Review The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Round 11 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

The Good: Cocky when he decides to play, Zuthrie. Near the end of the Essendon game in the last qtr finally trying a small forward line with Hawkins outside the forward 50 and only Menzel, Linc, or Cocky deep (about f*ckin time!!!)
The Bad: The same old same old Scott game plan problems; immensely slow transition play, rewarding players who shouldn't be getting a game, playing players out of position, and putting teams on the field that a far too tall and slow.
The Ugly: Our continued inconsistency and seeming complete lack of interest at times, our hopeless inability to cope with high intensity opposition and opposition small forwards, our genuine struggle to score during large periods of games. Mark Blicavs and Zac Smith. Chris Scott's complete refusal to even acknowledge or condemn poor performances or take any responsibility at all for them.

The Good: Cocky when he decides to play, Zuthrie. Near the end of the Essendon game in the last qtr finally trying a small forward line with Hawkins outside the forward 50 and only Menzel, Linc, or Cocky deep (about f*ckin time!!!)
The Bad: The same old same old Scott game plan problems; immensely slow transition play, rewarding players who shouldn't be getting a game, playing players out of position, and putting teams on the field that a far too tall and slow.
The Ugly: Our continued inconsistency and seeming complete lack of interest at times, our hopeless inability to cope with high intensity opposition and opposition small forwards, our genuine struggle to score during large periods of games. Mark Blicavs and Zac Smith. Chris Scott's complete refusal to even acknowledge or condemn poor performances or take any responsibility at all for them.
I wonder what was going through Ross Lyons head on the flight back to Perth.

The answer is no one and Geelong would have lost by 100 points.
I don't really buy in to the media hype around Geelong's massive Dangerwood 'problem'. Having the best 1-2 in the comp isn't a problem, it's a blessing.

The problem, if there is one, is that it makes it harder for the second tier mids to get into the game. Duncan, Guthrie, Menagola, et al, simply aren't going to win the clearances with Dangerwood in there, and aren't going to get hit up with the same frequency by other players. Had Scott taken Selwood and Dangerfield off at half time, we would have seen the second tier get a great deal more football. We probably wouldn't have won, but this idea that we are a complete s**t sandwich without the pair is over-cooked.

EDIT: also, any AFL team minus its best two mids will struggle to win matches.

Last edited:
We're a massive show to knock Geelong off in round one, I imagine.
I agree. He should absolutely feel that way. I believe that it's an even money match. And I don't even think Freo has been all that good. I am not of the opinion that will lose, per se. I am, however, of the opinion that we will have to really grind it out if we're to be any hope of pulling off a win...

So, I will tip Geelong, just. Danger will have to play a blinder, as too will Selwood while someone else will need to stand up in the middle, also. Fyfe and Neale are clearance machines, and being fed by Sandilands will mean that for a lot of the time our on-ball brigade will have to rove his taps.

This game should give us a very good indicator for how our season will pan out. JLT suggests not a lot has changed from 2016 in terms of consistency. We have obvious deficiencies - just how much those deficiencies hurt us, and how adept we become in overcoming said deficiencies, only time will tell.

It's hard to say as a casual observer, as the coaches obviously want to look at certain things which we aren't privy to. But on the face of it:

Good: Dangerfield and Selwood. Some good signs from Z.Guthrie and Parfitt, though Z.Guthrie is obviously too slight for the AFL at this point. Tuohy looks great, and fills a big need running out of defence. I liked Blitz and Stanley as a ruck combo, and let's face it, Blitz has played all his good football in that position. Duncan looks more together than last year, hopefully he can carry form. Menzel still looks sharp despite injury niggles, and GHS is creating competition in that second tier of mids. I liked Hawkins in the second half of the ESS game. We put some nice passages together and looked a little faster (at least in sections of games). The smaller forward set up later in the ESS game worked well. We also put some big scoring quarters together. On the other hand...
Bad: We had passages where we conceded goals too easily. Menagola had an ordinary series. I had him down as Caddy's replacement, but it's hard to see him picking up 20 meaningful possessions and a couple of goals a game on that form. Hopefully he picks up. I want to believe in Cowan but still haven't seen enough evidence. Motlop seems fit but hasn't regained touch. Can't fault Ruggles endeavour, but decision making and execution are still iffy. Also thought we could have been more direct and 'longer' in clearing from defence at times, but I reckon the excessive hand balling in defence (esp. first half of the ESS game) may have been an experiment of some sort. Who knows.
Ugly: Harry Taylor as a forward. I see why the experiment is happening, I get it on paper. But the reality over these practice games didn't bear the idea out. He looks adrift, and we lose so much in not having him back. Stewart shows some promise, but he's not a multiple AA defender, where Taylor is. The t-shirt that replaced our jumper.

