If you could change an AFL team's nickname

Remove this Banner Ad

:cool: I like the odea of of Westen Sydney Koala's for us.Suggest visually by Lasta062 in another thread, I think we could take it onboard.

Change ours to Privateers, Bucaneers, Frigates or Pirates - something other than Dockers but still a strong nautical name

There's loads more that could have been used but they decided to vote in a name that copped a copyright infringment lol

Also Tigers, Giants and Lions (Cats and Dogs I don't mind as they are at least domesticated and generic to all countries of the world). I like the native/Australian theme for the comp and neither sit right with that theme, given the rest of the comp has nicknames related to native/australian wildlife or region specific names i.e. bombers or just general names that are still relate able to the team i.e. Suns - Power is different as they couldn't use their actual name

Saints, Demons and Blues are again pretty generic

I think all the other teams are fine

The Injectors ,like it
West Coast - The triple heads
Adelaide -The Reverends
Collingwood-The Criminals
Richmond -The Losers
Carlton-The Toffees

I'd change theses names to make them more straaalian

Brisbane Kola Bears
Gold Coast Great Whites
Western Sydney Rams
Carlton Kookaburras
St Kilda Seagulls
Geelong Feral Cats
West Coast Druggos

Last edited:
I'd change theses names to make them more straaalian

Brisbane Kola Bears
Gold Coast Great Whites
Western Sydney Rams
Carlton Kookaburras
St Kilda Seagulls
Geelong Feral Cats
West Coast Druggos

Hawthorn Bandwaggoners
Essendon Koolaiders
Port Adelaide Pirates
Gold Coast Sharks
Richmond Sufferers
Sydney Lakesiders
Fremantle Quokkas
Surf Coast Pussycats
Carlton Baggers

The rest are ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dockers.

For one, they are called wharfies.
Two, its an occupation, and they are footballers, not wharfies.

Its the equivalent of starting a local accounting firm and calling yourself the Fremantle Event Cleaning Club.
I actually think the dockers is the best one lol, very unique and yes, technically it is wrong but is very fitting to the city of Freo. Always reminds me of the Green Bay Packers in that their mascot is an occupation. American sports seem to relate their sports to their respective towns ie, Detroit Pistons (General Motors, Ford etc.) or the Indiana Pacers (Indi 500). IMO would have been much better if the West Coast where named the Sandgropers or Black Swans instead.

Change ours to Privateers, Bucaneers, Frigates or Pirates - something other than Dockers but still a strong nautical name

There's loads more that could have been used but they decided to vote in a name that copped a copyright infringment lol

Also Tigers, Giants and Lions (Cats and Dogs I don't mind as they are at least domesticated and generic to all countries of the world). I like the native/Australian theme for the comp and neither sit right with that theme, given the rest of the comp has nicknames related to native/australian wildlife or region specific names i.e. bombers or just general names that are still relate able to the team i.e. Suns - Power is different as they couldn't use their actual name

Saints, Demons and Blues are again pretty generic

I think all the other teams are fine
Not knowing how the names were formed I'd say Tigers and Lions are generic team names.

Saints is great. They're called St Kilda, they used their name. Of all the Clubs they should probably be St. Kilda Football Club as opposed to St. Kilda Saints. The Saint part to me seems irrelevant but great name.

I actually think the dockers is the best one lol, very unique and yes, technically it is wrong but is very fitting to the city of Freo. Always reminds me of the Green Bay Packers in that their mascot is an occupation. American sports seem to relate their sports to their respective towns ie, Detroit Pistons (General Motors, Ford etc.) or the Indiana Pacers (Indi 500). IMO would have been much better if the West Coast where named the Sandgropers or Black Swans instead.
Couldn't have gone with black swans due to the same reason as being called Perth. Swan Districts are the black ducks. Also our state team is the black swans. Wedged-Tailed Eagles are ******* killer though. Also anyone suggesting we change our name to Perth can GTFO.

Nicknames should evolve rather than be made up. How many of the original clubs started with a nickname? I follow Fremantle but hate Dockers, hate the song and hate that they changed the colours. I went to school in Freo and spent a lot of nights stumbling out of their pubs and clubs and hardly any of their symbols say "Freo" to me. The red and green are clearly "Freo" colours with the cappucino strip. I'm not going to follow any other team because I'm a born and bred "Freo" person but I keep my fingers crossed that they get rid of their marketing team.

I never thought of the red white and green connection with the Italians and Freo. It makes perfect sense, more so than just port and starboard

Also anyone suggesting we change our name to Perth can GTFO.

Too late for that, the next WA side in will be Perth. Your lot can stay the bland, generic, inoffensive, one size fits all corporation with the crapolla American monicker and we will be playing real derbies with our new crosstown territorial neighbours.

Too late for that, the next WA side in will be Perth. Your lot can stay the bland, generic, inoffensive, one size fits all corporation with the crapolla American monicker and we will be playing real derbies with our new crosstown territorial neighbours.
A team called Perth would really give you that spice you need in that derby, now you can have both teams treating it as a Grand Final. Meanwhile we'll win some more Grand Finals.

Cheers in advance new Perth team.

Yours Truly,

flamingEMBERS and the West Coast Eagles :trophy::trophy::trophy:

Gold Coast Reefers
Gold Coast Diggers
Greater Western Sydney Fliers
West Sydney Warriors (look I just want to post the "warriors, come out to playayaya!" Clip whenever we play them)
Fremantle Anti-Vaxxers
Port Adelaide Trawlers
Adelaide Heatwave
Perth FIFO's
Darwin Marines
Bendigo Goldiggers
Rottnest Quokkas
Canberra Bureaucrats
Goulburn SuperMax
Melbourne Hipsters
Geelong Surfers
Carlton Baristas