3rd Man Up Banned

3rd man up banned good or bad?

• Good

• Bad

• Jack Watts

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind the idea of little guys leaping over the top and dominating the big guys

Agreed, love watching smaller springier players like Rioli, Betts and Walters sail over bigger opponents and take the mark - but in this case can you really call it dominating when the ruck is not allowed to contest the 3rd man?

If you've gone with a strategy of recruiting more mobile rucks that can go forward and kick a goal that aren't great tap ruckmen and planned to overcome that by going 3rd man up you are disadvantaged by this rule change.

It will take at least 2 years if not more to effectively change your personnel in order to adjust to this rule change. Should really be 4-5 years since thats how long it takes to develop a ruckman.
No list manager is that incompetent or coach that inflexible. Even Richmond will be able to adjust to this one.

No list manager is that incompetent or coach that inflexible. Even Richmond will be able to adjust to this one.

It's not a matter of adjusting, finals can be won or lost by a kick this changes the value of certain types of players.

Either it's only a minor change which can wait a year to come in or it's a big change and teams need to able to select their list knowing what the rules are.

The restrictions on ruckmen in such contests is to reduce injuries.

3rd man up allows other players to jump in, unpredictably, and without such restrictions.

Do you really think that doesn't increase the chance of injury?

Something had to change, and at the very least if you were going to have unrestricted 3rd men up, you needed to take the restrictions off the ruckmen themselves. What do you think the result of that would be?

Or worse....Declare a regular mid as your 'ruckman' at the contest, and have Sandi jumping over the top of everyone as '3rd man up'...Yeah, no possible problems there. :eek:
By that logic we'll have players wearing bibs to stay in their zones like netball so no marking packs form and not allowing "other players to jump in, unpredictably,".

Why ban it? I don't get the point to be honest. I liked the center bounce restricted to ruckman, but after that open play.

Personally, I think it hurts in team dynamics and a viewer spectacle as it is interesting to see teams go in with different ruck choices. I know my team, the Swans, were way better with a Ruckman like Naismith with our midfield as he is a pure ruckman and got us more first use ball in the middle compared to sinclair/tippett....... In the grand final I loved the completely different dynamic the dogs had with their rucks and adds to the game.

Also mids that see something, or a tactic of a third man up to help stop a dominant ruckman is interesting in footy.

s**t rule change in my opinion.

By that logic we'll have players wearing bibs to stay in their zones like netball so no marking packs form and not allowing "other players to jump in, unpredictably,".

No more than how the restrict the 20+ players at the center bounce...oh, wait...

No more than how the restrict the 20+ players at the center bounce...oh, wait...
The centre square was introduced to stop congestion, you're saying the 3rd man up rule is to stop injuries, again by that logic we would stop all pack marking situations.

Why ban it? I don't get the point to be honest. I liked the center bounce restricted to ruckman, but after that open play.

Personally, I think it hurts in team dynamics and a viewer spectacle as it is interesting to see teams go in with different ruck choices. I know my team, the Swans, were way better with a Ruckman like Naismith with our midfield as he is a pure ruckman and got us more first use ball in the middle compared to sinclair/tippett....... In the grand final I loved the completely different dynamic the dogs had with their rucks and adds to the game.

Also mids that see something, or a tactic of a third man up to help stop a dominant ruckman is interesting in footy.

s**t rule change in my opinion.

Be happy if I were you, suits Naismith down to a tee, and Tippett will like the rule too.

Wish it happened last year!

You're just happy that Freo might win something next year, even if it's just hitouts. #starvin
Wow. It doesn't take long, does it.

How many years have you been waiting to try on that dress?
You know, most of us have been sort of being polite, but it's kind of getting to the point where you're parading around thinking you look fantastic where most of us are really trying hard not to tell you it just makes your arse look fat.

I can see how painful this is going to be to officiate.
They cant figure out ruck infringements as it stands before this came in, this will make it so much more aggravating as a fan.

