Prediction Future of Josh has gone to the Dogs.

Where's Schack at in 2018?

• Brisbane

Votes: 173 42.3%
  • Other

Votes: 141 34.5%
  • Does anybody even care anymore?

Votes: 95 23.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I still think he'll explore his free agency options.

Yep

heraldsun.Thursday

Fagan is one of the keys to helping keep Rockliff at the club, but the Lions could be rewarded with a first or second-round compensation pick if the Victorian leaves as a free agent.
Brisbane is bottom of the ladder, meaning first-round compensation could net it pick No. 2, but only if Rockliff is paid more than about $700,000 at a new club.
A lesser salary would trigger a second-round compensation pick — No. 19 on current standings.

Was watching his rookie of the year speech the other night and he thanked his mum for flying around the country with him. He apparently more frequently started getting friends and family up here this year.

Obviously just not an independent, mature type of 19 year old. Needs his friends and family around. Probs knew it when we drafted him but was too good to pass up.

I don't think these are the personality types you want at a footy club period...particularly Brisbane.

TBH reminds me of Kristian Jaksch...pick #12 highly rated key forward.
We got him via trade and in his first media interview was talking about how good it was to be back home with friends and family...pretty sure he moved back in with his parents.

Seems very similar to Schache in that he wasn't ready maturity wise, and KJ seems like a bit of an 'odd' character who probably isn't the most popular guy...again similar to these Schache rumours. He does seem to be a bit of an introvert who likes to keep to himself...not great for making friends in a new state.

On the bright side at least we only literally have to wait a decade until an entire generation of local players from the academy can go through an entire cycle of list regeneration so we aren't as reliant on interstate players...

Here's the thing- if we lose a no.2 draft pick, consensus top key forward in the draft (something we'd been after for years) after two years, is a disaster that reflects extremely poorly on the current staff running the club no matter how you spin it. This just doesn't happen. Ok, GWS lost Boyd after one season, but their concessions make it a one off. Apart from that there were a couple of others who had significant injury issues and were almost surplus to requirements GC have lost a stack of players, but not after two years.

It would be very easy to put this (if Schache leaves, that is) down as just another setback, but the reality is that it would likely be far worse than that. If Schache leaves, I think the club needs to be quite open about what went wrong, and why, because having a highly valued player who performed well in his first year and doesn't appear to have any of the usual off-field problems leave like this simply can't be accepted.
I don't think these are the personality types you want at a footy club period...particularly Brisbane.

TBH reminds me of Kristian Jaksch...pick #12 highly rated key forward.
We got him via trade and in his first media interview was talking about how good it was to be back home with friends and family...pretty sure he moved back in with his parents.

Seems very similar to Schache in that he wasn't ready maturity wise, and KJ seems like a bit of an 'odd' character who probably isn't the most popular guy...again similar to these Schache rumours. He does seem to be a bit of an introvert who likes to keep to himself...not great for making friends in a new state.
Jaksch has never shown anything at AFL level at any point though, that's not the case here at all.

On the bright side at least we only literally have to wait a decade until an entire generation of local players from the academy can go through an entire cycle of list regeneration so we aren't as reliant on interstate players...

I agree with the sentiment.

Having a high proportion of our future Lions teams coming from top end Academy and other local talent wold no doubt arrest the player drain that appears to have settled into a never ending cycle.

Having said that, keep in mind that to start with, there is an inbuilt dilution of talent available to Aussie Rules football in the Brisbane and wider Queensland market. In this State we are in GENUINE competition with THREE other football codes, as well as major sports like cricket.

If our code and by extension, our club is ever going to have a meaningful number of talented "locals" playing for us, it's imperative that the we continue to make playing Aussie Rules past the Under Age level attractive to the "kids",

Of course, with both the Lions and the Suns continuing to be more or less basket cases, there exists an almost Catch 22 situation for the code. Meaningless platitudes from Gill such as "generally pleased" do nothing to address the very real problems that exist in the Queensland marketplace.

I'm beginning to believe that not only do the AFL bosses not "get it" but have no intention of ever getting it.

Willful ignorance.

