Review Elimination Final vs WC - Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Went to the Show tonight, but Googled scores on my phone while out. Last score I saw was 3/4 time when WC was kept to a point. I thought Port would win from there. Got home with 3 minutes to go @ 60 points each.
3 minutes into extra time you're 2.1 ahead. Again, I thought you'd win. I was mystified by the decision on the Kennedy kick-off-the-ground goal. Looked like PA player had his hand on the ball to me. Not kicking in danger? Is it only "touched" if it's touched after the ball's kicked?
Apparently Dixon played a blinder but he had 2 chances to ice the game in extra time, and didn't. A couple of telling PA kicks late on the W wing went straight to WC defenders as well.

Here's the thing: Round 22 Sydney 13.5 beat Crows 11.14 = we lost from poor goalkicking. Many games are lost that way. It's bad football, as the saying goes.
I read every post in this thread until 0100, Sunday a.m.
You can go off at selection (eg omitting Trengove), Hinkley's Presser and Hinkley himself, the umpiring decision that gave Shuey the fateful kick etc but Hinkley's right. 10.16 to 12.6 is a loss from poor goalkicking. They kicked straighter. They won.
(tbh, no sympathy from me, in fact I'm happy you're out --- if it was us, you'd feel the same)

It's late and I haven't felt this devo since the 1987 finals exit. I won't mention that other abomination. That has no parallel.

Just a few random thoughts.

Jacko should have played. Early on we were at sixes and sevens and fell 5 goals behind because of the mismatches in our backline. Petrie hurt us with half a dozen early marks and Darling was a threat. We did sort that out when nerves settled and we put proper pressure on the ball carrier. But jeez Jacko would have been handy early down back and later in the ruck even up forward.

Marshall was thrown to the wolves. He did some good things that set up goals but didn't have the size and experience to unsettle the big bodied West Coast defenders. Too often he was left one out while Charlie provided a presence upfield.

The kids generally were good. Thought Clurey was terrific, a couple of Kennedy's goals were gifts.

Dixon was a monster. Yes he was inaccurate in the end but he was all that stood between us and capitulation early on. And he was massive all over the ground.

The umpires took at least a quarter to umpire the game like a final and umpire 17 must have thought a Port player bonked his missus.

That last free kick was as inevitable as death and taxes. And it did cost us the game and yes it does piss me off because I like winning finals.

Those last couple of minutes of extra time we played with no composure. Just needed to hold onto the ball and drag West Coast out of our f50 instead of going shelter skelter.

West Coast are a big strong experienced finals team and that counts for a lot. Something Port supporters should know well. We were so unsettled for a top 5 team with so many inexperienced youngsters.

It was the best final of week one but no consolation.

That's all I have. Disappointing to see dickheads dancing on our grave but picked off those where I could.

To the supporters with sincere good wishes thank you for your decency.

Given some that survived the cull I find your `picked off ' comment very interesting, there must have been some absolute shockers!

The most disappointing thing is that we lost the game in exactly the same style as we lost earlier in the year against the same opponent at the same venue. Gave away a start, fought back hard to end up controlling the game for the most part, couldn't score despite our dominance, go down narrowly.

We had so many chances to win the game. So many little moments that could have gone our way that didn't. But West Coast could probably have said that too had they lost, it was just that sort of game. To go two goals up late in regulation time and then again in extra time, only to quickly surrender those leads, stings badly. In the end I get the feeling that the vast experience gap between the two teams told the story. The whole thing just sucks.

I thought our young defence battled manfully all night. Howard, Bonner, DBJ, Clurey, Houston. The future is very bright with this lot.

Our midfield was beaten, not by much but it was still surprising given we had expected to dominate this area. Ryder was good in the ruck but useless around the ground. Played meek, apologetic football at times. Wines tried to lift us. SPP was very good, especially early when we really needed to turn things around. Everyone else in the midfield rotation was below par.

Forward line was a shambles. Marshall did some good things but was monstered. The Trengove v Marshall question will linger for as long as we all care to remember this game for. Neade was outstanding. Wingard was poor. Dixon was a one man band. He was just inspiring. Had he kicked that goal at the end and won us the game, it would have gone down as the single greatest performance by a Port Adelaide player in our AFL history. Alas, it was all for nothing.

