what clever game tactics do you know?

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember an interview a few years back with Kieren Jack, whose father, as you'd know, is rugby league legend Garry Jack. When they got onto the inevitable territory of "how does your Dad feel about his son being so successful in a different code?" he laughed and said "Dad's always calling me after a game and saying "Why don't you just chip it over the top? Just chip it over the top, Kieren!" "

* me the 2012 GF build up was nauseating.

Kieren Jack - son of Garry Jack
Josh Kennedy - ex Hawthorn player of the famous Kennedy family
Mike Pyke - used to play rugby for Canada, scored a try against the All Blacks
Mitch Morton - journeyman, only played 4 games all year and in because McGlynn is injured, kicked 2 goals in the QF

As per the Jonas thread it's annoying when the media don't know anything about players, but sometimes it's worse when they know a bit and repeat it over and over and over. Then two yeas later there was Franklin at the Swans, Spangher at the Hawks...

Interesting. I would be surprised if that were legal in the AFL. Does anyone know the rule?

The interchange gate isn't a special portal, it's just a couple of white markings on the ground. Players run through/over/around it all the time when the play is on centre wing.

If you run up to the gate as though you are going off then just sneak around it I don't know how you are breaking any rules if no one comes on. All interchanges are recorded these days but I don't think you'd be recorded for the above. For the whole time you are being sneaky your team is playing 17 vs 18 so it's a numerical disadvantage.

This is against the rules.

However climbing the goal posts to spoil the ball is not against the rules.

What are the rules against this:

lineout.jpg

Set shot from 55m. We put Vardy on the line with our key defenders. As the ball comes in Vardy goes for the mark/spoil and Barrass/Mackenzie give him a boost.

?

What are the rules against this:

lineout.jpg

Set shot from 55m. We put Vardy on the line with our key defenders. As the ball comes in Vardy goes for the mark/spoil and Barrass/Mackenzie give him a boost.

?

Pretty sure that falls under the same section of the rules that prevents a player from climbing on their teammate

15.11.1.c

Free kicks awarded when:

"a Player has lifted a Player or climbed on the shoulders of a Player
from the same Team. This Free Kick shall be taken by a Player
from the opposing Team where the infringement occurred or
where the football is at the time of the infringement, whichever is
the greater penalty against the offending Team;"

Legend.

I swear I read all of section 15.

**** me the 2012 GF build up was nauseating.

Kieren Jack - son of Garry Jack
Josh Kennedy - ex Hawthorn player of the famous Kennedy family
Mike Pyke - used to play rugby for Canada, scored a try against the All Blacks
Mitch Morton - journeyman, only played 4 games all year and in because McGlynn is injured, kicked 2 goals in the QF

As per the Jonas thread it's annoying when the media don't know anything about players, but sometimes it's worse when they know a bit and repeat it over and over and over. Then two yeas later there was Franklin at the Swans, Spangher at the Hawks...
C'monnnnn...

Four great stories.

Sport without stories doesn't amount to much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. If your team is up with a couple minutes left. When your team has a shot on goal, the player waits the full 30seconds then proceeds to begin a 50m run up which he crawls at snail pace. Wasting a ton of time. Then as he finishes the long run up instead of having a shot he just chips the ball backwards or sideways to a teammate who proceeds to do the same thing. Rinse and repeat as many times as possible. 3-4min+ wasted for free.

2. On kick-ins if the opposition sets up a zone, gather every player in a small huddle in the middle of the ground. Then the kicker just bombs it down the guts for an easy outnumber situation. If the opposition releases their zone to also gather in the middle to man up, then every player will scatter in different directions at full speed to create easy hitup leads. Or they could disperse in a way that creates a heavy outnumber on 1 side of the ground, Eg, 3-4 players run to the right side of ground whilst the other 12-13 players all rush to the left side of the ground creating a outnumber to kick to.

3. When the opposition has a set shot for goal 40-50m out, have a player with a good vertical leap jump on the shoulders of your ruckman (like taking a speccie), then the ruckman will jump in coordination with the leaper gaining an extra boost (like Howe's recent speccie). With enough practice at training you could probably get a good 4-5m off the ground.
If this isn't enough then have 2 players climb up each goal post 5-10m high then jump off to make contact with the incoming shot at goal. Whilst their teammates are grouped up underneath to catch them as they fall.

4. At stoppages around the ground have your ruckman jump on the shoulders of a teammate like a speccie to win every tapout easily.

5. Torpedos. The best counter to the forward press is torps. From kickins, or any marks/free kicks. A few good torps and you could get 4-5 Josh Jenkins type goals out the back. With enough practice it's really not that hard. NFL punters can kick em with almost %100 reliability.

2. On kick-ins if the opposition sets up a zone, gather every player in a small huddle in the middle of the ground. Then the kicker just bombs it down the guts for an easy outnumber situation. If the opposition releases their zone to also gather in the middle to man up, then every player will scatter in different directions at full speed to create easy hitup leads. Or they could disperse in a way that creates a heavy outnumber on 1 side of the ground, Eg, 3-4 players run to the right side of ground whilst the other 12-13 players all rush to the left side of the ground creating a outnumber to kick to.

Might just be the comp I umpire in (year 8 to 12 kids) but just about every side does this at every kick-in, it's pretty funny actually. Coaches mustn't have very good tactical imagination.

Might just be the comp I umpire in (year 8 to 12 kids) but just about every side does this at every kick-in, it's pretty funny actually. Coaches mustn't have very good tactical imagination.
The huddle is the most overused, useless tactic there is. Especially when it involves a kick down the line and no one ever gets there in time.

1.) Go to the interchange bench but don't actually rest, just get on the exercise bike. Opposition will think you're well rested and dangerous when you come back on and will triple team you ... joke is on them though because you're actually really tired.

2.) Run laps of the boundary as fast as you can until the opponents get dizzy from watching you and fall over. You walk into goals and score.

Take a dump in your shorts so no one wants to get near you

I read years ago a memoir from an English soccer player (centre-forward) who found out that one of the main opposition centre-half (direct opponent) hated garlic.

So he used to load up on the garlic the night before and morning of the game, and the centre-half would stand an extra step away from him, which gave him that split-second extra time when running into space. Tiny, but important. Take any advantage you can.

I'm glad to see a bit this year (because of the 3rd man up rule), of sides not even bothering to contest the ruck. Let the opposing ruck tap it, and then you have 4 players trying for the loose ball rather than the opponent's 3. I always thought sides should have tried that a few years back when Sandilands was basically unbeatable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back