For all those these jibes about teams not having "recognised ruckmen":

Aaron Sandilands - no flags
Todd Goldstein- no flags
Max Gawn - hasn't even played a final

Meanwhile:

Jordan Roughead - premiership ruckman
Ben McEvoy - premiership ruckman

Recognise that!

Do you think 1 or 2 less hitout a game via third man is going to hurt the teams already proven to be the best? You've got rocks in your head.
You just don't try anymore do you?

Lol AFL can't help themselves.

Game evolves, they move the goalposts. Though if they have a mantra of clearing congestion, doesn't the 3rd man up who swats it out of the pack .... just do that
That's what I thought, in the saints games I watched after a few consecutive ball ups it usually meant a third man came in with momentum and cleared it over the top of the congestion. The rucks just didn't get the power needed to clear it as they wrestle with each other for position.

Bigfooty - where the success of a team automatically validates the opinion of the poster

Look at the premiership ruckmen in the league vs the supposed two or three guns.

Is one or two 3rd man ups a game the difference?

Will this new rule suddenly make these top rucks relevant?

This is a logical change, it gives the ruckmen respect and elevates importance. Rucks going toe to toe is one of the only one on one dual matchups remaining in the game, and its good to see that will be protected and purified.
c

With that said I wonder if the idea of capping 3rd man up contests was ever under consideration. I guess it'd be hard to keep track of the number of 3rd man ups happened in the duration of a match, but they could have been used as set plays by the coaches.

For all those these jibes about teams not having "recognised ruckmen":

Aaron Sandilands - no flags
Todd Goldstein- no flags
Max Gawn - hasn't even played a final

Meanwhile:

Jordan Roughead - premiership ruckman
Ben McEvoy - premiership ruckman

Recognise that!

Do you think 1 or 2 less hitout a game via third man is going to hurt the teams already proven to be the best? You've got rocks in your head.
Since when is Ben McEvoy not a recognised ruckman ??

Your "recognised ruckmen" seem to align more with recognised Dream Team ruckmen !!

Since when is Ben McEvoy not a recognised ruckman ??

Your "recognised ruckmen" seem to align more with recognised Dream Team ruckmen !!

My point was they are all "recognised ruckman".

The initial payout was against geelong not having a "recognised ruckman". What is Zac smith?

My point was they are all "recognised ruckman".

The initial payout was against geelong not having a "recognised ruckman". What is Zac smith?
Exactly! Every team has a recognised ruckman its just that some can actually play other positions.

This rule is stupid and all it does is reduce the amount of tactical decisions that coaches can make like most rules changes have been. Soon enough all the teams are going to have the same tactics because that's all they can do.

Pointless and unnecessary...can we go one year without that imbecile Evans screwing around with the rules? Lyon will be ecstatic. More packs, more negativity...perfect for his style of coaching. Players will adapt, but FFS the game is confusing enough already...I can't stand sycophantic hacks who compensate for their mediocrity with kiss-up BS and Evans is a master at submission to the will of coaches who he should ignore at every turn.

It's not pointless or unnecessary, the ruck should be contested by the ruckmen.

I highly doubt that removing the third man up will create a dramatic increase in stoppages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look at the premiership ruckmen in the league vs the supposed two or three guns.

Is one or two 3rd man ups a game the difference?

Will this new rule suddenly make these top rucks relevant?
It definitely helps. You can see the difference Sandilands makes to the Dockers. You can see the difference Mumford makes to GWS. Don't get me started on what Dean Cox did for West Coast...

Having a great ruckman isn't the be-all-and-end-all, though; totally agree there.

Pointless and unnecessary...can we go one year without that imbecile Evans screwing around with the rules? Lyon will be ecstatic. More packs, more negativity...perfect for his style of coaching. Players will adapt, but FFS the game is confusing enough already...I can't stand sycophantic hacks who compensate for their mediocrity with kiss-up BS and Evans is a master at submission to the will of coaches who he should ignore at every turn.
samyouidiotjbzcc.jpg

Do you want people to go back and replace the word "recognised" with "crap"? Would that make you feel better?

Well depends if you'd call most of the premiership ruckman of late crap.

In my opinion this isn't the saviour of rucks people are hoping for. Max Gawn will still be recognised as a great ruck, but teams with only average rucks are still going to be successful.

Perhaps Gawn is a bad example as he's also an all rounder but the Sandilands/Jacobs/Minson types are still going to be superfluous to success

Well depends if you'd call most of the premiership ruckman of late crap.

In my opinion this isn't the saviour of rucks people are hoping for. Max Gawn will still be recognised as a great ruck, but teams with only average rucks are still going to be successful.

Perhaps Gawn is a bad example as he's also an all rounder but the Sandilands/Jacobs/Minson types are still going to be superfluous to success

As ruckman? Yes I would.

Makes the ruck contest so much easier to umpire, which can be only a good thing, less grey area. No more need to block the 3rd man up and getting pinged for it. 2 people contest the ball and once it comes off their hands it is play on.

On the topic of whether or not having a good ruck is important:

Look at peak Freo when Sandilands was playing well vs when he was injured/off - was a huge difference.

Look at Pies 07-09 compared to 10-11.
No coincidence that the year we get a legitimate 1st ruck (unfortunately Fraser was always one of those guys in no-mans land body-wise) is the year we win a flag and then follow up with an almost-dominant season where we only lose to one team (unfortunately also in the granny).
You can't tell any Pies fan that lived through the Monky-to-Jolly period that having a good ruck isnt important.
We had one guy who was very good but put into the ruck too early and too often (when in reality shouldve been a combo-fwd/ruck backing up a true first ruck) and a bunch of guys who were at best, servicable, or at worst, complete scrubs. All the while we had pretty good coverage at pretty much every other position on the park- but were never good enough to get quite over the line at the business end of the season.

Clearly a ruck is not the be all and end all of a good team, nor is it a necessity to have a good ruck if the rest of your team is great - but its pretty helpful, and you could argue that is just as important as any other individual position in the 18.

Ok ignore the rest of my post then... looks like analysis is beyond you.

Those couple less third men up will surely make the difference
Oh please.

You don't want to analyse anything, this is just an excuse for you to fap about the Bulldogs.

I agree it won't change a lot but it will stop the ruckman that are actually good at their job getting molested by two people at a time and take away the stupid free kick that the third man up was getting for being blocked.

Back