Deadly serious David Warner out thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to win this match right? Warner's a liability in building a solid opening partnership. I don't expect it to all come together in the last test - I don't think anyone does.

Therefore; put him down the order to 4th or 5th. They won't drop him unfortunately, it just ain't gonna happen.

I'll help you out. He doesn't make runs.

On what basis do you say that Khawaja can't play spin? And if what you say is true about Khawaja then why did the selectors pick him for a tour of India when there was a good chance he would have to play against high quality spinners.

What do I say about Khawaja? Nothing. He made 5 50s and one 100 in his last 10 innings and was dropped, so the selectors said plenty. He is in the squad because there's not exactly a lot of depth of batsmen with test experience running around in the Shield. He was in my XI for the first test, but I'm not a selector. They also took an extended squad which gave the likes of Agar, Swepson, Maxwell, Bird and Khawaja exposure to Indian conditions.

Warner has had a poor series but is also (for the time being) the most accomplished test batsman in our side and has 5,000+ runs @ 48, plus is our vice captain. Until today he'd been just as average as Marsh and Handscomb FWIW. We're not going to drop our vice captain for the 4th test when the series is up for grabs when the only replacement we have is a guy we've relegated from 3rd drop to 13th man, and our next test is at home so he would be back in straight away anyway.

Warner has to stay in the side, who replaces him? He has down well in South Africa and average low 40s in the last Ashes series in England. He has struggled a bit in India but he has made 18 100s the bloke has the runs on the bord we have to stick with him

Khawaja, despite being in decent form, was dropped because of his weakness against spin. The selectors took a horses-for-courses approach to India and so far it's working pretty well... but arguably, it's also set a precedent. Warner has demonstrated pretty minimal aptitude in Indian conditions. Now... with a record that far exceeds Khawaja's, I fully expect him to be cut more slack. But not a lot more. There is no way he gets dropped for the final test... particularly with only Khawaja available to take his place (please don't mention Stoinis, I've just eaten lunch). But the next time we face sub-continent conditions there's got to be a very big ? next to his name.

Khawaja, despite being in decent form, was dropped because of his weakness against spin. The selectors took a horses-for-courses approach to India and so far it's working pretty well... but arguably, it's also set a precedent. Warner has demonstrated pretty minimal aptitude in Indian conditions. Now... with a record that far exceeds Khawaja's, I fully expect him to be cut more slack. But not a lot more. There is no way he gets dropped for the final test... particularly with only Khawaja available to take his place (please don't mention Stoinis, I've just eaten lunch). But the next time we face sub-continent conditions there's got to be a very big ? next to his name.

Agree with this, he's got some queries on.his selection in the subcontinent. And also in England.

I don't believe we really have a long term policy now the selectors rate warner very highly and actually believe this unproven garbage about him being this dynamic xfactor able to win games in a session everywhere he plays while no matter his great returns for the last 3 years they still don't think much of usman.

Only way warner is ever getting dumped is a very long run of bad form on our pitches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who was the last RH Test opener we had that was actually good?
Watson was for a period of time, as was Slater. Boony averaged 45.

Watson was for a period of time, as was Slater. Boony averaged 45.
Duh of course Slater. Booney played a lot at 3 but yeah still opened a fair bit.

Still we have had almost all LH bats at the top in recent years. Obviously you can't make it dictate selection but it would be nice to have a LH/RH combo.

Duh of course Slater. Booney played a lot at 3 but yeah still opened a fair bit.

Still we have had almost all LH bats at the top in recent years. Obviously you can't make it dictate selection but it would be nice to have a LH/RH combo.
The only RH batsman in the top 6 are Smith, Butters & Maxwell, and none of them should be opening. I don't mind Marsh opening instead of Warner and slide Smith to 4.

SMarsh goes ok when opening anyway, will probably perform better than Warner.

How about in sub continent countries and perhaps England (so pretty much everywhere away :rolleyes: ) he bats down the order a bit.

Obviously the newish ball spinning and getting more bounce he can't handle, and also the seam/swing movement in England he's not great. If he comes in later the bounce and sharp turn won't be as pronounced on the subcontinent and the new ball will have run its course in England. Maybe bring him in at 5. Khawaja/Marsh to open (not that I rate Marsh, but he will ALWAYS be given a go)

He's too talented to not have in the side and averages 48 even with his poor run of form. I think it should be about how to make him effective elsewhere rather than just bin him.
His problem is the lack of pace and bounce, much more than movement is an issue. He has to open, he has has to start when the ball is as hard as it is going to get, that's the least bad conditions will be for him.
Or, he has to learn that you can't just hit through everything and sometimes patience and soft hands are a virtue.

Goddamn it Warner, you had one job.

Failed again in his final innings of the Indian tour.

Love watching an in-form Warner, but if Khawaja can get the chop in subcontinental conditions despite stellar home form, then David Warner must face the same fate.
Despite his troubles in India I expected something from him in this innings, even a streaky 20 would have been a contribution. Very disappointing and now simply must come under the 'not for Subcontinent' label.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back