List Mgmt. 2017 Contract Status (Seppo's Thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Will probably go. I'm hazarding a guess. Werent his parents not keen on him coming over here? I think there was some half-arsed attempt at passing it off as a joke after it blew up.

Is that really all you're basing it off? That's pretty bloody flimsy grounds for thinking he'll "probably" go. It's possible that Harley makes his own decisions. We've had a great retention rate among our young interstate players for quite a while now and I don't see why that wouldn't apply to him too.

Is that really all you're basing it off? That's pretty bloody flimsy grounds for thinking he'll "probably" go. It's possible that Harley makes his own decisions. We've had a great retention rate among our young interstate players for quite a while now and I don't see why that wouldn't apply to him too.

Hence why i said "probably" and "hazarding a guess"

Now he has played in a couple games (alot more hopefully) and standout wins too, hopefully he feels more for the club and part of it.

But I still think hes a risk, I dont think we have as much leeway with building depth when it includes Vic kids. Its too easy to go home and play if even it means seconds.

Now he has played in a couple games (alot more hopefully) and standout wins too, hopefully he feels more for the club and part of it.

But I still think hes a risk, I dont think we have as much leeway with building depth when it includes Vic kids. Its too easy to go home and play if even it means seconds.
What?!?! You think a Vic kid would rather go home and play 2nds than play AFL here in WA? That makes absolutely no sense.

Did you see our other 17 players get around him when he kicked his first goal? I think if he didn't want to be here that reaction would have been considerably different.

I said its harder for us to build depth coz the temptation for those Vic boys fighting the edges of the top 22 (next 10 or so) and playing for Peel most weekends to go home even if they are not guaranteed games. Not alot of downside, maybe a better chance on a losing Vic side than a WA team rebuilding.

Thats why I hope Balic gets more games to build the bond. Its easier in the team to bond than a Peel boy who looks on.

Up to 9 players out with out much effort. I think if Sandilands body hold up, and Ibbotson forms stays good then they will get another year. I doubt Johnson's body will be good enough.
Griffin - Delist
Ballantyne - Trade\Delist
Suban - Trade\Delist
Ibbotson - Delist\ 1 Year (Dependent on form)
Dawson - Delist
Johnson - Retire
Sandilands - Retire\1 Year (Can he stay fit)
Clarke - Trade\Delist
Yarran - Delist

The big question I have is about Mundy?

He is still in our top 5 players, but probably won't play in our next premiership. Would you rather a 2nd round pick, or his service for another 3 years.

If he got a good offer, I would support him in taking it and would happily take the 2nd round pick we got in compensation.

If he got a good offer, I would support him in taking it and would happily take the 2nd round pick we got in compensation.

It will also depend on the rest of the free agency situation, we wouldn't want to lose compensation for Mundy because we secured another band 2 free agent and I would expect the club with interest in him to be pushing for a flag in the short term so they could/should be a top four side - I would strongly consider matching an offer and trading for their first round pick instead. 24 to 16 might not sound like much but it all helps.

I'd be trying to secure Mundy for two more years anyway.

The big question I have is about Mundy?

He is still in our top 5 players, but probably won't play in our next premiership. Would you rather a 2nd round pick, or his service for another 3 years.

Definitely service for another 3 years. Mundy has been critical to our past two wins. Without him we might be sitting at 0-4 and our rebuild would look completely different to what it does today. Sure you have to bring in new blood but players like Mundy make the players around them better which is especially important in helping youngsters develop playing AFL games. If you take them all out you become uncompetitive and who develops well in that environment? Because everyone loves "learning" when they are getting spanked by a hundred points every week. It's why a bunch of clubs have been in a rebuild phase for many many years and some (eg Carlton) are still struggling to get out of it. If you look at what the Hawks have become after just losing SMitchell and Lewis - you just can't underestimate the impact they have not just individually but on their team mates. Mundy's versatility also means he isn't taking up a specific spot we need a youngster to develop in - which is why losing Barlow is probably justifiable in comparison.

Hypothetical tho, if we turned him into say pick 16. That would be the approximate going price for JJ. Would you do it for the potential premiership future chances? Tough one.

Hypothetical tho, if we turned him into say pick 16. That would be the approximate going price for JJ. Would you do it for the potential premiership future chances? Tough one.
I think we're being a bit delusional if we think we are getting pick #16 or anything close to that for a 31/32 year old. What pick did Mitchell and Lewis go for last year?

I think we're being a bit delusional if we think we are getting pick #16 or anything close to that for a 31/32 year old. What pick did Mitchell and Lewis go for last year?
Very different. Hawks were trying to get rid of players for salary cap reasons. If someone is offering to pick Mundy up under free agent rules then we have a base line of compensation. He is likely to get a decent $ offer so R2 compensation would be the minimum.

