Opinion Travis Boak

Remove this Banner Ad

Sick of excuses, last year there was speculation that he was injured, now apparently it's his new role, he's played like a drunk for a couple of years now at a time he should be at his peak, sad to watch him at present. All very well to say he deserves respect, he's been a loyal servant blah, blah, blah - but he is a very well paid professional sportsman who is not at the standard required and could do with a run with the Maggies - end of story.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Travs an enigma, give him the role he won 2 All Australians playing, give him a couple of weeks and see how he goes. if he's still of the pace probably needs to be dropped, for one of the young guys putting their hands up ! Sad to think he might be done, hope not - should have a few years left in him !

If he wasn't the captain would he be getting a game at the moment ?

Just being played horribly out of position...much like he was last year. I was so bored at the game yesterday that I made a conscious decision to watch where he is being played because his form has baffled me this year.

The thing is he still looks quite good when he actually goes into a centre bounce and more often than not he gets first hands on it. The problem is he only seems to go in there 4 or 5 times a game!

He spent a lot of the second half yesterday coming in off the wing, while Chad was in the guts. Boak looked extremely unsure of when and how to attack the contest from that position. If it were up to me, Boak should be in the guts and Chad on the wing. Boak getting it out to Chad to deliver inside 50 is a much better option than Chad getting it out to Boak!!

Also, as good as SPP has been, he is taking too many midfield minutes off Boak for not enough impact in the last month. SPP is the player that should be having longer stints up forward to manage him through his first season.

Just being played horribly out of position...much like he was last year. I was so bored at the game yesterday that I made a conscious decision to watch where he is being played because his form has baffled me this year.

The thing is he still looks quite good when he actually goes into a centre bounce and more often than not he gets first hands on it. The problem is he only seems to go in there 4 or 5 times a game!

He spent a lot of the second half yesterday coming in off the wing, while Chad was in the guts. Boak looked extremely unsure of when and how to attack the contest from that position. If it were up to me, Boak should be in the guts and Chad on the wing. Boak getting it out to Chad to deliver inside 50 is a much better option than Chad getting it out to Boak!!

Also, as good as SPP has been, he is taking too many midfield minutes off Boak for not enough impact in the last month. SPP is the player that should be having longer stints up forward to manage him through his first season.

very good post!
  1. Boak is playing a role he is not suited to
  2. SPP has had a wonderful debut season but his output is waning
  3. Chad off the wing is ideal

Just being played horribly out of position...much like he was last year. I was so bored at the game yesterday that I made a conscious decision to watch where he is being played because his form has baffled me this year....
We need Boak cam, a camera that focuses just on him to work out what he is doing.

Travs an enigma, give him the role he won 2 All Australians playing, give him a couple of weeks and see how he goes. if he's still of the pace probably needs to be dropped, for one of the young guys putting their hands up ! Sad to think he might be done, hope not - should have a few years left in him !

If he wasn't the captain would he be getting a game at the moment ?
Just what I was discussing at the game last night - captains in the EPL can be dropped, although this can sometimes be for reasons other than form as with European and cup games a team may play 60-70 games a year.

Just seems like he's struggling with the position he's being asked to play, no different to Hartlett and Trengove. Why the coaches insist on experimenting with things that don't need to be messed with is beyond me.

This is just silly excuses. He's not accounting for his man, and on his own a lot. He can go wherever he wants on the oval, so what "position" does he actually have?

His instinctual reaction now is to do a quick handball backwards. So he's not a ball winner, and not a distributor. And when he does have position to move it FORWARDS instead of backwards like he is doing, he can't even kick it within 10 metres of a man 25 metres away. That kicking disposal quality we saw last night would have had me dropped from the payneham 2nds forever ago

We laugh at Sam Spray, but he gets the ball believe it or not, and does more.

On merit, Boak is not very useful. If we got a pick under 20, take it.

If someone wants a premiership, you need to be brutal. No protests down at the port lighthouse to save Russell. Brutal.

Would we get pick 1 or 3 for Boak and gray? That kind of brutal.

Boak will do the right thing I am sure. Who wants to be one of those middle aged football cripples? Poor guy, I think his body is cactus

He needs to give up the captiancy and maybe a sanfl game or 2 but with the polec and amon injuries he will have to play.

