Opinion 2017 Draft Discussion - Pick 3 - Poll added

Who we are likely to take at Pick 3 .......

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

For those who have been following this thread for a while will have noticed Arr0w, Jimmae & myself often referring to players that will available later in the draft that may not be all that familiar to you. I decided to ask one of BigFooty's draft legends, Bishop, about a couple of those kids in Roughsedge & McPherson.

I should point out that I have no inside knowledge within the club as to who we're linked to, but it is interesting to note that Bishop believes we're interested in Stoddart with Pick 38 and he is not the first person I've heard that from.

Questions on a couple of kids that will go later in the draft for you Bishop:

Jack Roughsedge - been impressed with return given he wasn't expected to play any footy at all this year. Obviously still has plenty of work to do on his fitness, but do you see him getting picked up towards the back end of the draft??? What do you see as his strengths & weaknesses???

Andrew McPherson - probably one of the forgotten kids after missing the U18 Carnival with a quad. I like his speed, discipline and ball use. Do you see him as being a good fit for the Blues and where do you think he'll go.???
I was a big fan of Roughsedge in 2015 & 2016 - I would've drafted him last year, but due to knee injury there was no way someone would take him in the draft & then for him not to play all season. Has recovered quicker than many at the Chargers expected. I reckon he's a good rookie option. He is a good ball winner and wins the contested football in the midfield. Disposal is pretty good. The injuries will be the big question mark - but I think he's over them at the moment.

McPherson I've been a big fan of since last year. I think it was the SA v WA game at Football Park which really caught my eye. Had him in the mix as a first rounder earlier in the year, but his constant injuries probably means he slips closer to a 3rd rounder. Good ball user, makes good decisions. Hard to judge him off limited viewing this year too - but I like what he brings. Can play anywhere from small defender to inside midfielder. Know Blues are keen on adding another HBF - but think it's more in a sense wanting a LF running defender in a Kade Simpson mould. They've got Pick 37, ideally they'd like Stoddart to be there - but gut feel is he's gone by then. McPherson would be a decent addition - as would Adam Saad if they went down that route in the terms of trade.
If you'd like to find out more here's the link: Bishop's 2017 Draft Thread. It's a good read.

For those who have been following this thread for a while will have noticed Arr0w, Jimmae & myself often referring to players that will available later in the draft that may not be all that familiar to you. I decided to ask one of BigFooty's draft legends, Bishop, about a couple of those kids in Roughsedge & McPherson.

I should point out that I have no inside knowledge within the club as to who we're linked to, but it is interesting to note that Bishop believes we're interested in Stoddart with Pick 38 and he is not the first person I've heard that from.

If you'd like to find out more here's the link: Bishop's 2017 Draft Thread. It's a good read.

I like Stoddart, able to play multiple roles, has good speed and a very effective left foot (Another SOS draft candidate?)

Played as a midfielder in his junior days for Blackburn, I would be happy if he lasted to our 3rd round pick

Just listened to a good interview from Darcy Fogarty, where he speaks passionately about representing his home town after all the hard work they put in to get him into the SA footy system.

I don't think Fogarty's trying to slide to an SA club, in fact his home town is 50 km from the border! He's back in the mix if he does some late testing, and there's evidence of a decent tank on him in junior tapes.

TSG, Arrow, Jimmae, what are your thoughts on Bailey Morrish from Dandy? I quite liked the look of him last year and took him as a late pick(about 80) for the Cats in our Phantom last year.

Thought he played well again in the semi this year against Eastern and OK'ish in the Prelim.
He's just not quite got the work rate to earn enough footy, and I reckon his kicking action breaks down under pressure.

I think he wants to be a running type, but he's probably go to put some weight on and market himself as the interceptor player. That said, he's more of a rookie chance than last year. That his appearances for Willy barely rate a mention isn't good for him.

Thanks TSG, you're a legend, I've enjoyed going searching for clips of the boys you've mentioned along the way (you too Arrow) and also enjoy Bishop's thread and Quigleys last year (more so than Knightmare).

Really keen on Roughsedge, would be dirty if we skipped him hoping for the rookie list and someone else snagged him late.

