Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The McCarthy deal was one of the best deals we've ever done. We took advantage of GWS wanting to move up the draft ladder.

How a dip from 3 to 7 is a bad trade is beyond me.

Mcarthy was always leaving - he was out of the game for 18 months, was a third tall who had fallen to the back of the pecking order in the GWS forward line. At best, a 2nd round pick should have got it done.

Mcarthy was always leaving - he was out of the game for 18 months, was a third tall who had fallen to the back of the pecking order in the GWS forward line. At best, a 2nd round pick should have got it done.

Yeah not sure you really got how this deal went down.

Best deal the club has done EVER and by a long way. Not many who actually have any idea would disagree.

Until the trade period is done I wouldn't be counting on pick 5.
There is so much to play out and I really wouldn't think the list management crew are set on any targets - that are fixed.
It will be very fluid until the death knell of trade week and only then will we have any idea of what the club is thinking.
We still have the potential of Tucker leaving as well as Balic of course - if we could net a late second and a third that would be a good outcome.
I wouldn't be adverse to Mundy chasing success as cream to a team in contention if he wanted to chase a premiership as long as we got a late second rounder this year or next.

Yeah not sure you really got how this deal went down.

Best deal the club has done EVER and by a long way. Not many who actually have any idea would disagree.

We coughed up pick 3 for 7, 34 and some change.

For a player who had been out of the game and was not going to ever player for GWS again.

I don't understand people who believe that is sound business - the market was cornered and we still relented. Absurd.

Luke Davies-Uniacke has piqued my interest of late. Given how shallow our midfield talent is, we could do with this kind of power.

Trading from 3 to 5 is valued at significantly less than trading a second rounder. And the steak knives in this deal are very sharp and shiny.

Trading from 3 to 5 is valued at significantly less than trading a second rounder. And the steak knives in this deal are very sharp and shiny.

3 - 7 and we missed out on any of the following because of it.

Mcluggage
Petrovski Seaton
Ainsworth
Scrimshaw.

We didn't need to do it. Period, he wasn't going anywhere else, was "damaged goods" and we folded.

For a player who had been out of the game and was not going to ever player for GWS again.

I don't understand people who believe that is sound business - the market was cornered and we still relented. Absurd.
No we gave up pick 3 for McCarthy, pick 7, pick 34 and pick 72. We used 7 on Logue. We used #34 as part of a trade for Hamling (which is about what we paid for him). And then we traded #72 in another trade but got #71 back which we drafted Luke Ryan with.

Effectively we got McCarthy, Logue, Hamling and Ryan for pick #3. How is that a bad deal?

If we got McCarthy for zilch the deal was still a good one. As Snuff points out, Taranto for Logue, Hamling and Ryan.... yes please.

No we gave up pick 3 for McCarthy, pick 7, pick 34 and pick 72. We used 7 on Logue. We used #34 as part of a trade for Hamling (which is about what we paid for him). And then we traded #72 in another trade but got #71 back which we drafted Luke Ryan with.

Effectively we got McCarthy, Logue, Hamling and Ryan for pick #3. How is that a bad deal?

He doesn't get it.

The deal is better then if McCarthy had come to us for free.

We had a player who had advertised that he was never returning to the eastern seaboard, that he was never going ot play for another club. The market was cornered, there was only ever going to be one outcome.

Knowing this, and having the high ground - we somehow saw fit to lower ourselves in the first round pecking order - knowing full well we were in the first years of a rebuild. We have missed out on the cream of the class of 2016 for a third tall who looked a good with silver service.

We know have an athlete who doesn't read the game and a lazy forward who can't take a contested mark to save himself and was getting bronxed cheered whenever he touched it on the weekend.

We could have been watching Petrovski Seaton or Mcluggage deliver the ball on the weekend. Instead, we had to watch Suban.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really, really hoping there is a deal of this nature again.

Even if McCarthy had come to us for nothing... the deal we actually did was better.

Any of the players you mentioned wouldn't be worth Logue, Hamling and Ryan combined.

Even if McCarthy had come to us for nothing... the deal we actually did was better.

Any of the players you mentioned wouldn't be worth Logue, Hamling and Ryan combined.

We're going ot have to agree to disagree - I think the premise of whole trade was flawed, why we needed to move when the fish was already coming to us is beyond me.

