Review Winners and Losers - 2016 AFL National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

do fremantle need that many tall defenders. you have some really good ones already in alex pearce (CHB) and sam collins (FB). add to that logue who will be an amazing player and hamling who has proven himself at the WB this year...

why is there a need to take brennan? is it just a depth selection?

Definitely have a few now (8). A Pearce, Hamling, Collins, Johnson, Dawson, Uebergang (Rookie), Logue, Cox

I think eventually A Pearce, Hamling will be our main two talls and Logue will be the third tall. All under the age of 23 so should have plenty of years ahead of them to gel. Collins and Ueber will be depth and I think Cox will be sent to Peel's forward line (Freo's media team were listing Cox as a forward).

Our Peel side next year will be very tall with all these extra defenders and us having 5 ruckman too! (Sandi, Apeness, Clarke, Griff, Darcy)

Freo will have another fairly big cull next year which will include quite a few of these talls (Griff, Johnson, Dawson, Sandi?)

How can there be winners and losers before anyone's played a game
Stupid thread

I think that you can have winners or losers at this stage. Not necessarily the best draft hall out of any clubs, Like our draftees are better than yours, but "winning" the draft with selections for clubs needs.

For example, the Swans selecting D. Cameron @ 48 (our last pick in the draft) is a massive win for the squad that we have. After losing Nankervis, who played a lot of games last year due to injuries, we needed to draft a Ruckman that had the ability to come into the AFL and play. Really at worst, Cameron will be a serviceable backup for injuries. At best, he could force his way into our team and have a great career as Rucks develop late. Not to mention he can cover in place for KPF.

ie. A club realizes weaknesses in their squad and tries to address these.

Brisbane seemingly win every draft on draft day, the problem is they all leave.

Yep. They tend to take the highest rated player, without considering if that player will be happy to spend the next ten years living in Queensland.
Think Anisworth was the right pick, kid had openly said I want to play footy for this club.
McCluggage could be an absolute gun, but if he leaves in two years time it doesn't really matter.

I think that you can have winners or losers at this stage. Not necessarily the best draft hall out of any clubs, Like our draftees are better than yours, but "winning" the draft with selections for clubs needs.

The question with these late picks always has to be 'Why did other clubs not pick Player X' ??

Carlton took this McCreadie at Pick 48 and people on our board (and others) are claiming he's a 'steal'. But have to confess it seems a bit suss that GWS passed on him as an academy or zone player.

For example, the Swans selecting D. Cameron @ 48 (our last pick in the draft) is a massive win for the squad that we have. After losing Nankervis, who played a lot of games last year due to injuries, we needed to draft a Ruckman that had the ability to come into the AFL and play. Really at worst, Cameron will be a serviceable backup for injuries. At best, he could force his way into our team and have a great career as Rucks develop late. Not to mention he can cover in place for KPF.

ie. A club realizes weaknesses in their squad and tries to address these.

Very much spot on, can also be about what clubs did with a certain selection. Did Clubs make the right or wrong call with any given pick.
Swans nailed the draft IMO, picked very well for there needs.

The question with these late picks always has to be 'Why did other clubs not pick Player X' ??

Carlton took this McCreadie at Pick 48 and people on our board (and others) are claiming he's a 'steal'. But have to confess it seems a bit suss that GWS passed on him as an academy or zone player.
GWS passed on the academy pucks I reckon mainly due to Setterfield, Perryman and Cummings bid on in the first round. (Note: Cummings end of first round priority pick).

Plus list needs after their cull. I wouldn't read to much in GWS not matching Mutch, McCreadie etc...

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep. They tend to take the highest rated player, without considering if that player will be happy to spend the next ten years living in Queensland.
Think Anisworth was the right pick, kid had openly said I want to play footy for this club.
McCluggage could be an absolute gun, but if he leaves in two years time it doesn't really matter.

Agreed but the retention thing is kind of based on one bad year (GH5) Since then we've had no major walk outs except for Aish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very much spot on, can also be about what clubs did with a certain selection. Did Clubs make the right or wrong call with any given pick.
Swans nailed the draft IMO, picked very well for there needs.
From my perspective we nailed our draft. I am not saying we are the best, our draftees are the best but like I said we filled list needs:

D. Cameron - We needed a mature ruck, hope he develops into a good AFL player but has a role as a back up Ruckman already in our team.

W. Hayward - We lost Titch, Mcglynn, XR over the offseason and that is a lot of goals/forward pressure. Definitely a list need.

O. Florent - Our team is lacking any outside pace what's so ever. Our first pick had to address this weakness.

J. Maibaum - We have Grundy (old), Aliir & Talia (who has shown he is better at taking drugs or messenging than playing football). We need KPD depth, and this pick addresses that.

I have no idea which if any will actually come on and be quality AFL players, but our recruiting team addressed squad needs.

So in response to you saying we nailed the draft, thought I would give an opinion on the draft Hall.

Not having seen many of the players in action I can't really judge any clubs draft but I don't understand North's draft.

Their senior list is clearly light on for midfielders yet from what I can tell they added to their hordes of flankers and kpps with this years draft picks.

Footy manager said straight after they see Simpkin as a mid in a few years, Williams is a lightning quick mid/winger. Got Ahern too, Hrovat can go through there, Clarke and Dumont both young, promising mids who should play every game next year. Reckon that's a good start, but yes, will need more next year.

Plus we are going to be throwing dentist money around to guns next year. I have no idea how we'll reach minimum cap spend.

Agreed but the retention thing is kind of based on one bad year (GH5) Since then we've had no major walk outs except for Aish.
Yeah true.
The look on McCluggage's face told the tale though last night. Was not too impressed I'd say. Hopefully he gets up there and grows to enjoy it

Footy manager said straight after they see Simpkin as a mid in a few years, Williams is a lightning quick mid/winger. Got Ahern too, Hrovat can go through there, Clarke and Dumont both young, promising mids who should play every game next year. Reckon that's a good start, but yes, will need more next year.

Plus we are going to be throwing dentist money around to guns next year. I have no idea how we'll reach minimum cap spend.
Adding Mitch Hibberd and mountford into that midfield. 2018 is going to be a fascinating year in terms of our midfield structures.

From my perspective we nailed our draft. I am not saying we are the best, our draftees are the best but like I said we filled list needs:

D. Cameron - We needed a mature ruck, hope he develops into a good AFL player but has a role as a back up Ruckman already in our team.

W. Hayward - We lost Titch, Mcglynn, XR over the offseason and that is a lot of goals/forward pressure. Definitely a list need.

O. Florent - Our team is lacking any outside pace what's so ever. Our first pick had to address this weakness.

J. Maibaum - We have Grundy (old), Aliir & Talia (who has shown he is better at taking drugs or messenging than playing football). We need KPD depth, and this pick addresses that.

I have no idea which if any will actually come on and be quality AFL players, but our recruiting team addressed squad needs.

So in response to you saying we nailed the draft, thought I would give an opinion on the draft Hall.

You guys killed it in terms of addressing list needs. I was intially annoyed to have missed on Florent, but I'm happy with Simpkin.

I've seen nothing to suggest McCluggage will leave in two years. He always maintained he'd be happy to go anywhere. Plus he's been drafted with Berry, whom he played with at Vic Country and the Rebels. Would have only gone to Gold Coast had Brisbane not selected him anyway.

Yeah you guys picked really well. I wanted Hayward at pick 27, was never going to make that far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back