Review Elimination Final vs WC - Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Just going back to selections, when the average punters on FigBooty have better selection nous than the coaches, there's a clear problem. While yes, Impey replacing Johnson was fine in isolation and no one could have predicted Impey would save his career worst game for a final, the philosophy to go in short ruined us.

I don't need hindsight, most on here called for Trengove to come in and it would have given us the best chance of winning. Mosquito fleets don't win finals.

One thing that cannot be labelled against us is that we are heartless. The guys played with passion and intensity all night, and never gave in.

However several other criticisms come to mind!

Lack of composure, even when often in the clear and not under any pressure whatsoever.

Deer in headlights syndrome - we just freeze when we play big games, finals, and quality oppo. Play against minnows and we play like a German band. Play a good side, even when they don't bring their 'A' game, and we are afraid to play freely, tense up, make silly mistakes, and it all compounds like an ever decreasing spiral until we implode.

Lack of skill execution - they keep telling us they work incessantly on it. I call bullshit! Other sides have displayed clear improvement in skills over time. We are worse than we ever have been in my memory. Get 10 skills coaches in over summer and each has 5 players to mentor with sessions every day on basic marking, kicking, handballing, picking the ball off the turf one grab without fumbling, tackling to pin the bloody arms not around the waist so they get handballs away, etc etc etc.

Mental frailty - our leaders went missing again. The kids were not the reason we lost. Either the experienced heads fumbled, or coughed up the ball, or failed to chase, or didn't man up. We get spooked big time, and our leaders don't actually lead. Tell me one of Wines, Boak, Chad, Hoff, Robbie, Hammer, Jasper, Ebo who was worth their place out there? Maybe Ollie cos he kicked two ripper goals, but other than that..................................... ** crickets **. Not acceptable.

How you change mindset and inner demons is something only an expert would know how to do. But it may be an unfixable issue with some of these older blokes.

On the positive side - the defence looked like it could be swamped early, but they fought back well after quarter time. Clurey did a great job on Kennedy. Dougal lifted after Petrie schooled him in the first quarter, and got better the longer the game went. Bonner started to run off half back. DBJ had a good last half and extra time. Huston kept Lecras scoreless. Marshall doesn't get many touches, but those he gets count. I see these guys being big time players who lift in the moment, and that we can build a side around.
Sam Gray tried his best as usual, Polec lifted mid way through the second quarter, Ryder amazingly beaten by Vardy/Petrie but put in as usual. And the big Chuck Wagon - BOG in my opinion. Kept us in it early, missed two he should have nailed (story of the night), but rag dolled a few blokes and was inspirational.

The culture of no accountability/no blame/all is fine with the officiating/we admire other clubs, etc from Ken is "OUT THE DOOR" forever. We are Port Adelaide. We don't give a flying f*** whether people like us or not.

We exist to succeed, not to make up the numbers and be a step ladder to others' success
. We are ruthless and will do anything (not doping) to be the best.

This club had better get tough, and make every individual accountable for elite performance and a winning culture, as opposed to a losing mentality and sub par performances, or we will continue to be trampled over, and suffer endless heartbreak (ala Richmond for the best part of 30 years).

Aand I haven't got 30 years left in my time on this rock to wait for that. So Pull the f****ing finger out Port and get serious with those who aren't prepared to do whatever it takes or who can't handle the pressure nor the glare of expectation.

The crowd was amazing last night. Best atmosphere I have ever heard. The players should have been inspired to achieve greatness, not the mediocrity that they dished out in spades. The supporters were fantastic. I was so energised and inspired to be amongst them all. They deserved better than that drivel served up which was paraded as supposedly elite football.

The club has to make hard calls - on players and coaches and support staff.
It starts today.
Not tomorrow.
Or next week.
Or December.
IT STARTS RIGHT BLOODY NOW.

Quoting this because a like isn't enough.

Dixon is the MAN, regardless of the points he kicked.
We needed a second ruckman/key position player. Swing man.....Westhoff, is not the answer.

Back line did OK, but needed Jonas. Plus the mid field to stop the opposition pumping it forward early in the game.

Regardless of mistakes, fumbles & unforced errors, McGovern beat us......

Skills coach, to teach kicking skills.
REPEAT...

So proud of our boys last night
I know we didn't get the result but they really tried their hardest and will be so much better for the experience.
Hope they enjoy their break from footy and come back ready for the best pre-season ever
images.jpg

Two things cost us this game

Too much youth and inexperience particularly in the backline in the 1st quarter

Allowing McGovern to take 15 intercept marks

Can I say..Trengove either forward or back would have solved this

Just going back to selections, when the average punters on FigBooty have better selection nous than the coaches, there's a clear problem. While yes, Impey replacing Johnson was fine in isolation and no one could have predicted Impey would save his career worst game for a final, the philosophy to go in short ruined us.