Honestly I get the whole doom and gloom of losing a #2 pick after only 2 years. However I think given our current list situation of surplus kpfs and available academy one this year we can really use it to our advantage. If the 2 first rounders for him is possible we would end up with 4 firsts and a really early second. If we could also trade out what is looking like pick 1 for another 2 firsts that takes us to 5 firsts. I get that people will say what's the point in that many first rounders if they will leave after 2 years again. That's why I am suggesting we should take them on a shopping spree in this years trade period. We have spent the last 2 years paying only 95% of cap so can pay 110% next year if we wish. Lets offer 4-5 20-24 year old A graders at other clubs front ended overs contracts to come. Traded in players are more likely to stay then draftees, you know how they preform at afl level already plus they lift our experience/age profile. Would make us more competitive sooner. We could sell it to them by saying if you all come (4-5 new best 22 players) would turn us to be instantly competitive/relevant from next year. We could offer 2 of our firsts to Gws for 2/3 of Greene, Hopper and Kenndy, a first to Sydney for Jones and a first to Essendon for Parish. Add to that our 2 best academy kids this year and we look a whole new team next year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that is the case, then that is him, and it is not likely to change no matter where he goes. He will not fit in anywhere.
Tend to agree with those sentiments. Appears that he might have a bigger issue in assimilating anywhere and back in footy town might not be the panacea he is looking for. He may be fully aware of this and it is part of the reason he is still to make a decision. It's a big decision for him and clearly why his footy is struggling.

Just watched Fagan on 360...Got the impression If he does tell the club he wants to go back to Victoria..there wont be waiting till the end of the year... we'll send him straight back to Vic and get him a clearance to play in a lower state league.
Geez, what orifice did you just pull that out of?

Here's the thing- if we lose a no.2 draft pick, consensus top key forward in the draft (something we'd been after for years) after two years, is a disaster that reflects extremely poorly on the current staff running the club no matter how you spin it. This just doesn't happen. Ok, GWS lost Boyd after one season, but their concessions make it a one off. Apart from that there were a couple of others who had significant injury issues and were almost surplus to requirements GC have lost a stack of players, but not after two years.

It would be very easy to put this (if Schache leaves, that is) down as just another setback, but the reality is that it would likely be far worse than that. If Schache leaves, I think the club needs to be quite open about what went wrong, and why, because having a highly valued player who performed well in his first year and doesn't appear to have any of the usual off-field problems leave like this simply can't be accepted.

Jaksch has never shown anything at AFL level at any point though, that's not the case here at all.
I understand your sentiment but I strongly disagree with the bolded, it could simply be that Josh wants to go home and it wouldn't have mattered one iota what we did. Fagan saying on 360 last night that "It's a free world" when talking about the chances of Josh staying was pertinent.

If it was to be a mass exodus of young players similar to the go home 5 debacle then I would concede there was still a severe problem. One player no matter how high a draft pick IMO does not a crisis make.

I agree with the sentiment.

Having a high proportion of our future Lions teams coming from top end Academy and other local talent wold no doubt arrest the player drain that appears to have settled into a never ending cycle.

Having said that, keep in mind that to start with, there is an inbuilt dilution of talent available to Aussie Rules football in the Brisbane and wider Queensland market. In this State we are in GENUINE competition with THREE other football codes, as well as major sports like cricket.

If our code and by extension, our club is ever going to have a meaningful number of talented "locals" playing for us, it's imperative that the we continue to make playing Aussie Rules past the Under Age level attractive to the "kids",

Of course, with both the Lions and the Suns continuing to be more or less basket cases, there exists an almost Catch 22 situation for the code. Meaningless platitudes from Gill such as "generally pleased" do nothing to address the very real problems that exist in the Queensland marketplace.

I'm beginning to believe that not only do the AFL bosses not "get it" but have no intention of ever getting it.

Willful ignorance.
We struggle to keep them in youth footy.

Eddie does not want the Lions strong again. Or anyone outside of the magpies :)
They need strong teams in Melb, SA, WA where the TV ratings are.
The Lions and the Suns both shot themselves in the foot.
Yes but they need the expansion teams to satisfy the content requirements placed on them by 7 and Foxtel.
Make no mistake, the AFL would not have got the deal they did without the teams outside the heartland.
It's just that they are happy for us and the Suns to be mediocre - have you seen the crowds they get?

Yes but they need the expansion teams to satisfy the content requirements placed on them by 7 and Foxtel.
Make no mistake, the AFL would not have got the deal they did without the teams outside the heartland.
It's just that they are happy for us and the Suns to be mediocre - have you seen the crowds they get?

I think I ideally for the afl we're a mediocre team that sits around the 6th-11th mark and draws crowds around the 25k-28k mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back