Training Training Reports - Current report, Monday 13th February, Post #1427

Remove this Banner Ad

How far off is conor Nash? Is he actually a chance for seniors this year or is that a bit ambitious?
He had a what you would call a bad hair day with the ball on Wednesday. He missed a lot of his kicks. He is physically ready I reckon but football wise it will take time

Hartung has a back issue, not major but needs time. Langers did come off holding his wrist just before the main group but again nothing major.

Roughy is doing all drills. They are fairly punishing and he was slowing down towards the end of the session. To be fair to the guy, with all he's been through the past 12 months, regaining a bit of fitness and confidence is nothing. I'm sure he'll be back to his best shortly.

Whitecross was a guy I failed to mention as a standout from Wed morning. He looks like he's on a mission.

I highlighted him in last Friday's report. He stood out right from the start. While many of the guys looked a little rusty, he was sharp and fired up, he was tackling with intent to kill.

If Hartung's not fit for the season starting - has anyone seen other players training for the wing spot? Still hoping it is Lovell that gets first crack should Billy not be fit - if he is playing well enough.
Could Grant Birchall play on the wing? He wasn't at his best last year and perhaps the wing might re invigorate him. His long raking kicks in to Roughy ,Sicily and Vickery/McEvoy could be a weapon, not to mention a few more goals from Birchall himself. Hill kicked a few so we need a winger who is capable of hitting the scoreboard. Burton can hold down a half-back position.

I highlighted him in last Friday's report. He stood out right from the start. While many of the guys looked a little rusty, he was sharp and fired up, he was tackling with intent to kill.

Well Whitecross has taken on hijackers carrying iron bars, so a game of footy is nothing!

Could Grant Birchall play on the wing? He wasn't at his best last year and perhaps the wing might re invigorate him. His long raking kicks in to Roughy ,Sicily and Vickery/McEvoy could be a weapon, not to mention a few more goals from Birchall himself. Hill kicked a few so we need a winger who is capable of hitting the scoreboard. Burton can hold down a half-back position.

I've thought about this in the past as well. I reckon he would go well there, pin point passes into the F50 instead of bombs a la 2016. Frees up a half back flank for Burton to make his own too!

I think that one of the criticisms of Birchall towards the end of 2016 was that he had lost a yard or two of pace. Not sure that would be what is needed for a re-invented wing player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've thought about this in the past as well. I reckon he would go well there, pin point passes into the F50 instead of bombs a la 2016. Frees up a half back flank for Burton to make his own too!

So a guy who gave us very little run off the half back line last year is going to run all day, shark balls squirting out of the center bounce contest, shimmy this way and that and create the play?
About 4 years too late to make the conversion.

So a guy who gave us very little run off the half back line last year is going to run all day, shark balls squirting out of the center bounce contest, shimmy this way and that and create the play?

Agree with your points! I actually raised this point back in about 2009 when I thought he was suspect one on one defensively. He went on to improve out of sight which was great so I have wondered about it for a while. I guess to me it boils down to why he slowed up last season. Was he carrying a niggle? Did the oppo put more time into him? Or has he just slowed up a bit. If it is just age then it would be a waste of time but if not it would be interesting to see how he went. I think he is creative enough with the footy to cause headaches and I think he is smart enough to get enough of the pill.

I think that one of the criticisms of Birchall towards the end of 2016 was that he had lost a yard or two of pace. Not sure that would be what is needed for a re-invented wing player.
You both make very good points. If Birchall doesn't re invent himself in some capacity I think he will have trouble fitting into the side.This is a worry considering he has re-signed for the next couple of years. If his pace is gone then so is he ,sadly.

Surely a start in the Dev Squad beckons at FB/CHB before progression to the BHH seniors?
I'd think that would be Nash this year.

Glass would have to be pushing for HBF in BH seniors from the start you'd think

Going on the captaincy discussion for a minute, is Whitecross by any chance a breakout season away from the job? At times in the past he was a part of the discussions. He certainly seems to have the mental determination part down.
Big WX fan here but don't think he will get the captaincy. Certaibly leadership group material though, no doubt. Would personally like Hodge to hold on to it for this year and hand it over to either Shiels, Gunston or even-maybe-possibly O'Meara for the '18 season.

I'm loving the updates. After so many 'comfortable' years with a strong core group, it's exciting to see what the new guys are bringing.

16 players ran PBs in the time trial. I wonder if it's all the younger guys reaching or approaching their AFL peak fitness levels, or just a random spread based on a certain direction the fitness staff are steering the squad in.

Stratton coming second in the time trial was interesting. I knew he was fit and wasn't slow but to come second when we have quite a few very impressive athletes on the list... hopefully he just smashed his PB. Eddie Betts won't be sleeping soundly any more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back