Prediction 2017 Free Agency & Trading - go to the Gibbs thread if you wish to discuss Gibbs!!!

Who do you think the Crows will get during the 2017 trade period?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pies would want a lot for him...
What's that saying? "Things don't happen just because people are keen on them. Neville Chamberlain was quite keen on peace"

Todd Goldstein not happy at North? UFA end of 2019. 29 this year. Will North be better trading him before UFA kicks in?
I think it was Caro that said he is on around $800k, so north would have to pay a chunk of the contract you'd think. Its probably in their best interest to ship him off and get a first round pick though.

I think it was Caro that said he is on around $800k, so north would have to pay a chunk of the contract you'd think. Its probably in their best interest to ship him off and get a first round pick though.
Lets just hope Hawthorn use up another 1st round pick on an expensive FA... I knew that strategy would come back to bite them sooner or later. Either them or Collingwood

Hate to say it, but at this point FA targets are losing their appeal to me. Especially ones that cost you a draft or 2 to bring in from greedy Victorian clubs. I just want to keep bringing in more young talent via the draft and keep developing them. If Pykey's system has taught us anything, its the importance of an even contribution from all players. Genuine superstar's are great, but champion teams are better!

They don't have one anyway. Saints have theirs
Yes, that was my point - they don't need a 1st round pick to get a FA, just enough cap space to outbid their current club, assuming they're restricted. And they should be able to free up a bit of space by putting a few more of the old guard out to pasture this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, that was my point - they don't need a 1st round pick to get a FA, just enough cap space to outbid their current club, assuming they're restricted. And they should be able to free up a bit of space by putting a few more of the old guard out to pasture this year.
We got a 1st for Dangerfield who was a FA. Free Agency in the AFL doesn't semm to work the same as in other sports, and trading of players on expired or expiring contracts seems pretty common, especially if the old team see's the writing on the wall early enough

Last edited:
But if it's a FA then they don't need to give up a 1st round pick?
I wish I knew the all the rules about AFL free Agency better, I'm just going off the past few years where FA players are still being part of blockbuster trades.

I'm sure plenty of people on here would know better, but all I know, is 'Free Agent' in the AFL is a very loose term

We got a 1st for Dangerfield who was a FA, both Jaeger and Tom Mitchel were FA's and cost the Hawks 1st rounders. Free Agency in the AFL doesn't work the same as in other sports
Out of Contract and Free Agents are two different things.

Free Agency only kicks in after 8 years.

We got a 1st for Dangerfield who was a FA. Free Agency in the AFL doesn't semm to work the same as in other sports, and trading of players on expired or expiring contracts seems pretty common, especially if the old team see's the writing on the wall early enough
Yeah, as others mentioned, Danger was eligible for free agency as a restricted free agent, meaning the Crows had the option of matching Geelong's offer. Because Geelong were able to get him on a contract worth considerably less than his market value, the Crows would have had no trouble matching their offer. So instead, Geelong worked a trade with us. So although Danger was eligible for free agency, he didn't actually leave as a free agent, he left as part of a trade.

Yeah, as others mentioned, Danger was eligible for free agency as a restricted free agent, meaning the Crows had the option of matching Geelong's offer. Because Geelong were able to get him on a contract worth considerably less than his market value, the Crows would have had no trouble matching their offer. So instead, Geelong worked a trade with us. So although Danger was eligible for free agency, he didn't actually leave as a free agent, he left as part of a trade.
Yep, you know what, you're right and I understand the distinction now. I guess all the variations had me confused about what constitutes a FA, RFA, Out of Contract etc... I got it now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back