Been our best player the last decade and that should never be forgotten but he's just off and it sucks because he's a great man and a true professional

Best player the last decade? Wow. Two exceptional years. I'd have said Robbie gray myself. Pick 6 wasn't he?

This is just silly excuses. He's not accounting for his man, and on his own a lot. He can go wherever he wants on the oval, so what "position" does he actually have?

His instinctual reaction now is to do a quick handball backwards. So he's not a ball winner, and not a distributor. And when he does have position to move it FORWARDS instead of backwards like he is doing, he can't even kick it within 10 metres of a man 25 metres away. That kicking disposal quality we saw last night would have had me dropped from the payneham 2nds forever ago

We laugh at Sam Spray, but he gets the ball believe it or not, and does more.

On merit, Boak is not very useful. If we got a pick under 20, take it.

If someone wants a premiership, you need to be brutal. No protests down at the port lighthouse to save Russell. Brutal.

Would we get pick 1 or 3 for Boak and gray? That kind of brutal.

Boak will do the right thing I am sure. Who wants to be one of those middle aged football cripples? Poor guy, I think his body is cactus

We aren't winning a flag with this coach so I'm not really interested in seeing any of Boak or Robbie being traded out until there's some change at the top.

Best player the last decade? Wow. Two exceptional years. I'd have said Robbie gray myself. Pick 6 wasn't he?

He was our top 2 mid through 09-12 . All aus caliber 2013-2015 as well . Wingard 2013 to now robbie 2014 to now ish. Not saying its massive but there is a reason why him staying was crucial to our club during the hinkley era. Lets not be so fogetful what he has done for us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We aren't winning a flag with this coach so I'm not really interested in seeing any of Boak or Robbie being traded out until there's some change at the top.
I'm actually very comfortable with our 24 and under players, plus Ebert and one or two others around 27.

I think we have a team for 7/8 years to come.

Because of that, I would trade players who add little who might get a draft upgrade. Westhiff go lobbe, hartlett, and for a top pick Robbie gray.

So for Travis, well this is nonsense about "out of position" . Go and get the balls. Can't do that well you are a receiver then. An outside player. And on the last 2 years performance, not even an average standard player.

I'd take anything under 50 for him. He adds little anymore, runs away from the critical contest and has poor disposal. I mean 3 kicks against Essendon!!. 9 kicks versus Brisbane? And these aren't aberrations.

Thank you for your service. Thank you for staying when you might have walked. Thank you for being a true captain it those two recovery seasons.

Based on your last 50 performances The game has moved past you. Maybe your body has packed it in, but staying out there damages the memory and legacy of your achievements .

Best of luck in the future . Maybe a club can carry you, but we simply don't have that luxury.

I'm actually very comfortable with our 24 and under players, plus Ebert and one or two others around 27.

I think we have a team for 7/8 years to come.

Because of that, I would trade players who add little who might get a draft upgrade. Westhiff go lobbe, hartlett, and for a top pick Robbie gray.

So for Travis, well this is nonsense about "out of position" . Go and get the balls. Can't do that well you are a receiver then. An outside player. And on the last 2 years performance, not even an average standard player.

I'd take anything under 50 for him. He adds little anymore, runs away from the critical contest and has poor disposal. I mean 3 kicks against Essendon!!. 9 kicks versus Brisbane? And these aren't aberrations.

Thank you for your service. Thank you for staying when you might have walked. Thank you for being a true captain it those two recovery seasons.

Based on your last 50 performances The game has moved past you. Maybe your body has packed it in, but staying out there damages the memory and legacy of your achievements .

Best of luck in the future . Maybe a club can carry you, but we simply don't have that luxury.

So what makes you think we can get even a remotely decent pick for him? Either you think he's worth more to other clubs than he is to us or that other clubs are blind to his capabilities.

So what makes you think we can get even a remotely decent pick for him? Either you think he's worth more to other clubs than he is to us or that other clubs are blind to his capabilities.

Straw man argument . Contradictory and puts words in my mouth.

I'm just saying take what we can get for him now, he'll be worth something to someone.

