Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If Rayner slides to 5 do we grab him? Genuine question because a few have concerns about go home factor and attitude.
So if Brisbane and GC go others and North and Carlton go for other Vics, do we grab him at 5?

Say it before and Say it Again. Use pick 5 to get Naughton at Peel. Freo will always get a solid mid or 2 with their 3rd and 4th rounders
Rayner is all class will be no brainer if he slide to pick 5 and freo pass him and get Naughton

I know salim malik thinks we should pick up Naughton over Brander (and I respect the fact that he has watched him play), but Brander has been tracking as a very high pick for a few years now. He is a very good mark, not just a very good intercept mark, is very fast and is a very good height. The only knock on him as a key forward seems to be that his Allies coach played him back in the U18 championships.
Yes he is from the East, but he is from the Riverina. No AFL teams there to go home to. It's not like he is a Vic Metro kid.

Brander's playing 18's and Naughton's playing seniors both back and forward . Brander is going ok Naughton is starring and has no homesick problems. Geez who should we draft, tough question.:rolleyes:

Brander is going more than ok, hence why he's rated as a potential n1 pick.
He's also a tall key forward (can play back) and uses the football well. An area of need for us.

Nothing against Naughton who is also playing well, but is a backman.

Nothing against picking either, but Naughton is a stretch at 5 right now. Happy to downgrade and grab him at 10 or so seeming according to a lot of people we picked Logue too early and they seem to be similar position.

I know salim malik thinks we should pick up Naughton over Brander (and I respect the fact that he has watched him play), but Brander has been tracking as a very high pick for a few years now. He is a very good mark, not just a very good intercept mark, is very fast and is a very good height. The only knock on him as a key forward seems to be that his Allies coach played him back in the U18 championships.
Yes he is from the East, but he is from the Riverina. No AFL teams there to go home to. It's not like he is a Vic Metro kid.

Go home is always a factor, but Freo has excellent retention over a long period. Also just re-signed Langdon who a lot though would leave. May lose Tucker and Balic who knows.

The club needs to have a pretty clear response from him in any pre-draft interviews that if we select him, then he can see himself playing with us for the long term. If not, leave him alone. It is also in his interest if he does not see moving West as a long term thing for him.

Brander is going more than ok, hence why he's rated as a potential n1 pick.
He's also a tall key forward (can play back) and uses the football well. An area of need for us.

Nothing against Naughton who is also playing well, but is a backman.

Nothing against picking either, but Naughton is a stretch at 5 right now. Happy to downgrade and grab him at 10 or so seeming according to a lot of people we picked Logue too early and they seem to be similar position.

Naughton went forward and turned the game Sat . Won the game with a huge pack mark and goal.

Naughton went forward and turned the game Sat . Won the game with a huge pack mark and goal.
Lets see how he goes against subiaco and south freo , East freo and Perth hardly strong opposition .

Cool, sounds like a talent.
Still prefer Brander at this stage. Happy to change my mind though. See how they go at the draft combine.

Don't give a crap who we draft at 5 in the end, as long as they turn into a real solid player.

Go home is always a factor, but Freo has excellent retention over a long period. Also just re-signed Langdon who a lot though would leave. May lose Tucker and Balic who knows.
It is significantly different losing a top 5 draft pick though. Happened with Jeff White, although we were lucky enough that because Melbourne were rorting the salary payments to get him we ended up with a first round compensation pick as compensation.

Investing in a high draft pick who presents in any way as a likely early departure would be a disaster for us. I am not saying that Brander presents as such. But the club needs to know. I think Brander presents as the better potential forward than Naughton, but Naughton and another significant pick (or possibly McGovern) works just fine. We have options.

If Naughton was an East coaster doing what he is doing against men and not 18's as Brander is he would be the ants pants as far as the draft critics go. Naughton is also not only an intercept mark but also a great pack mark as he showed with the pack mark and goal to close out the Peel game. He is also quick,a great kick and a good height. I still can't follow the reasoning of taking an out of stater over the home grown product. It smells of the old Vic is best opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Naughton was an East coaster doing what he is doing against men and not 18's as Brander is he would be the ants pants as far as the draft critics go. Naughton is also not only an intercept mark but also a great pack mark as he showed with the pack mark and goal to close out the Peel game. He is also quick,a great kick and a good height. I still can't follow the reasoning of taking an out of stater over the home grown product. It smells of the old Vic is best opinion.

I'm with you.

You have 2 products, where in all seriousness their ability differential is arguable either side.

We're talking about 2 potential top 10 picks, not someone who is a screaming number 1 versus someone who is a questionable top 20. They're evening up as we round the bend and Naughton is coming harder then Winx when she missed the jump.

How they finish can't be measured until 10 years down the track, but my golly I'd rather be on the horse with all the momentum.

I
I'm with you.

You have 2 products, where in all seriousness their ability differential is arguable either side.

We're talking about 2 potential top 10 picks, not someone who is a screaming number 1 versus someone who is a questionable top 20. They're evening up as we round the bend and Naughton is coming harder then Winx when she missed the jump.

