Training 2017 - Preseason Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Sandi back for Thursday session. From freo twitter

View attachment 326729

Good morning guys, thanks for the training updates. The ruck situation is looking a little on the precarious side. Great to see Sandi doing well but who is going to be his support?
Pre season games are we going to give the youngsters a go or are we going to try and lock down our best set up without Clarke and Griffin?
MJ going well may be an option for us as he did well years ago to allow us an extra running player. Dawson competed well but is not an ideal option.
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good morning guys, thanks for the training updates. The ruck situation is looking a little on the precarious side. Great to see Sandi doing well but who is going to be his support?
Pre season games are we going to give the youngsters a go or are we going to try and lock down our best set up without Clarke and Griffin?
MJ going well may be an option for us as he did well years ago to allow us an extra running player. Dawson competed well but is not an ideal option.
Thoughts?

I agree. The ruck is the most precarious short term issue. If Sandilands remains fit, it's not a huge problem as he can do the majority of the ruck. This year he won't have the third man up aiming their knees at his body.

I can't see Clarke being ready for the beginning of the season, and Griffin is only back up in my opinion.
I think we will be relying on one of Apeness or Taberner in the forward line contests. Both are very inexperienced at rucking in the AFL. Perhaps Dawson or Johnson could take the back line hitouts. Not ideal, but it means we have another small player in the 22.

If Sandilands is injured, Griffin takes his place. He seems almost ready to join the main group.

Thoughts?

The health of the rucks does seem perilous, but I suspect that it is actually better than what it appears. I really don't like Sandilands and Griffin in the same side as they don't offer much as forwards. Clarke I am just assuming isn't available because he is now "the guy with the fitness issues and rarely available". But Apeness and Taberner, and even guys like Collins (and I guess MJ) can offer enough support ruck work if Sandilands is out there.

I am in the camp that hopes Darcy jags a development game or three, especially if the season progresses to a situation that allows it, either because we are brilliant and want to rest someone, or rubbish and are looking to the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm more concerned about our inside mid stocks TBH. Question for our Training Watchers today, besides Neale, Fyfe and Blakely, who have we got working in that space today?

The health of the rucks does seem perilous, but I suspect that it is actually better than what it appears. I really don't like Sandilands and Griffin in the same side as they don't offer much as forwards. Clarke I am just assuming isn't available because he is now "the guy with the fitness issues and rarely available". But Apeness and Taberner, and even guys like Collins (and I guess MJ) can offer enough support ruck work if Sandilands is out there.

I am in the camp that hopes Darcy jags a development game or three, especially if the season progresses to a situation that allows it, either because we are brilliant and want to rest someone, or rubbish and are looking to the future.
I think Griff goes alright as a forward. Has a decent set of hands and usually kicks straight. I think his footy smarts and knowing where to position himself in the forward line is where he goes well. Just a shame he's not mobile enough to cover enough ground to be a proper back up.

MJ going well may be an option for us as he did well years ago to allow us an extra running player. Dawson competed well but is not an ideal option. Thoughts?

MJ is a gun, but looked even better when he had the freedom and the space to go uncontested repeatedly. Dawsons efforts enabled us to have a loose man, whereas if we had a more traditional fullback, MJ wouldn't have had so much freedom. I digress from a training thread - so back to regular transmission.

re: Rucks. We have 3 main ruckmen on the list who "should" be okay - to various extents. For as long as Sandi is good we have silver service for our mids and if he does go down, the other 2 should at least have some preseason training and conditioning in them. No one is suggesting yet that Griff or Clarke won't get out of rehab until the preseason is over are they?

I'm more concerned about our inside mid stocks TBH. Question for our Training Watchers today, besides Neale, Fyfe and Blakely, who have we got working in that space today?
Looks to me like first rotation Fyfe, Mundy, Blakely and Tucker. Second Suban, Hill, Hill and Pearce.

Then we have Neale to come back, Balic running laps, BallaS and Son Son who can rotate through.

Possible depth guys like Deluca, Grey, Sheridan, Sutty.

Not sure about the new recruits.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back