We're going ot have to agree to disagree - I think the premise of whole trade was flawed, why we needed to move when the fish was already coming to us is beyond me.
Nah. You just don't rate Logue and have already put a line through him. It is incredible to be able to judge young talent, especially in emerging talls.

was getting bronxed cheered whenever he touched it on the weekend.
There were morons at Domain on Saturday booing a player re-entering the game after sidelining himself for an entire season, probably in order to get to our club!
The Bronxers may have thought he cost pick 3 and wasn't playing like one??

We could have been watching Petrovski Seaton or Mcluggage deliver the ball on the weekend. Instead, we had to watch Suban.
True. I am a massive fan of SPS and still think he will likely become the best player from that draft. But we desperately needed to fill other gaps and we had very few picks. We filled 4 B22 spots with 1 pick (and I think all 4 will be B22 for a very long time). We can build our defence around Hamling - the recruit of the year. McCarthy is quality but he's come back from a year off - don't judge him too early - he'll also benefit a heap from having other quality talls in our forward line. Ryan has given us more attack and class kicking from defence than we've seen in years. And the expectations on Logue in his first year are ridiculous - young talls almost always take time.

You just sound like a pessimist.

Imagine a nice pizza. Let's say the seller wants $20 for it, but you're like WTF... nah man. The shop closes in 5 minutes and there's no one else here to buy the pizza... you may as well sell it. The seller says no.

You come back a day later and that exact same Pizza is still there. You go in and say 'dude... seriously take my $10... you won't find a better deal'. The seller is reluctant, but holds their ground and still insists on $20... but they offer some desserts and a 1.25L coke. After some haggling you also reduce the initial price and get the pizza for $15. You have the bonus desert and the 1.25L coke to complete the meal.

You remind me of the kind of stiff that would still rather buy a $20 pizza because you can't bring yourself to see a bargain when it smacks you in the face and would rather question the finer details, when it's obvious that a desert and drink completes the meal. Plus the pizza is still the bloody same.

Agree to disagree? You may as well wave a white flag.

McCarthy was still contracted with GWS for another year. He wasn't always coming to us.

That deal was incredibly good because both teams won from the deal - we got multiple picks (and still had a high first rounder) as well as McCarthy and GWS got a higher draft pick and an academy player at a combination of lower draft picks.
At the time I thought it was worth more to GWS than Freo, and that they could have thrown in another second rounder. But then the points value would have meant that GWS was paying us to give us McCarthy. I can understand why they didn't do that.

We know have an athlete who doesn't read the game and a lazy forward who can't take a contested mark to save himself and was getting bronxed cheered whenever he touched it on the weekend.

This is just a stupid comment. You are not a Freo fan, are you? So Logue is an athlete who doesn't read the game. Is that set in stone?
McCarthy is a lazy forward who can't take a contested mark to save himself? The only thing that is true is that some Freagles gave him a Bronx cheer. They aren't supporters, that's for sure.

If we got Petrevski-Seton we would not have got Logue, McCarthy, Ryan or Hamling. As much as I like SPS, I think those 4 players are worth more. From what I was told at the time, the Freo recruiters told Sammo quite early that the club were going in another direction. He was also always keen to move to Melbourne. McCluggage had a great draft year, but wasn't so great before that and hasn't been that great this year. I'm happy to have Logue alone over him (at this stage).

You just sound like a pessimist.

Imagine a nice pizza. Let's say the seller wants $20 for it, but you're like WTF... nah man. The shop closes in 5 minutes and there's no one else here to buy the pizza... you may as well sell it. The seller says no.

You come back a day later and that exact same Pizza is still there. You go in and say 'dude... seriously take my $10... you won't find a better deal'. The seller is reluctant, but holds their ground and still insists on $20... but they offer some desserts and a 1.25L coke. After some haggling you also reduce the initial price and get the pizza for $15. You have the bonus desert and the 1.25L coke to complete the meal.

You remind me of the kind of stiff that would still rather buy a $20 pizza because you can't bring yourself to see a bargain when it smacks you in the face and would rather question the finer details, when it's obvious that a desert and drink completes the meal. Plus the pizza is still the bloody same.
Day old pizza. That would be nasty and not worth $20

Back