Review Winners and Losers - 2016 AFL National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Brisbane should have taken Ainsworth. He is a potential gun and wanted to go there. Not many players as eager as him to play for the Lions.
His comments were massively over hyped though. He was hardly begging to go to the Lions. He pretty much said he'd be happy to go anywhere including Brisbane. That's it.

Half the competition rated McCluggage at #1. We could hardly pass on that talent at Pick 3.

His comments were massively over hyped though. He was hardly begging to go to the Lions. He pretty much said he'd be happy to go anywhere including Brisbane. That's it.

Half the competition rated McCluggage at #1. We could hardly pass on that talent at Pick 3.

You got a steal mate. Bank it.
Better character too.

Why was he taken Late?
I would love him to turn out like that but see Marshall and Josh Battle taken ahead, what am I missing?
Marshall is 5 cms taller and more stand-out KPP. Battle is more built and is better at ground level, hard match up. Having said that, it would not surprise me if quite a few clubs would have Kerr ahead of Battle.

Whilst Kerr could be a Gunston, he could also turn out to be a Liam Jones... however at least Kerr uses is long arms and not try chest marking like Jones likes to do.

I've seen nothing to suggest McCluggage will leave in two years. He always maintained he'd be happy to go anywhere. Plus he's been drafted with Berry, whom he played with at Vic Country and the Rebels. Would have only gone to Gold Coast had Brisbane not selected him anyway.

Yeah well the negative nellies and doomsayer oracles on BF like to take the facial expression of a young, green bloke probably more nervous by the media coverage than anything else, and read it as gospel that McLuggage will leave in 2 years.

Don't worry, I am optimistic that by 2019 Brisbane is a happy, fun and young player friendly environment, people said Carlton were for a decade of pain/hurt after Malthouse got sacked and we lost Yarran/Henderson/Menzel etc, footy environments can change pretty quickly if you get the right people in charge, and I think Fagan is a ripper appointment, and you're getting your player welfare stuff sorted up there, you'll be fine, don't pay attention to some of the nuffies, The Lions look fine (probably got better young blokes than my mob and clubs like Richmond and North, although I am very happy with Weitering and some of our other kids). 8 wins is a reasonable target for Brisbane to aim for next season.

I do one of these each year; clear winners and questionable calls because jt hasnt been 24 hours too eary to judge yet

Adelaide: win good mix with much needed inside mid in poholke, good athletic runner in galluci and probably not needed but a potential swingman in himmelberg who i rate
Brisbane: win smart recruiting picking up good mates in berry and mclug. Addressed back half ball use and rebound with the loss of hanley; cox and witherden in the 20s steal
Carlton: win kerr late no matched bid for macraedie and fisher who i wont be suprised is the best out of their haul even with sos
Collingwood: questionable; although he was a need mclarty very early even when cox was avaliabke. Had mclarty as a rookie. Father sons and kirkby who isnt a bad get in his range
Essendon: win with clarke and much so late steal like begleys big body
Fremantle: winners of the draft imo. Logue gun, cox gun, ryan late draft steal only query is darcy so high itll take time if they can turn him into a sandilands/mumford mk2 really like their picks with dawson/johnson going soon and replacement for suban/mzungu/c pearce well done.
Geelong: win seem to be going for flare and crowd favourites in narkle rataguleoa and parfitt. Stewart seems a solid pick up dont know a thing about their later picks
Gcs and gws: meh nothing needs to be said
Hawks: win for taking the piss
Melbourne: questionable; dont know anything about their later picks even with ok players in ryan garthwaite etc avaliable
North: ok like larkey late couple academy boys and simpkin. So jealous they seem to always take my favourites; durdin a few years. Back
Richmond: win graham and gartheaite late rate them both, bolton as theirfirst pick is a win hopefully flight risk rumours are false and they can keep him
St kilda: questionable; picking up battle when they have a few pretty good options. Long was a bit early but watching his vfl performances he seems a star
Sydney: close runner up to freo in win. Florent jet, hayward jet, maibum solid,
Cameron finally gets his chance. I dont know how but they seem to be ultra consistent in drafts every year; rose dawson now hayward please send one to alberton
Eagles: third place in win. Really rate venabks and rotham mix aswell as riolli late like sydney know how to pick players
Dogs: Win dont know any kf their late players english could be a steal as lipinski

As for port marshall and powell pepper win. Atley and drew, i would have liked a cleaner user of the footy as pretty much all 3 mids have knocks on their kicking

One day I hope the Dogs can finish last, trade away a top liner or two , lose a player to free agency then have lots of picks in the top 30 in a strong draft.
Then we can celebrate "winning" the draft.

One day I hope the Dogs can finish last, trade away a top liner or two , lose a player to free agency then have lots of picks in the top 30 in a strong draft.
Then we can celebrate "winning" the draft.
Surely you haven't forgotten winning the compromised 2010 draft with 2 FS that would have been top 10 picks that you picked up for 20 something and 40 something

I could be wrong but I think Brisbane have done remarkably well in 3 of the last 4 drafts (2013, 2015 and 2016).

Aish
Gardiner
McStay
Taylor
Cutler
Freeman

Schache
Hipwood
Keays
Mathieson

McCluggage
Berry
Witherden
Cox

It is not a bad list of players at all.

Its easy to do well in a draft when you keep finishing at the bottom of the ladder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sup, I was pretty sure you won on that day. No hindsight about it
Not according to the experts on Bigfooty and media. People seem to want to declare winners and losers before anyone has played .
I remember a poster upset that the Dogs passed on Aish.
Another one was disappointed we picked Bont ahead of Scharenberg.
You win some and you lose plenty . The key is to have a few wins in in quick succession and you can build a solid list .

Not according to the experts on Bigfooty and media. People seem to want to declare winners and losers before anyone has played .
I remember a poster upset that the Dogs passed on Aish.
Another one was disappointed we picked Bont ahead of Scharenberg.
You win some and you lose plenty . The key is to have a few wins in in quick succession and you can build a solid list .
2010 you got Wallace and Libba miles later than where they would have gone in an open draft. That was a massive win on the day thanks to the old FS rules. Push the order back 2 picks for each player and you end up with Jayden Pitt and Jeremy Taylor
The other years are nailing the draft which set up a premiership, but weren't wins on the day because no one knew what what happen down the track.

Don't really follow the psychological analyses of these kids claiming that they're suicidal because they had a serious expression when they took the stage.

Haven't learned anything from the last few years i see

Our retention has been pretty good since the Go Home 5. Not sure what evidence you have behind your certainty that McCluggage and Berry are flight risks. Seems more like wishful thinking.

Berry and McCluggage to request a trade after two years both looked very unimpressed with the Lions picking them up

76da69bc46763188726a05a2c3e68f92.jpg

Don't really follow the psychological analyses of these kids claiming that they're suicidal because they had a serious expression when they took the stage.

480033_nl.jpg

But look at them! Clearly crying out for help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back