Colts, Saints
MLB: Yankees, Cardinals, Red Sox, Dodgers
NBA: Lakers, Celtics, Heat, Spurs, Pistons, Jazz
NHL: Oilers, Canadiens, Islanders, Penguins, Red Wings
EPL: Blues, Reds, Sky Bues, United, Peacocks, Spurs
La Liga: Los Blancos (The Whites)
Serie A: La Vecchia Signora (The Old Lady)
South America: Los Xeneizes (The Genoese), Mengão (Big Mengo), Timão (Great Team)

Nothing particularly tough or intimidating about any of those names and yet their legion of fans wouldn't trade their club nickname for anything.

Last edited:
The Dockers name has more history behind it than any other club. Prefer it any day over some generic animal picked out of a hat.

"Perth Eagles" is more generic than "West Coast Eagles". Pretty sure there were no Australian sporting teams with the name "West Coast" in 1987.

Because the term 'west coast' did not exist in this country prior to 1987.

In this state, we talk of WA and the eastern states. There is no 'west coast' or 'east coast'.

There is one country is did exist in though: the USA. Unsurprisingly, the corporate types who got your 'club' going were pretty enamoured with America.

Why do people think team nicknames have to be "tough" and "intimidating" to be cool?

The two most successful VFL clubs of the 1900's were nicknamed the Magpies and the Blues - nothing "scary" about that
Two of the modern day successful AFL clubs are nicknamed the Cats and the Swans - nothing "scary" about that either.

Nicknames of some of the great sporting dynasties and famous teams overseas:

NFL: 49ers, Cowboys, Packers, Colts, Saints
MLB: Yankees, Cardinals, Red Sox, Dodgers
NBA: Lakers, Celtics, Heat, Spurs, Pistons, Jazz
NHL: Oilers, Canadiens, Islanders, Penguins, Red Wings
EPL: Blues, Reds, Sky Bues, United, Peacocks, Spurs
La Liga: Los Blancos (The Whites)
Serie A: La Vecchia Signora (The Old Lady)
South America: Los Xeneizes (The Genoese), Mengão (Big Mengo), Timão (Great Team)

Nothing particularly tough or intimidating about any of those names and yet their legion of fans wouldn't trade their club nickname for anything.
Have you ever been swooped by a magpie? My childhood revolved around avoiding them darn things

Remove this Banner Ad

Back