Now that the games are all over my Wishlist is:
R1: Rayner - but really no issue who we go if he's gone
R3: Stoddart, Bailey, D Moore, Spargo, Ross or your man McPherson (when you actually sit down and have a look there are plenty of likely types available)
R4: Roughsedge

Just listened to a good interview from Darcy Fogarty, where he speaks passionately about representing his home town after all the hard work they put in to get him into the SA footy system.

I don't think Fogarty's trying to slide to an SA club, in fact his home town is 50 km from the border! He's back in the mix if he does some late testing, and there's evidence of a decent tank on him in junior tapes.

Out of all the players available from an AFL list or from the junior ranks, etc, Darcy Fogarty is still top priority on my wish list, that and keeping next year's first round pick intact. That's why I wouldn't mind downgrading pick 3, because he might be still available. It probably won't happen because we'll most likely be chasing someone with unambiguous midfield credentials.

Out of all the players available from an AFL list or from the junior ranks, etc, Darcy Fogarty is still top priority on my wish list, that and keeping next year's first round pick intact. That's why I wouldn't mind downgrading pick 3, because he might be still available. It probably won't happen because we'll most likely be chasing someone with unambiguous midfield credentials.
I don't think Freo will be gun shy about picking him at 5; they practically invented that type of selection.

Look, in theory you're right, but that's like saying let's not try to pair Judd with Fyfe and Josh Kennedy.
Sydney and Mitchell is what scares me.

Literally the only player who excites me is Rayner so I'm still hoping for him. If we can rotate Cripps, Kennedy and Rayner through the midfield forward role I think that'll be perfect. Say Cripps and Kennedy 80-20 (mid-fwd) and Rayner giving them that chop out playing 40/60

Actually, i just went back to the podcast to make sure and his actual words were "Cam and Luke both know they'll probably end up at either Bris or GC, so they understand that. The other one maybe is Paddy Dow who i don't manage".

He does manage Rayner, LDU and Cerra. Not Dow.

So he is under the impression that Rayner and LDU will go 1 and 2 with maybe Dow a chance.

So maybe for us it is looking like probably no Rayner or LDU. Still early though i guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually, i just went back to the podcast to make sure and his actual words were "Cam and Luke both know they'll probably end up at either Bris or GC, so they understand that. The other one maybe is Paddy Dow who i don't manage".

He does manage Rayner, LDU and Cerra. Not Dow.

So he is under the impression that Rayner and LDU will go 1 and 2 with maybe Dow a chance.

So maybe for us it is looking like probably no Rayner or LDU. Still early though i guess.

What can you tell us about Dow ?
Which current player does he remind you of or project to be ?
If Rayner looks like being gone and the acquisition of Kennedy lessening the need for LDU , perhaps a downgrade to facilitate other possibilities might be on the cards ?

What can you tell us about Dow ?
Which current player does he remind you of or project to be ?
If Rayner looks like being gone and the acquisition of Kennedy lessening the need for LDU , perhaps a downgrade to facilitate other possibilities might be on the cards ?

Well, personally, no way would i downgrade 3.

On comparison to Dow, i dunno, these are hard. He is a busy, natural player with great dash. Maybe Jack Steven with a better overhead mark and better goalkicker. Maybe Steven around the ball with Parker overhead and goalkicker.

Well, personally, no way would i downgrade 3.

On comparison to Dow, i dunno, these are hard. He is a busy, natural player with great dash. Maybe Jack Steven with a better overhead mark and better goalkicker.

Are you saying Dow has a beer gut ? :eek:
Na seriously , Steven is a pretty good player , the SOB has carved us up more than once .

Thats if we trade trade pick 3

If we go in woth pick 3 and Raynor and LDU or gone, who did you think SOS and co will select ? Dow would be my pick but reckon it will be a selection to compliment Cripps, Kennedy and Curnow

Not sold at all on Fogarty.

Don't buy injury as only reason for form

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I still rate LDU number 1. Rayner at 2 and Dow at 3 then Cerra Stephenson Coffield. Be happy with any of them but want LDU

With 7 & 8 we would get 2 of Stephenson Coffield Clark Higgins Brander

I still rate LDU number 1. Rayner at 2 and Dow at 3 then Cerra Stephenson Coffield. Be happy with any of them but want LDU

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

LDU is mates with Weiterbot. Both from the Peninsula. According to LDU, Weiterbot has been mentoring him this year which has really helped him.

Back