Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of well rounded, skillful midfielders, able to kick both sides , distribute and good footy IQ.
Ideally able to take a few bashes too.
These players create play and scoring opportunities, as bodies matures and athleticism capacity develops.

Agree. Mids are the priority but all picks/trades won't be for mids

We could have up to 12 changes this year. If 6-8 of them are pure midfielders that's huge especially if one is Kelly. Changes our midfield instantly. That doesn't include the development of what we already have. Still room to fill other spots or for SOS to simply select the best player available

I just see another 12 talented kids being added to our list. If SOS has as much success as he has over past 2 years our list will look very very exciting

Probably not 6-8, more so about 3-5. Plus we already have a couple developing right now like SPS and Cuningham.
Once SOS is satisfied with what he has brought in then he will consider other needs like small running half-backs and at least one more KPF.

1. Trade for a star mid. If not...
2. Trade for a couple of promising young mids. And then...
3. Draft at least another two.

Takes us up to at least four. Ensure they have different strengths. We need another bulky one like SPP. Make sure some can push forward and attack. If we have a pure mid, make sure they have potential to be really smart and skillful with the ball. And ensure most have the endurance to run around the ground when needed.

Docherty and Charlie coming in to help will be a bonus if we too find anything extra during the off-season.

I'd look at Fogarty with pick 3 very good footballer, hopefully he's endurance will improve better than a 40 /60 midfielde time.
At 192 cm already we have another Cripps right there with perhaps better forward impact.
Combined they'd make an outrageous impact.

How many of those clubs will be entering a premiership window?

;)

Saints, Dogs, Hawks, Dees and Bombers. Then you will have north chucking ridiculous amounts of money at him making it hard to refuse.

Not only that but with all these clubs competing for him his salary could be pushed up to 1.5-1.7 million as he would be very in demand and not cost a pick.

If u dont mind the intrusion... i dont think your midfield is the problem ... more forward line. You need a forward line that can score and have high defensive pressure. Makes the midfield and defence look a million bucks when they can keep the ball in the fwd 50. If i was carton.. id be going fowards who can do the above.

It's also the key to disaster if you can't spot when your window has closed, or if you need to bring in new talent.

The Crows think they're the next big thing, whereas I think their structure ultimately fails against defensively committed sides. GWS is not such a side.

Losing Lever won't hurt this, but they still lack the small and medium defensive talent, and contested ball winners to really nail high-pressure football. Without those, they're just a highly disciplined and fit team that has some athleticism and firepower up forward.
Every team has weaknesses and they have the least ATM. Their entire midfield are contested players so they match anyone there

Jake Kelly will just take over Levers spot. He might even do it better than lever.
I agree, but it's the lack of a compliment to Laird, and that Seedsman features in their defence which is the cause for concern. Brodie Smith isn't much chop, so I don't think they'll miss him if they can develop someone.

If u dont mind the intrusion... i dont think your midfield is the problem ... more forward line. You need a forward line that can score and have high defensive pressure. Makes the midfield and defence look a million bucks when they can keep the ball in the fwd 50. If i was carton.. id be going fowards who can do the above.
I think long term, a lot of the pieces are already there. Wright, Fisher, LeBois, Polson and Pickett for the smalls rotation and depth, SOS is a good medium forward, and McKay & Charlie are the key pillars.

We need to continue drafting talent where available, particularly attacking talent with pace, but the priority for us on-going is that they can play through the midfield, and probably to pick up another tall forward in the 2018 or 2019 draft (likely Ben Silvagni).

Every team has weaknesses and they have the least ATM. Their entire midfield are contested players so they match anyone there
Strongly disagree: they have no answers against a quality extractor, and they can't create against a decent zone defence. We showed them up this season, and Geelong torched them.

Still one-trick ponies despite working harder on their structure.

I agree, but it's the lack of a compliment to Laird, and that Seedsman features in their defence which is the cause for concern. Brad Smith isn't much chop, so I don't think they'll miss him if they can develop someone.

I think long term, a lot of the pieces are already there. Wright, Fisher, LeBois, Polson and Pickett for the smalls rotation and depth, SOS is a good medium forward, and McKay & Charlie are the key pillars.

We need to continue drafting talent where available, particularly attacking talent with pace, but the priority for us on-going is that they can play through the midfield, and probably to pick up another tall forward in the 2018 or 2019 draft (likely Ben Silvagni).

Strongly disagree: they have no answers against a quality extractor, and they can't create against a decent zone defence. We showed them up this season, and Geelong torched them.

Still one-trick ponies despite working harder on their structure.
They have been shown to have less weaknesses as any other side hence why they finished top and smashed GWS last night. are they perfect? No. No team is perfect but they do more things better then any other side and have a lot less weaknesses then any other team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They have been shown to have less weaknesses as any other side hence why they finished top and smashed GWS last night. are they perfect? No. No team is perfect but they do more things better then any other side and have a lot less weaknesses then any other team
They have been shown to be more consistent and suffered less critical injuries; that doesn't speak for their peak output at all.

Consistently above average gets you in the finals, but it doesn't win you finals. That's where the solely relying on the player data in a moneyball approach can fail you.

They have been shown to be more consistent and suffered less critical injuries; that doesn't speak for their peak output at all.

Consistency above average gets you in the finals; it doesn't win you finals. That's where the solely relying on the player data in a moneyball approach can fail you.

They won last night without two all Australian's that's a couple of big injuries. They also have as many elite players as anyone I think you are just getting sucked into looking for high draft picks

My apologies, got my dates mixed up with Gibbs. For a deal to be done then Lever would need to be part of it.

I don't think Stringer will be traded anyway as I think they will want something of real benefit. Swap of picks 3 & 9 would get it done with maybe a swap of 2nd rounders thrown in which I doubt Carlton would agree to.

Pick 3 for Stringer!

rolling.gif

#Delusional

Yeah yeah, we've seen it in the media and heard it before. What those who aren't Carlton supporters don't know is that we have quite a few forward options (albeit who were recruited way too late) and it has taken some time to develop them.

The wider community are only just starting to see the skills of Charlie Curnow, and we have another big forward option in Harry McKay, and hopefully another medium sized forward in Patrick Kerr. Unfortunately all 3 of them have had injuries (the latter 2 in particular) and are only just coming into the picture.

Until then we have had to persevere with big Levi (who is much maligned) and there is a (justifiable) perception we don't have a functional forward line. Maybe we could do with a focus point like Stringer in the short term, but longer term we will be OK. There is no 'Quick Fix' for our forward line, we just need to get games into the young blokes we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back