When all is said and done, this defeat shouldn't hurt as much as 2014 did. The manner of the defeat is truly galling but taking a step back, we were never in the premiership race this year and tonight just proved that further (unlike in 2014 where we were as good as any team in it and that 3 point margin may have cost us a flag). We'll get over this. Hopefully it makes us a better team.

If you look closely enough there are some serious positives to take out of the season, mostly in terms of the green shoots appearing in the form of some younger players and generational change that has all happened really very quickly over the last month of the season. If you'd told me in March that we'd be playing a final with virtually nobody on the injury list and our team would feature Howard, Houston, Bonner, Marshall and SPP, I would have said you were mad. It means nothing now but come the start of next season our team will have a whole new look to it. And after three years of mediocrity, we sure as hell need some new things to look at.

Forward line was a shambles. Marshall did some good things but was monstered. The Trengove v Marshall question will linger for as long as we all care to remember this game for. ....

No it shouldn't. The question that should linger is Marshall + Trengove vs Marshall + Impey selection.

Those last couple of minutes of extra time we played with no composure. Just needed to hold onto the ball and drag West Coast out of our f50 instead of going shelter skelter.

Completely agree, it was like they didn't realise how much time was left on the clock. They should have played like they were in the 30th minute of the 4th quarter.

What was the free paid for that got wce the ball in the first place. A minute to go, ball up on our half forward line. Bizarre call from nowhere..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope Port complain to the AFL and it causes a shit storm in the media. Get that garbage out of the game, it's been happening for years, only this time it didn't cost a team 4 points, it knocked them out of the finals! Stand up and actually do something AFL. You said you'd fine stagers, yet no fines, you said you'd stop rewarding duckers, yet Selwood and Shuey still get unlimited frees.

Also Todd Marshall looked alright.

I would love to look the stats of these periods separatedly, but I only have the scores. The regulation could be divided into three parts:

A)
1' into Q2, and the score is
WC 5.2:32
POR 1.0:6

C)
From 13'Q4 to the end of regulation:
WC 2.0:12
POR 0.2:2

Now, let's just sink this in. Those are basically the first 30' and the last 20' of the regulation. Sandwiched between parts A and C, there was 1h10' of football that makes for the second part:

B)
POR 7.10:52
WC 2.4:16

Just look at that score!

Now, from what I see, we failed to win tonight because: (a) it took over a full quarter for us starting to actually play; (b) we melted at the end, not knowing what to do when ahead on the score; and (c) we couldn't kick for goals.

This is lack of leadership and lack of experience from both players and coaches. We were naïve. We choked when the game mattered the most. Now, who and why, I cannot answer. But the club has serious issues to solve in this offseason.

McGoven 15 marks - 5 contested and 12 1%ers I reckon 1 was a smother so 11 spoils 25 disposals and BOG.

My worst nightmare that I have dreaded all week. what a great ****ing selection that was to put Impey on McGoven.

Last edited:
McGovern was Marshalls man - he essentially won it for them. I liked Marshalls game, but it's probably possible we win with Trengove on him.

I'm sure Trengove would've shut him out like he shut out Alex Rance and Jake Carlisle. At least Marshall offered some goal assists and tackling pressure.

View attachment 414108
Literally the only positive from tonight is that i forgot I made this bet a week ago

I cashed the ****ing thing out. Most annoying thing is that he hadn't made 30 disposals before extra time.

Last edited:
Hope Port complain to the AFL and it causes a shit storm in the media. Get that garbage out of the game, it's been happening for years, only this time it didn't cost a team 4 points, it knocked them out of the finals! Stand up and actually do something AFL. You said you'd fine stagers, yet no fines, you said you'd stop rewarding duckers, yet Selwood and Shuey still get unlimited frees.

Also Todd Marshall looked alright.
There were a couple that could have gone against you that didnt.

I know many liked Impey's SANFL performances but I saw the same shit he did there that he did today.

He should not be playing AFL without any polish.

Johnson or Ah Chee's possessions are worth a lot more. I mean even Neade has realised that this year and made the finals side by cutting his hack possessions by a significant amount.

He has youth on his side but he has now become the whipping boy target. Physically, one of the finest physical specimen in the league, no one has his speed and strength.

But we cannot play him at AFL level until he becomes reliable in those situations. Gifting him games and hoping he'd break out is not working. Zero progression in skills since we drafted him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back