Autopsy AFLW 2017 R2 - pies go down to Melbourne in game of 2 halves

Remove this Banner Ad

What kind of crowds do you think they will get in 3 weeks when we start playing? Novelty over.

We start playing pre-season games this week. And the AFLW season will be over before the AFL season starts. Guess the AFL timed it to be that way, so that those who want to watch women's footy can, without impacting on their ability to watch the senior men's footy. The AFL are pretty good at that sort of thing...

We start playing pre-season games this week. And the AFLW season will be over before the AFL season starts. Guess the AFL timed it to be that way, so that those who want to watch women's footy can, without impacting on their ability to watch the senior men's footy. The AFL are pretty good at that sort of thing...
Can't really call that a season for the women then.

Can't really call that a season for the women then.

Oh FFS TG ...

... The women's comp has exceeded every expectation to date. Its popularity continues to cause no end of headaches for the organisers. Clubs are reporting that they're getting hammered by prospective sponsors wanting to get involved.

Sure, a lot more needs to happen before AFLW can be deemed a success.

Sure, AFLW ain't everybody's cup of tea.

But c'mon, enough of the raining on the AFLW's parade. Not cool.

I've been really impressed with what I've seen of the women's competition so far. The standard has been much higher than I was expecting, and they certainly don't hold back out there. The crowds have been excellent and obviously the tv ratings have as well.

I'd say other women's sports will be getting very nervous, as I'm sure there will be thousands of girls and young women taking up, or returning to, the Australian game. This competition should really grow over the next few years, with no doubt more teams coming in and a longer season, and with an ever improving standard as more and more take up the game. It should be fun to watch how it develops.

Overall, I'm happy to be watching football again. I'll be focusing much more on the men's game when it starts again shortly, but still keeping a close eye on this football, hoping Collingwood can improve enough to at least win the odd game. I think having an AFL Women's competition is a great step forward, for mine there's only positives to come out of it for the AFL and the sport in general.

Hope needs to lose some weight and get fit otherwise she won't survive the future of AFLW filled with great female athletes.

It's all well and good to beat up amateur girls in the country but a national high speed comp is something a little different. She has a lot of talent but I'd love to see her beep test result.

Looks almost like the cloke effect from a couple of years ago. Without space and good delivery completely useless.

Our handballs on the night were terrible, wayward and without real use

Well just got home, first football unrelated comment.
Ikon Park is a safety hazard, back of seats rotten and boards loose on seats.

I also make some allowance for them being part-time and some being new to the game but at the same so were the opposition. The gap for me seems to be in coaching and fitness. I wonder how we measured up height wise, they looked taller.

Oh and I hate the grey training tops, why grey?

Seems like the same story of the last few years. Some quality players, but poor coaching.

I've been really impressed with what I've seen of the women's competition so far. The standard has been much higher than I was expecting, and they certainly don't hold back out there. The crowds have been excellent and obviously the tv ratings have as well.

Your expectations must have been extraordinarily low.

Really 76er? It's about the worst standard of footy one could hope to witness but someone isn't allowed to say that just because it's women?
It's a great opportunity for all women/girls to play the game they love in a much more professional environment but let's not kid ourselves about the standard. To expect people not to factually say that the standard of footy is poor because it's 'not cool' is .......... not cool.

Oh FFS TG ...

... The women's comp has exceeded every expectation to date. Its popularity continues to cause no end of headaches for the organisers. Clubs are reporting that they're getting hammered by prospective sponsors wanting to get involved.

Sure, a lot more needs to happen before AFLW can be deemed a success.

Sure, AFLW ain't everybody's cup of tea.

Sorry I personally have no interested in it and don't see the ties to the Collingwood football club. Don't want to see Eddie Mcguires name being dragged through the mud because of this rubbish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's currently free to get into the games this season?
What? The only money to be made out of this is at the gate? The only value is monetary?

Is that how you define this comp?

Really 76er? It's about the worst standard of footy one could hope to witness but someone isn't allowed to say that just because it's women?
It's a great opportunity for all women/girls to play the game they love in a much more professional environment but let's not kid ourselves about the standard. To expect people not to factually say that the standard of footy is poor because it's 'not cool' is .......... not cool.
It depends on what standard you are comparing it to does it not?

The comments I was replying to weren't about the standard of football.

Look we should all hope for the league to be successful (even if you do nothing to support it) purely because it might give your daughter/niece/whatever the opportunity to play footy at a high level.

No one is forcing you to watch the women's footy matches, just like no one is forcing you to watch the men's basketball, soccer, cricket, whatever.

I personally enjoy watching AFLW (poor skills and all) because it's something different.

And hey it's nice when we are not the only team with shitty skills and no gameplan :p

If I genuinely thought the standard was that bad I'd be prepared to say so, but I've found it quite enjoyable to watch. My expectations certainly weren't extraordinarily low but I still wasn't expecting a lot (I hadn't seen any of the games from last year that were televised). The skills, speed and physicality on display have been a pleasant surprise to me.

If I genuinely thought the standard was that bad I'd be prepared to say so, but I've found it quite enjoyable to watch. My expectations certainly weren't extraordinarily low but I still wasn't expecting a lot (I hadn't seen any of the games from last year that were televised). The skills, speed and physicality on display have been a pleasant surprise to me.
I found the standard pretty good, the only glaring points are dropped marks and ground ball pick ups, the rest is up to stand of some VFL teams for mine.

Sorry I personally have no interested in it and don't see the ties to the Collingwood football club.

Nobody is asking or expecting you to be interested in it.

Why are you even in this thread?

Don't want to see Eddie Mcguires name being dragged through the mud because of this rubbish.

Ed and the board signed Collingwood up to AFLW??? :huh:

images

I found the standard pretty good, the only glaring points are dropped marks and ground ball pick ups, the rest is up to stand of some VFL teams for mine.
I think the handballing skills of quite a few of the players need a fair bit of work, that has probably stood out to me the most.

Sorry I personally have no interested in it and don't see the ties to the Collingwood football club. Don't want to see Eddie Mcguires name being dragged through the mud because of this rubbish.

TG, the AFLW is not for you. We get that. But it is for tens of thousands of girls and women, especially young women. It's for my daughters to enjoy. My grandaughters when they grow up. My friends, many of whom have been to their first footy match in years in the last two weeks. Its for my colleague at work who took her nieces, aged 5 and 3, to the first game. And the 5 year old who couldn't stop talking about it afterwards, she was so excited to see girls playing footy, at a big ground and with lots of people!

Let's look at it another way. Boys have been watching men play Aussie Rules for 160 years, dreaming about playing it themselves. I'd guess every player on our list went to the footy as a kid, and loved it.

Girls have not had that opportunity, and now they do, at the highest level.

The standard will improve. The crowd numbers will fluctuate and improve over time.

But I'm reading some mean-spirited posts here. Calling it 'rubbish' as you have, reflects more on you than it does on the AFLW.

For me, right now, its a significant advance. These first games are symbolic as much as anything. Why would you want to rain on the parade of 1000s of happy girls, to whom this means so much?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back