How they finish can't be measured until 10 years down the track, but my golly I'd rather be on the horse with all the momentum.

Its crazy that we passed on the McGoverns, JJ , Lobb ,Darling all local products and are now willing to sell the farm to get them back. Here we have a local product that will join that list if we don't take him.

I

Its crazy that we passed on the McGoverns, JJ , Lobb ,Darling all local products and are now willing to sell the farm to get them back. Here we have a local product that will join that list if we don't take him.

Yeah it is easy in hindsight and I'm sure there are many WA players we passed on that also didn't make it, but in this example it seems as safe and obvious a no brainer selection as one could imagine. If our direction is about WA players, then we should 'buy in' all the way.

The only small issue I have is I thought Naughton was touted as a selection around 20 and was therefore willing to trade down to around Adelaides first of 17ish is a bit of a 2 for 1 type deal. Now because Naughton is making so much noise it's becoming harder to hide his selection and he's becoming a top 10 pick to many.

Naughton's marking that impresses me isn't interception, its the contested marking with the subtle bodywork to move his full grown man opponent out of the way.

He can read the play, that's a perk. But his stability in the body on body contest, that strength and composure to one take clunk it while being pressured by a man working to move him aside is a real weapon.

The reason I'm less sold on Naughton at this stage is that I don't think he has been on the recruiter's radars for as long as Brander. Brander was being talked about as a number one pick when he was in the Giants Academy. He looks the goods, especially after he puts on a few kilos.
I guess we will see how fast the two players are after the Combine.

It's a bit unfair to keep carrying on about how Brander has only played in the underage competition while Naughton has played against men. That's the only opportunity available to him.

He is also not quite a Victorian.

But Naughton is certainly climbing up the draft lists. If he performs well in the finals, he may climb further.

The rebuild. The club has been rebuilding since their inception into the competition. We have only made one grand final and have nothing to show for it. Enough is enough get the immediate impact player and give the fans something to be excited about. We are the laughing stock of the competition. They won't get us to a grand final no but there would be hope. Seeing something quality rather than a lanky key tall that could fail as a long term prospect is another concern. Effort plays a part but skills and player ability at afl level for the depth players of the club is an absolute joke.
I am fairly sure this is not a rationale argument.

- You don't take a player just to "excite the fans" if there is a better one available. And I would also add that they don't have to have massive immediate impact to excite us anyway. Cox, Ryan, Darcy and Logue are not world beaters yet but they get me excited.
- Most teams go through being ****, they'll get over it soon enough don't worry. As a general rule, the rest of the world thinks about you a lot less than you do.
- Any player can fail, even one that "excites the fans" in their first year. How is rising star winner Rhys Palmer tracking these days?
- Good skills are essential, but if you don't give effort it won't matter. In fact, every premiership team ever would have been busting their *** because if you don't, you lose. Also note how much better our skills look when the effort is there? They are not detached - do you do anything better when only putting in a half assed effort? I know I don't.
- Player depth takes time to build. We turned over a large part of our list last year and will do so again this year and next. It's a rebuild and they take time. Panicking and worrying about next years performance will lead to mediocrity.

Brander or Naughton may well be a decision the recruiters are faced with and at the minute I'd go Naughton based on the one televised Peel game I've seen him play.Players with that sort of judgement are rare and have huge upsides.It's the beauty of his timing;whether it's going for a grab or out bodying an opponent he's flash.Sample size too small so really I have NFI.
Anyway if the recruiters have the choice they'll do whatever they do and my opinion won't influence anything.
I'm more interested in all the other horsetrading we will need to do to make the trade and drafting period similarly successful to last year.If we're to keep the rebuild momentum rolling along we'll need some seriously creative maneuvers to fill some other holes with quality rather than spakfilla.
No round 2 pick makes it even more challenging.Interesting and challenging period ahead.
Someone's gonna get really clever I hope.
Not against strengthening our position for next year's draft either if that possibility could be wangled.

Last edited:
Yeah it is easy in hindsight and I'm sure there are many WA players we passed on that also didn't make it, but in this example it seems as safe and obvious a no brainer selection as one could imagine. If our direction is about WA players, then we should 'buy in' all the way.

The only small issue I have is I thought Naughton was touted as a selection around 20 and was therefore willing to trade down to around Adelaides first of 17ish is a bit of a 2 for 1 type deal. Now because Naughton is making so much noise it's becoming harder to hide his selection and he's becoming a top 10 pick to many.
I think the fantasy is that Adelaide get a higher pick in the first round from whatever happens with Lever, and we end up with McGovern and pick 10ish. I would be worried about being gazumped if we had 17.

I think the fantasy is that Adelaide get a higher pick in the first round from whatever happens with Lever, and we end up with McGovern and pick 10ish. I would be worried about being gazumped if we had 17.

Literally just wrote out a hypothetical scenario in another thread which assumed Melbourne got Lever for pick 11.

Hence we slide from 5 to 11 in the deal involving McGovern. But more to it. I went a bit crazy in my thought process!

Back