I don't need hindsight, most on here called for Trengove to come in and it would have given us the best chance of winning. Mosquito fleets don't win finals.

No one could have predicted Impey would be useless? Carn, it was bloody obvious, he has been useless all year, played mediocre football for the Magpies, gets brought back in for some unknown reason. He is fast, and that is his one and only positive to his entire game. He can't kick, he doesn't find enough of the ball. At this stage I couldn't care if he never plays a game for us again.

Last edited:
Impey was brought in to cover the 5 midget forwards or the 8 half back flankers we choose.
Makes complete sense!
Having something different would throw it completely out of whack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. The 84 point loss to Adelaide is the true indicator where we are at. Playing youth late was too late. I expect no changes over season change over. Our club has soft leaders. On and off field.
Agree. Coach bereft, captain invisible when it matters. The gap between his good and average performances are now too big. Trade for anything while has currency

You can go off at selection (eg omitting Trengove), Hinkley's Presser and Hinkley himself, the umpiring decision that gave Shuey the fateful kick etc but Hinkley's right. 10.16 to 12.6 is a loss from poor goalkicking. They kicked straighter. They won.
(tbh, no sympathy from me, in fact I'm happy you're out --- if it was us, you'd feel the same)
If only there was a thing called a coach that was responsible for teaching the team how to kick for goal.

TL:DW

Koch read the end of 2016 have a good hard think or ask to be traded speech. Yeah right mate. Groundhog day

Then he blamed the players.

Then he backed the coach

Summary: club needs a broom to go through it. We are stuck with Ken.

No memberships from this household in 2018

I know it is an appalling speech. Koch doesn't have football nous. It should have been KT. I don't have faith in Koch nor Ken. I am hoping that KT can step aside from emotion and make the right decisions. He's CEO and his job is to get people to games and that means deciding on the right resources in the football department. I have been wondering if KT is beginning to suffer burnout.

SO missed the game due to a wedding and was on media blackout. Drove home ignoring the 7 messages on my phone, no idea what happened in the game and feeling sick seeing that there were messages. Returned home and turns out wifey had some friends over so couldn't start watching recording on iQ until nearly 1am.

Get to ET and glad that I selected extra recording on the iQ. **** ME DRUNK the recording ended with Shuey lining up and striking the ball. recording ended without seeing where the ball went and had to look at my phone to see the result anyway.

Devastated.
Your iQ box took one for the team.

No one could have predicted Impey would be useless? Carn, it was bloody obvious, he has been useless all year, played mediocre football for the Magpies, gets brought back in for some unknown reason. He is fast, and that is his one and only positive to his entire. He can't kick, he doesn't find enough of the ball. At this stage I couldn't care if he never plays a game for us again.

I wasn't calling for Impey to be selected and I posted a few times his SANFL performance wasn't good enough for AFL selection. I would have replaced Johnson with Trengove and gone taller.

Still, even Impey's mediocre AFL form was better than what Johnson had produced to date. Problem is, Impey's game last night was putrid and far, far below his regular AFL output. It was so bad it was quite possibly the worst performance of any Port player across the year. That's what I mean by no one could have predicted how bad Impey would be.

Last edited:
Ryder was a complete and utter joke last night. I don't care what he has been through, if you're not going to give 100% in a final, **** off elsewhere. All Australian my ass. I would've preferred to ruck Trengove all game and not even play Ryder if he was going to dish that shit up.

The pathetic lack of effort was one thing, but the sooking and crying at the umpires for a rule that has been in place all year, get out you child. The game was in the balance and he was chucking a tantrum. It wasn't a once off, it lasted for majority of the game.

On top of that, he played against the worst ruck brigade in the comp, Petrie and Vardy, and got absolutely destroyed. They aren't even considered #1 rucks, just 3rd and 4th stringers due to Nic Nat and Lycett being out. Absolutely disgraceful, not sure I can forgive him for that garbage.

If he plays even an average game we win easy.

Out marked by Cripps from behind when he was in prime position, **** off. That was the last straw in a horrendous night for him. The numerous pathetic spoil and mark attempts against Vardy and Petrie cost us multiple goals.

I am absolutely scathing at his effort and maturity. He should be utterly ashamed with himself this morning. God even Impey played better than him.

7 disposals and 0 marks for a game that went into extra time....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back