Last edited:
With the JLT series - i heard John Worsfold on the radio tonight - and they asked him about the series /format etc - and he said they had a 10 day break between games 1 and 2 and then a 14 day break between games 2 and 3 - and he said Zaraharkis ( who was rested for the middle game - so he had a 24 break ) told him - it was very hard yesterday because of the length of the break - said it felt like he was starting the season again

I was wondering why they were playing Dangerfield in all games ( i thought theyd rest him against Adelaide ) but now i can see why theve played him

Worsfold was very positive about the season - their aiming for the 8 - but said their coming off a very low base - said they need to pinch games early in the season - thought Heppel and Watson would be much better in the 2nd half of the season along with a few others who missed all of last year

It's hard to say as a casual observer, as the coaches obviously want to look at certain things which we aren't privy to. But on the face of it:

Good: Dangerfield and Selwood. Some good signs from Z.Guthrie and Parfitt, though Z.Guthrie is obviously too slight for the AFL at this point. Tuohy looks great, and fills a big need running out of defence. I liked Blitz and Stanley as a ruck combo, and let's face it, Blitz has played all his good football in that position. Duncan looks more together than last year, hopefully he can carry form. Menzel still looks sharp despite injury niggles, and GHS is creating competition in that second tier of mids. I liked Hawkins in the second half of the ESS game. We put some nice passages together and looked a little faster (at least in sections of games). The smaller forward set up later in the ESS game worked well. We also put some big scoring quarters together. On the other hand...
Bad: We had passages where we conceded goals too easily. Menagola had an ordinary series. I had him down as Caddy's replacement, but it's hard to see him picking up 20 meaningful possessions and a couple of goals a game on that form. Hopefully he picks up. I want to believe in Cowan but still haven't seen enough evidence. Motlop seems fit but hasn't regained touch. Can't fault Ruggles endeavour, but decision making and execution are still iffy. Also thought we could have been more direct and 'longer' in clearing from defence at times, but I reckon the excessive hand balling in defence (esp. first half of the ESS game) may have been an experiment of some sort. Who knows.
Ugly: Harry Taylor as a forward. I see why the experiment is happening, I get it on paper. But the reality over these practice games didn't bear the idea out. He looks adrift, and we lose so much in not having him back. Stewart shows some promise, but he's not a multiple AA defender, where Taylor is. The t-shirt that replaced our jumper.

Menegola looked the goods until he was chasing zac merretts tail for 100 mins, got towelled up

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think GHS is more a like for like for Caddy than Menegola, agree Menegola had a disappointing JLT series, he seemed a bit timid.

With the JLT series - i heard John Worsfold on the radio tonight - and they asked him about the series /format etc - and he said they had a 10 day break between games 1 and 2 and then a 14 day break between games 2 and 3 - and he said Zaraharkis ( who was rested for the middle game - so he had a 24 break ) told him - it was very hard yesterday because of the length of the break - said it felt like he was starting the season again

I was wondering why they were playing Dangerfield in all games ( i thought theyd rest him against Adelaide ) but now i can see why theve played him

Worsfold was very positive about the season - their aiming for the 8 - but said their coming off a very low base - said they need to pinch games early in the season - thought Heppel and Watson would be much better in the 2nd half of the season along with a few others who missed all of last year
Makes our first half amazingly seem worse somehow than it was.

