Pakistan series Test Squad discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

hows the general feeling if sayers took birds place

Sayers had a hot start to the season, but has dropped of since - 4 wickets in his last 87 overs bowled across the past two Shield matches.

Chris Tremain is the one to look at this season. Co-leading wicket-taker in the Shield with Sayers, but has a better strike rate and economy rate.

Because he's never going to be good enough to be in the frontline attack. Allrounder is his go. For that he needs runs.
Because clearly he wasn't dropped because of his bowling
Well no s**t, I just find it amusing that Chris can't wait to post that he had a bad game with the bat yet neglects to mention that with his other discipline he took a bag of wickets.

Handy, match saving 100 from Faulkner today. If the selectors do want a proven international cricketer to fill an all-rounder slot, this guy is still quality.

Also think that S Marsh should get his spot back when fit, although it sounds like that's more likely the second Test than the first.

Handy, match saving 100 from Faulkner today. If the selectors do want a proven international cricketer to fill an all-rounder slot, this guy is still quality.

Also think that S Marsh should get his spot back when fit, although it sounds like that's more likely the second Test than the first.

It's kind of a shame this ODI series keeps him out of the next round of Shield

The argument can be made that Faulkner is in the three best bowlers in the country, his average, strike rate, and economy rate in first class cricket are all excellent. This was his debut hundred, and it showed a lot of fight. A lot of his best scores have been in similar contexts, but I'd like to see him become a more regular contributor in the top 6 before he gets selected for the test side. This is his first season batting above 7 so I'd want to see how both his batting and bowling go for the whole season probably even two, for him to earn a selection. I really think he is one of the best cricketers in the country though.

On earning a selection, Shaun Marsh simply hasn't, and should be forced to at least once in order to come back into the team. Just one season averaging 55 or so and in he comes.

Interesting reading, given how differently Mitch Marsh is rated by CA compared to the other two:

Career Shield batting average
Mitch Marsh - 24.91 (1 century, 10 fifties)
James Faulkner - 31.49 (1 century, 12 fifties)
Moises Henriques - 34.06 (5 centuries, 8 fifties)

Career Shield bowling figures
Mitch Marsh - 27.01 average, 48.55 strike rate, 3.34 economy rate
James Faulkner - 24.40 average, 49.64 strike rate, 2.95 economy rate
Moises Henriques - 33.22 average, 62.89 strike rate, 3.17 economy rate

We don't select Faulkner for the Test team because he's apparently "not good enough to bat at #6", and "isn't among the top 3/4 pace bowlers we have" (despite having one of the best FC bowling records of anyone in the country), yet we select a guy with significantly worse Shield record in Mitch Marsh who is only a year younger based on "potential"? Ok.

Well no s**t, I just find it amusing that Chris can't wait to post that he had a bad game with the bat yet neglects to mention that with his other discipline he took a bag of wickets.
He's on the fringes of the team is he not? Relevant thread to discuss possible players, no?
Because it displeases you I'll also note that Ferguson failed this shield round as well. Happy now?
Interesting reading, given how differently Mitch Marsh is rated by CA compared to the other two:

Career Shield batting average
Mitch Marsh - 24.91 (1 century, 10 fifties)
James Faulkner - 31.49 (1 century, 12 fifties)
Moises Henriques - 34.06 (5 centuries, 8 fifties)

Career Shield bowling figures
Mitch Marsh - 27.01 average, 48.55 strike rate, 3.34 economy rate
James Faulkner - 24.40 average, 49.64 strike rate, 2.95 economy rate
Moises Henriques - 33.22 average, 62.89 strike rate, 3.17 economy rate

We don't select Faulkner for the Test team because he's apparently "not good enough to bat at #6", and "isn't among the top 3/4 pace bowlers we have" (despite having one of the best FC bowling records of anyone in the country), yet we select a guy with significantly worse Shield record in Mitch Marsh who is only a year younger based on "potential"? Ok.
Honestly, for the time being I think we can do without an allrounder. We don't imo have one that's presently test standard.
Trouble is though that with the volume of overs, oppressive conditions and the likelihood of two spinners we may need one in India.

What a quandary.

You could make an argument for Faulkner at #7/#8 and 3rd bowler behind Starc and Hazelwood, especially with Lyon hitting footmarks from both Lefties later in games.

Like Butterworth before him, the fact he can hold a bat seems to discount his bowling credentials. His first-class bowling is very different to the ODI dibbly-dobblers.

You could make an argument for Faulkner at #7/#8 and 3rd bowler behind Starc and Hazelwood, especially with Lyon hitting footmarks from both Lefties later in games.

Like Butterworth before him, the fact he can hold a bat seems to discount his bowling credentials. His first-class bowling is very different to the ODI dibbly-dobblers.

With one Shield hundred to his name, no you can't make any argument on Faulkner in the test side. Needs a lot more runs. Was his first decent innings all year basically. Lets see him do it again.

With one Shield hundred to his name, no you can't make any argument on Faulkner in the test side. Needs a lot more runs. Was his first decent innings all year basically. Lets see him do it again.
It was his second decent innings, made a big 50 too. the argument that he bats at 7 averages 30 odd with the bat and contributes as strongly with the ball as anyone else around the country could is decent. Weaken the batting a bit and strengthen the bowling a lot. Im not for it because our batting is shocking but there is merit to it.

On Galaxy Nexus using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we're gonna have Marsh, Ferguson & Maddinson all in, why not Faulkner? He'd be a better choice than those 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never really understood why Faulks has only had one test. But I've given up on him being selected. If they go after another all-rounder, I'd expect it to be Reeks.

He's on the fringes of the team is he not? Relevant thread to discuss possible players, no?
Because it displeases you I'll also note that Ferguson failed this shield round as well. Happy now?
Huh? Why not mention that Mitch also took 6 wickets, that's what I found funny.

For the record I don't think he is or should be anywhere near the team.

I'm guessing Faulkner must have hit a ton in County cricket because he actually has two FC hundreds.

Of all the all rounders in Australia, he has the strongest strong suit by virtue of his bowling.

Of all the others, none can say their batting or bowling is at the same standard of his seams.

Batting wise he is more destructive than the others, perhaps less reliable but no less effective

Huh? Why not mention that Mitch also took 6 wickets, that's what I found funny.

For the record I don't think he is or should be anywhere near the team.
Because wickets weren't the problem. Runs were.
So his failing with the bat is the only relevant part.

Its also a kinda shame we are having this meaningless ODI series vs NZ at all. Why??

We? I'm not happy with having to disrupt our summer for a meaningless ODI series in Australia either...

Actually, I think it's excellent to keep the Trans Tasman rivalry alive

Remove this Banner Ad

Back