Very different. Hawks were trying to get rid of players for salary cap reasons. If someone is offering to pick Mundy up under free agent rules then we have a base line of compensation. He is likely to get a decent $ offer so R2 compensation would be the minimum.
I'd think a second rounder is the best compensation we could hope for given his age (and how long a contract another club might offer - which is why free agency for Mitchell would have gained little) but then again I was very surprised with the Mayne (and Wells) contract and compo so who knows? Pick #16 is still a first rounder. I suppose if we get the spoon it wouldn't be too far away with second round compo but I'm personally hoping we finish closer to the 8 :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Balic's Mum and Dad are now very happy that he was selected by Fremantle due to the way they have got his wrist fixed .Now that he is getting games he is going no where .

The Club will be looking very hard at players that have long term injury's and players that keep breaking down .
Players in the spot light Uebergang , Bennell , Deluca , Clarke and Apeness .
Older players that are not coping with or fit the new game plan Dawson , Griffin and D Pearce .
Players that have not improved over the last 2 seasons Suban , Sutcliffe .
And of coarse Yarran who has retired .
That's another 11 possible changes without considering the aging players Ballantyne and Johnson .
Sandi and Mundy will be with us for next year .

The Club will be looking very hard at players that have long term injury's and players that keep breaking down .
Players in the spot light Uebergang , Bennell , Deluca , Clarke and Apeness .
Older players that are not coping with or fit the new game plan Dawson , Griffin and D Pearce .
Players that have not improved over the last 2 seasons Suban , Sutcliffe .
And of coarse Yarran who has retired .
That's another 11 possible changes without considering the aging players Ballantyne and Johnson .
Sandi and Mundy will be with us for next year .

Uebergang - Rookie\Delist
Bennell - If he does not string together games this year put him on the Rookie list.
Deluca - Delist
Clarke - Delist
Apeness - If he does not string together games this year put him on the Rookie list.
Dawson , Griffin - Delist
D Pearce - Contracted, so keep him for 1 year
Suban - Delist
Sutcliffe - Not sure, maybe keep for 1 year on a minimum deal but if he will never be best 22 maybe we are better drafting another player.
Yarran - delist
Ballantyne - Trade\Retire
Johnson - Retire

8 players off our list easily. A few players may be given another chances as rookies. Moving Bennell to the rookie list will save us Cash.

PS - The rookie list may not be there next year.

Uebergang - Rookie\Delist
Bennell - If he does not string together games this year put him on the Rookie list.
Deluca - Delist
Clarke - Delist
Apeness - If he does not string together games this year put him on the Rookie list.
Dawson , Griffin - Delist
D Pearce - Contracted, so keep him for 1 year
Suban - Delist
Sutcliffe - Not sure, maybe keep for 1 year on a minimum deal but if he will never be best 22 maybe we are better drafting another player.
Yarran - delist
Ballantyne - Trade\Retire
Johnson - Retire

8 players off our list easily. A few players may be given another chances as rookies. Moving Bennell to the rookie list will save us Cash.

PS - The rookie list may not be there next year.

Yep there is easily enough scope for more change at the end of the year.

However, I would suggest that Johnson, Ballas and Clarke's fate will depend on how much/any football they play for the rest of the year.

If Johnson keeps building and stays largely injury free and wants to play I can see him getting a one year.

If Ballas comes in and performs then the same - one year.

The interesting one is Clarke, I would imagine we all see the end coming for Big Griff so if Clarke just gets fit again it may see him getting a "safety" one year deal. Look at where Melborne find themselves currently if you don't believe me!! If Str$&@ can be a genuine ruck then that could change things but isn't he mainly a forward?

However, I would suggest that Johnson, Ballas and Clarke's fate will depend on how much/any football they play for the rest of the year.

If Johnson keeps building and stays largely injury free and wants to play I can see him getting a one year.

If Ballas comes in and performs then the same - one year.

The interesting one is Clarke, I would imagine we all see the end coming for Big Griff so if Clarke just gets fit again it may see him getting a "safety" one year deal. Look at where Melborne find themselves currently if you don't believe me!! If Str$&@ can be a genuine ruck then that could change things but isn't he mainly a forward?

All 3 players have shown a sharp decline although Johnson has shown impressive form this year.

I doubt we will be pushing for the finals, so it will not hurt us to play Darcy in the ruck for 5+ game next year and draft another mature ruck as a rookie backup.

I don't think Clarke offers anything at the moment, but I could be convinced to rookie him if needed and his body showed he could possibly take it.

Johnson body is slowing down quickly, A Pearce should be fit and firing next year so he can play his role plus we should give Collins a few games to see what he can do.

Ballas has slowed a lot in the last 2-3 years, it would take a big form reversal for me to consider him.

I have us at 6-8 changes at the moment with a lot of renewals

Players that keep breaking down

Uebergang - 1yr Still contracted
Bennell - 2yr Still contracted
Deluca - Delist
Clarke - Trade, 2yrs if Griffen is gone
Apeness - 2yr Still contracted
Players that have not improved
Suban - Trade\Delist
Sutcliffe - Keep
Ibbotson - Trade\Keep
Ageing players