I agree. He should absolutely feel that way. I believe that it's an even money match. And I don't even think Freo has been all that good. I am not of the opinion that will lose, per se. I am, however, of the opinion that we will have to really grind it out if we're to be any hope of pulling off a win...

So, I will tip Geelong, just. Danger will have to play a blinder, as too will Selwood while someone else will need to stand up in the middle, also. Fyfe and Neale are clearance machines, and being fed by Sandilands will mean that for a lot of the time our on-ball brigade will have to rove his taps.

This game should give us a very good indicator for how our season will pan out. JLT suggests not a lot has changed from 2016 in terms of consistency. We have obvious deficiencies - just how much those deficiencies hurt us, and how adept we become in overcoming said deficiencies, only time will tell.
I would imagine Lyon will put some significant time in to 2E to limit our ability to go through him from defence, and Danger won't be given much room on the outside as well I reckon. Also think Freo will bring real intensity as it's clear we really struggle and often simply collapse completely when we have to implement our skills and game plan with quick disposal under pressure.

I doubt many teams would have such a large % of clearances and contested possessions come from only 2 of it's midfielders compared with the rest though.

To throw in a Churchill reference again; never in the course of Geelong Football Club history have so many owed so much to so few.

Yep that's the big concern for me, it's all very well having Stanley and Blicavs ruck against McKernan, who was buggered trying to carry the majority of the ruck duties during the last 3 quarters of the game, but coming up against Sandilands is something different altogether, our mids certainly won't be getting anywhere near the service they were in the second half on Sunday.

I don't really buy in to the media hype around Geelong's massive Dangerwood 'problem'. Having the best 1-2 in the comp isn't a problem, it's a blessing.

The problem, if there is one, is that it makes it harder for the second tier mids to get into the game. Duncan, Guthrie, Menagola, et al, simply aren't going to win the clearances with Dangerwood in there, and aren't going to get hit up with the same frequency by other players. Had Scott taken Selwood and Dangerfield off at half time, we would have seen the second tier get a great deal more football. We probably wouldn't have won, but this idea that we are a complete s**t sandwich without the pair is over-cooked.

I think that is a poor argument. With danger and Selwood getting all the attention our other mids should actually find it much easier to get the ball. Particularly with danger and Selwood winning the ball so that it's in our possession to pass it around.

The Good - Zac Tuohey - what a pick-up! Andrew Mackie (particularly against Bombers) - don't write him off yet; Brandon Parfitt - the kid has poise
The Bad - Our inconsistency - we have played like Jekyll & Hyde; Motlop - I know he didn't play on Sunday, but in the first 2 games he was decidedly underwhelming;
The Ugly - The JLT Cats Guernsey

Contrary to what others have said, I don't rate the "over-reliance" on Dangerfield & Selwood as a bad. If you've got it, flaunt it. It's not like Duncan did not contribute.

Contrary to what others have said, I don't rate the "over-reliance" on Dangerfield & Selwood as a bad. If you've got it, flaunt it. It's not like Duncan did not contribute.

Duncan's performance put a smile on my face. Got a good bit of the pill and displayed his elite foot skills....might be set for that breakout year we've been waiting on.

I suspect its all between the ears for Mitch...he seems to have the physical skills to be an "A" grader.

Actually, it was NOT the same old Scott game plan. We had 155 more handballs than opposing teams in the 3 games. This is a new element to the 2017 game plan.

And what do you mean by your comment that Scott "rewarded players who shouldn't be getting a game"? Who are you referring to? When you could have up to 8 interchange players, and when the whole idea of the pre-season comp was to get real game time into players, I am not sure what are you on about

Good: No ACLs.

Bad: No cohesion in the forward half.

Ugly:Unless I'm missing something I believe we just wasted 3 practice matches with the same old same old.
I think you are definitely missing something. It looked fairly clear in the first half against the Dons that we were testing our ability to handball out of congestion, which to me makes sense, as that is where Sydney beat us last year. I can't imagine the coaches were happy with the result, but there is no doubt they took a lot away from it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back