I can see how painful this is going to be to officiate.
They cant figure out ruck infringements as it stands before this came in, this will make it so much more aggravating as a fan.

It will just be the obvious ones- i.e. Jordan Lewis type or Bontempelli type ones, or Bilclavs. If they eliminate those ones, it is a good change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The centre square was introduced to stop congestion, you're saying the 3rd man up rule is to stop injuries, again by that logic we would stop all pack marking situations.

You need to draw the line somewhere.

Wow. It doesn't take long, does it.

How many years have you been waiting to try on that dress?
You know, most of us have been sort of being polite, but it's kind of getting to the point where you're parading around thinking you look fantastic where most of us are really trying hard not to tell you it just makes your arse look fat.

It was a joke, Denice, don't twist your knickers.

No one was more #starvin than Dogs supporters.

About 30 years, to answer your question.

Meantime, the biggest flawed rule, the deliberate out of bounds, has no mention of improvement. About 8/10 decisions are based on pure guesswork and subjectivity. Says it all AfL, you goons.

Looking at it simply, it makes sense.
At a stoppage, restart play by throwing the ball up for the two ruckmen to compete for. Just like the centre bounce and tip off or jump ball in basketball. So the rule is good?

As a player, I'm sure others who have or still play will agree, sometimes the 3rd up is too good to refuse. Shouldn't be banned.
If some teams are able to use it to their advantage they shouldn't really be punished. Other teams can surely prepare for these tactics. So the rule is bad?

I don't give a hoot either way.
If anyone read this I hope you enjoyed me adding pretty much nothing to this topic.

The other reason i dont like it is not because of what happens when everyone has their best team out there, but what happens when the inevitable injuries happen.

Lose a key forward, change the way you attack.
Lose a key back, drop a loose player in defence.
Lose a key mid, well every decent team has at least 10 players that rotate through the midfield.
Lose a ruckman, well there is no plan B.

Lose one or two for a season ala Port Adelaide 2016, and you pretty much are stuffed.

Do teams now have to carry two genuine ruckmen in every 22, and 4 in your squad?

Cripps being 11th and Gibbs 6th probably comes about due to a huge game v Melbourne late in the year when they absolutely smashed Gawn around the ground at third man up. I particularly liked Cripps attempt to grab the ball out of the ruck, keep his arms free and them get the clearance. He probably did this 2-3 times a game with varied results. 1-2 of which was given as holding the ball. I for one will be glad that he evolves his game away from this and gets back to handball clearances off either kruezer/Phillips tap work or roving the oppositions rucks.

6de44e36b5840598ecd3765cfe27095c
The only bloke really happy about this absurdity is this turkey!...

Last edited:
IMHO the third man up is often employed when neither ruck can get the ball moving and one team rolls the dice by taking a player out of the pack to get the ball moving. It's a risk vs reward situation which I actually like. My tip is we'll see more stoppages as there will be more players around the ball.

The new rule will pretty much end Blicavs career

If you can't compete one-on-one then you are a very limited footballer to begin with.

I think the rule change was inevitable because some clubs have used the 3rd man up to target an opposition ruckman and have guys crash into them from a long runup while they are relatively unprotected. While this isn't intended to hurt the ruckman, it is ultimately what happens when you are forced to be relatively stationary at a stoppage and have guys crash into you 30, 40 or 50 times a game.

Clubs need to take greater responsibility for how they abuse the rules, ultimately, they are the ones that get rules like this introduced.

I think the AFL/umpires could have prevented this rule from existing by just outlawing prohibitive contact to a ruckman, this would still allow a third up at a ruck contest as long as he wasn't smashing into the opposition ruckman.

So how will they umpire this, every single throw up or throw in they will ask who is going for the ruck knock??
Your ruckman could be standing there and at the last second another player calls out its me and goes for it?

Another stupid rule change, made by a very stupid organisation. They have changed so many rules they are now stuck for ideas, let's start putting rules in place to stop people how they actually play now.
How on earth have the 18 clubs allowed these clowns to keep stuffing up the game.

Back