If you don't think he could command a pick under 50 surely you'd think he probably doesn't deserve to be playing for us?

Edit: (Because other clubs can see we have a plodder coach and apparently he is being played out of position?)

Last edited:
Need to start the cull at the end of the year. Ebert captain, Ollie vice. Remove that whole crew (Boak, Westy, Pittard and Hammer), all make the team on reputation and not performance.

Ken won't drop sam gray and we are calling for him to drop boak haha. Never.going.to.happen.
Brings in neade puts trengove up forward Dixon into the centre.

You're right. It's a redundant thread. Trav will just hang onto the captaincy and the money for as long as he wants to keep stinking it up won't he.

Straw man argument . Contradictory and puts words in my mouth.

I'm just saying take what we can get for him now, he'll be worth something to someone.

If you don't think he could command a pick under 50 surely you'd think he probably doesn't deserve to be playing for us?

You've spent the last little bit replying to people to tell them how s**t he is but then say he'll be worth something to someone. To who? I'm genuinely curious.

See how the year turns out, if it's still the same towards the end he's gotta hand over that C and concentrate on himself.

He was our top 2 mid through 09-12 . All aus caliber 2013-2015 as well . Wingard 2013 to now robbie 2014 to now ish. Not saying its massive but there is a reason why him staying was crucial to our club during the hinkley era. Lets not be so fogetful what he has done for us
I agree but what do we do with a captain on big bucks thats had below par impact for over half a year.

You've spent the last little bit replying to people to tell them how s**t he is but then say he'll be worth something to someone. To who? I'm genuinely curious.

TL:DR Captaincy Burden, s**t coaching, out of position. Excuses offered for him here. I do not believe these are the reasons, but plehnty here do. I am sure that of the 17 clubs 1 may think this too and is prepared to make a good offer.

Well a few facts. On his _performance_ then it is undeniable he has been playing s**t. What he did vs Geelong at the end was possibly the worst captaincy of any professional sport I can recall for a long time. Then 3 kicks vs Essendon and now what...9 kicks against a team of cripples in Brisbane and those turnovers- he is barely SANFL standard kicking now.

What is relevant is that these are not aberrations. I've seen every single game he has played for points or finals and know what I see, including those live. His last 50 games have been atrocious. There is no cash for him to have not been spelled or dropped. There is a reason Ken is continually asked "whats wrong with Travis is he injured" over the last few years, never mind the debate for 6 years over "we should have got Selwood" prior to his 2 2 AAs when we agreed it was now a draw...but the last 2 seasons have, anyway, sliding doors and that

So, what would he be worth to someone else? The answer to that is he would be worth more than I think he is worth to us so I would take that offer.

The evidence of that is the persistence of those here who are adamant that he is being played out of position and if we only played him where he won his 2 AAs he would be great again. Unless they are completely wrong then I believe of the 17 other clubs there would be one who may believes that he is worth paying more than I believe he is contributing to us

Add over this the evidence that we have a dud coach and other coaches may also see his effectiveness as being *ed by poor coaching, direction, sets ups and positioning. I think it is pretty clear that most players have regressed from their peak under Ken Hinckley I expect other clubs would know this too. Or is it just a coincidence that Boak, Wingard, Gray, Lobbe, Hartlett, Pittard are playing well under the level they should be expected to play at?

In addition to this the issue of "captaincy burden"- another excuse offered here for him

I am sure there is another club that would think Travis Boak is worth a punt on a pick 20-30 if they had 2 or 3 before that.

Let me ask you- do you think he would be worth something to ANY other AFL club? Because if not, I assume you are making the case he should be dropped (which I am incidentally on the basis of performance and poor leadership being a playing field cancer)

I find some of the comments about Boak a bit extreme. Either very disrespectful or over the top (best player of the last decade? LOL).

To me, he has been a good to very good player who is either past it or going through a very long rough patch. Hopefully, he recovers some form and can contribute to the team for a couple of more years.

Average to good captain. Played well when the team was playing well but I don't recall many games where he got us over the line. Especially the past couple of years. When a team fails to win close and/or crucial games the way we do, the captain has to come under scrutiny.

He's time as Port's captain should end with this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back