Review Winners and Losers - 2016 AFL National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

480033_nl.jpg

But look at them! Clearly crying out for help.
I thought he looked like he dodged a massive bullet. I am sure he picked up a paper in the last few years.

Win: GCS, Bris, Port, Syd
Lose: Melb, Hawks, Ess
???: Rich: Don't mind their picks, but why only take 3 at the start of a rebuild?

The start of a rebuild? Strange perspective.

We got 3 absolute steals in this draft and have 2 1sts, a 2nd and 2 3rds in the deep draft of 2017. Prestia, Caddy and Nankervis off-season inclusions and likely a few more in 2017 FA.

Well placed.

???: Rich: Don't mind their picks, but why only take 3 at the start of a rebuild?

Not sure they are actually rebuilding, but if they were and starting with a small forward/wingman, they must have rated him as the best available.

I just found it really strange that all 3 players have (especially the last 2 picks, seriously) questionable disposal, seems to be they drafted purely on who they thought was best available at that selection.

Winners
Gold Coast
Brisbane
GWS
Port Adelaide
Sydney
Essendon

Losers
Hawthorn
Melbourne
Collingwood

Not having seen many of the players in action I can't really judge any clubs draft but I don't understand North's draft.

Their senior list is clearly light on for midfielders yet from what I can tell they added to their hordes of flankers and kpps with this years draft picks.
What's not to understand?
We needed outside mids with silk who we got in Simpkin and Williams. Watson is a KPD, and besides Tarrant we don't have any decent others. Larkey can play either end.
We also traded in Ahern, a first round mid.
Plus all the mids we drafted last year in Clarke, Mountford and Wagner.

I don't think having late picks automatically means we lost the draft. We did alright with the picks we had, a decent flanker type with finished 2nd in goalkicking accuracy and 4th in agility and beep test at the draft sounds pretty good for Pick 78. Was ranked in the top 50 pre-draft.

A big underaged ruck/forward with Pick 80 something also sounds like a good gamble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's just pi$$ed that Dodoro picked the midget back flanker.
Boekhorst lol.

Very happy to pick up the best kid in the country with pick 1. We now have the top two 2017 Rising Star Award chances on our list according to the bookies (Sportsbet). Excellent youf.

Last edited:
Gold Coast - its now about retaining the Victorian boys. In Scrimshaw, Ainsworth and Brodie they have 3 different types - Ainsworth and Brodie are Round 1 ready players with a good pre season behind them, so is Bowes. Scrimshaw is very similar to Kolodjashnij at least initially but may become a taller midfielder in the future and Scheer that late was a bargain

Brisbane - Witherden, Berry and Cox. All good picks for them and McCluggage is a number one pick that slid basically. There medium / small sized back line deficiences were addressed and Allison is a sweetener. Was surprised to see an unmatched bid on Watson, presume because the North bid was just to early for them to even consider a match.

As for a loser it's hard to put a finger on a day after the draft but I was really surprised with the approach North took. Simpkin's a beauty, they get a tick for that and am not surprised that they bid on Brown when they did but Watson seemed a long reach for me when other key position talent was available and than bidding on a real project player in Williams.

What's not to understand?
We needed outside mids with silk who we got in Simpkin and Williams. Watson is a KPD, and besides Tarrant we don't have any decent others. Larkey can play either end.
We also traded in Ahern, a first round mid.
Plus all the mids we drafted last year in Clarke, Mountford and Wagner.

North did what they had to do.....speed.
Collected a very good crop of kids the last 2 drafts . A solid B in my opinion.

Well we had a win I guess, got to keep our first pick and got both our father sons.
Would the Pies have picked Brown and Daicos if they weren't father sons? Seems like the Pies now have a lack of talls. Lost 6 talls gained 3 (if you count Keefe as a new player). You wouldn't want any injuries to talls next season.

Would the Pies have picked Brown and Daicos if they weren't father sons? Seems like the Pies now have a lack of talls. Lost 6 talls gained 3 (if you count Keefe as a new player). You wouldn't want any injuries to talls next season.
We replaced Brown with Dunn and Frost with Mclarty, and as you said we have Keefe coming back so he'll replace Marsh.

As for the fwd line we haven't replaced Cloke, but Cox is coming on and both Reid and Mclarty can play fwd if needed.

We replaced Brown with Dunn and Frost with Mclarty, and as you said we have Keefe coming back so he'll replace Marsh.

As for the fwd line we haven't replaced Cloke, but Cox is coming on and both Reid and Mclarty can play fwd if needed.
You also lost Gault and Witts. So not much tall depth. Maybe you will fill that in the rookie draft.
Cox is very much a project who should never have been getting a game infront of Cloke ,and is a defensive liability in the forward line.

Not sure they are actually rebuilding, but if they were and starting with a small forward/wingman, they must have rated him as the best available.

I just found it really strange that all 3 players have (especially the last 2 picks, seriously) questionable disposal, seems to be they drafted purely on who they thought was best available at that selection.
Not sure about Graham. 68% DE for an inside mid isn't terrible. SPS had 61% KE in the Colts but people don't question his kicking.
That said, it sounds like it needs a little bit of work and at pick 53 you aren't going to pick up the perfect player.

As for Garthwaite, his kicking action is awkward but extremely effective. 71% kicking efficiency (74% DE) is a very good return for a key defender.

Two of the bigger surprises on the night.
Venables being picked earlier then expected @12 and Gallucci going at pick 15.
Also surprised clubs didn't make GCS work harder to get Bowes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back