Toast AFLW Carlton V Collingwood, Thursday 25th August, 7.10pm Ikon Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Good win but I can see the same issues for us as previous years and that’s scoring. We get plenty of the ball but don’t put the score on the ball. We got Fredrick last season to solve it and I think she kicked 1 goal and didn’t look likely tonight. We really need to make the most of our chances as the top teams will kill us otherwise.

Put Davey, Bonnici, Brazill and Rowe into that team and wow that’s a premiership team. A little improvement this year and you never know.

Good win, did what we needed to. Would like to see better connection between the midfield and the forwards, I reckon Barber will help with that.

Loved James' game, was surprised how strong her tackling was. Can't wait till she finds herself in some open space in the coming weeks.

Good win but I can see the same issues for us as previous years and that’s scoring. We get plenty of the ball but don’t put the score on the ball. We got Fredrick last season to solve it and I think she kicked 1 goal and didn’t look likely tonight. We really need to make the most of our chances as the top teams will kill us otherwise.

Put Davey, Bonnici, Brazill and Rowe into that team and wow that’s a premiership team. A little improvement this year and you never know.

I think if Barber was fit to play, she could’ve had a good night up forward with the number of F50 entries we had....

Loved Imogen Evens game , she is going to be great
She was always going to suit the level, one of the more bizarre choices made by the Suns not to pick her. Just terrifically balanced between skill and hardness.

James could be one of the most exciting players in the AFLW this season. She looks dangerous up forward with a bit of x factor, and each time she has a one on one contest, she usually wins it....

And still 18 years old

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Allen’s kicking is elite off both sides. Her decision making was awesome tonight.
Butler was terrific.

Interesting that they ran with Evans, Brown, Sheridan in the middle. Thought they all looked very capable.
Was pleased to see Sheridan directing everyone at stoppages. Her kicking looks 10m more this year and flatter. Loved it when she put the blues player down to protect a teammate in the last. She looks ready this year to make a big step. Not an easy thing for the Irish girls to adjust to.

Ej - lol. Could be anything.

Good start. Thought we looked a little rusty and wasn’t as clean as we could be ( Evans was super clean I thought).
But system looked ok and our intent was good.

Keen to see what Barber adds to that fwd mix. Glad to hear she wasnt left out…thought The coaches had lost it when I saw she wasn’t in the team!!!

Also thought Frederick competed well after a slow start. Blues dropped one back all game and it was always 2v1. She didn’t get outmarked and at least made a contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get Frederick's game. If you get a chance to see some replays when the play is in dispute, she doesn't bend down to try and get the ball or at least shepherd, she focuses on the player/s and is totally ineffective.

Maybe just plonk her in the goal square and to ruck in the forward line and just get someone at the drop of the ball when she doesn't mark.

She is so frustrating to watch.

I don't get Frederick's game. If you get a chance to see some replays when the play is in dispute, she doesn't bend down to try and get the ball or at least shepherd, she focuses on the player/s and is totally ineffective.

Maybe just plonk her in the goal square and to ruck in the forward line and just get someone at the drop of the ball when she doesn't mark.

She is so frustrating to watch.

I think if Barber is fit for the Sydney game, Frederick doesn't play....

Only 4000 people there last night, and considering the weather and the ground going under redevelopment, no surprise.
Not sure why this game wasn't played at Marvel Stadium under the roof. I'm sure they could’ve got at least 12,000 to 15,000 if this was the case.
Considering that Ikon park has construction going on there, l would have even played this game on Saturday afternoon at Marvel Stadium, or Vic Park.

I hope we see Barber in our forward line soon. I think she can be a tall target. It's nice to know we will actually see Brazill and Rowe. Brit and Davey are tragedies.

We really were a lot better than Carlton last night. We had a much better spread of talent and experience, and also toughness, across the ground.

The scoreboard difference should have been much greater, and as others have noted, scoring has been a problem for us almost from the beginning.

I hope Lambert is ok. God help us if we lose her too.

Tarni played a better game than she did at any time in 2021. At times she looked dangerous, like Molloy always does.

Ruby - how good is she? One of the best in the AFLW.

I thought livinston got back to some good form. Just Solid, no frills footy.
Ruby was fantastic and tough, she nearly had two concussions in 2 games, and i think with her moving up the ground at times Butler and Allen will enjoy the extra workload.
Forward line is still a big issue obviously, mayby Ash Braz can help that department.
Chiocci loks to have got back some of her Zip too.
I would have had Casey in best players, shut down Vecchio nicely and layed a couple of big tackles.
Look forward to seeing us next week with the extra running power of Cann and Rowe, I think we will be a different proposition.

I sometimes think that the grounds are too big for AFLW. I reckon we would get a much better contest and more goals if the grounds were shortened. At least for the next 5 years until the new club's get settled and the natural fitness progression happens, then they could go back to traditional size grounds

I sometimes think that the grounds are too big for AFLW. I reckon we would get a much better contest and more goals if the grounds were shortened. At least for the next 5 years until the new club's get settled and the natural fitness progression happens, then they could go back to traditional size grounds
Not sure that is possible, unless border is painted and with our weather... .

I can't believe that they play with a smaller football, why? Only a fraction.

2022-08-27_134744.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 1492344

My understanding is the girls don’t like the smaller ball. Before the AFLW, those that played did so with the standard size ball. That’s what they’re used to. Why change it?

Last edited by a moderator:

View attachment 1492344
The only thing holding it back is that the girls just don't have the same athleticism as the blokes. I would love to see a game with the boundaries coming in a couple of meters, just to see if it makes a difference. Atm, the girls are playing a very intense and hard hitting style of game, it's actually quite tuff out there , very uncompromising football. Anyway, just an observation but I am enjoying it

The only thing holding it back is that the girls just don't have the same athleticism as the blokes. I would love to see a game with the boundaries coming in a couple of meters, just to see if it makes a difference. Atm, the girls are playing a very intense and hard hitting style of game, it's actually quite tuff out there , very uncompromising football. Anyway, just an observation but I am enjoying it

While the sport is not full time, there are limits on contact hours at the club, and limits on how long the girls can train, that will put a ceiling on the athleticism. As most of them work, that also restricts the opportunity to build athleticism. Heard one of our girls say last year that she was a paramedic, and often arrived at training in the evenings a mental and physical wreck. Not an optimum way to prepare for a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back