What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? (Part 1 - cont in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't know if this is unpopular but judging by the media, it is.

A team in Tasmania won't work, not because they won't have enough crowds or because of North/South etc but because no young people want to live there. There is not enough homegrown talent there (0 players drafted last year) and will have the same problems as Brisbane in retaining talent- they will bail to Melbourne as soon as they get the chance (and to be honest I don't blame them).

They had the Tassie football Hall of Fame this week and even that was hosted it in Melbourne!

Wat?

You think teams don't plan for players in advance?

'Oh we've got Sydney this week, who should we play on Franklin?'
'He's just 1 of 22, focus on Dean Towers too'

i think he means that Brisbane are shithouse and rockliff is not going to make a difference

I think that incidents like the Barry Hall punch on Staker (and only receiving 6 weeks) have contributed to our king hit/coward punch/assault problem in wider society.

He was constantly lauded for how tough he is, and kids grew up wishing to emulate this quality. Surprise surprise we now have a generation that thinks it's ok to belt people from behind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that incidents like the Barry Hall punch on Staker (and only receiving 6 weeks) have contributed to our king hit/coward punch/assault problem in wider society.

He was constantly lauded for how tough he is, and kids grew up wishing to emulate this quality. Surprise surprise we now have a generation that thinks it's ok to belt people from behind.

He actually received a seven match suspension. How many do you think he should have received?

I think the AFL should be a 17 week season + 4 weeks finals. 2 byes, and the week before the finals a State of Origin/kick and giggle match made up of players from the non-finals teams.

The only reason the season is so long is for commercial reasons. If the AFL had some balls, they would pull the trigger and solve nearly all of their problems in 1 simple move.

I think the AFL should be a 17 week season + 4 weeks finals. 2 byes, and the week before the finals a State of Origin/kick and giggle match made up of players from the non-finals teams.

The only reason the season is so long is for commercial reasons. If the AFL had some balls, they would pull the trigger and solve nearly all of their problems in 1 simple move.

Similarly, but in completely the other direction, i'd like to see a full double round robin of 34 rounds.

I'd play games midweek to fulfil the 34 games in 23 weeks. I'd shorten the length of games to make this feasible, maybe even extend benches (but maintain the interchange cap).

From a purely inequity of the fixture point of view, I don't think this would be that unpopular an opinion really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back