Prediction Assistant coaching changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Jenkins to remain soft forever

Especially if Teague couldn’t drum it out of him, one of the toughest players you’d see on a footy field.

He didn't want to leave his kids, which is fair enough.

Also wouldn’t be on a particularly large wage either as a first year assistant, with a young family, mouths to feed, school bills etc and moving not cheap, very much the right idea. Needs to build up his rep at Port for a few years, then look for some of the larger offers to come.

Pods on 5AA today. Not any huge revelations, decided he didn't want to spend the rest of his career as an AFL coach, so moved on to work on his business stuff. Was offered a "consultancy" role by Burton, but wanted a clean break completely from football.

Especially if Teague couldn’t drum it out of him, one of the toughest players you’d see on a footy field.

Also wouldn’t be on a particularly large wage either as a first year assistant, with a young family, mouths to feed, school bills etc and moving not cheap, very much the right idea. Needs to build up his rep at Port for a few years, then look for some of the larger offers to come.
Surely no footballer that's played at the level that Thompson has, has any sort of money issues.

Highly doubt money had anything to do with it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely no footballer that's played at the level that Thompson has, has any sort of money issues.

Highly doubt money had anything to do with it
Divorces can be expensive!

I'm not trying to troll nor suggest Reilly isn't the best candidate for the job, but Adelaide appear to have a tendency to hire their own people in key roles.

Not even with assistant coaches, it extends to the executive team with Nigel Smart as COO and Brett Burton is the footy operations boss.

Again, not suggesting they aren't good at their jobs or the best ones for them. Just wondering if the board tends to lean towards hiring people they might be emotionally attached to.

I'm not trying to troll nor suggest Reilly isn't the best candidate for the job, but Adelaide appear to have a tendency to hire their own people in key roles.

Not even with assistant coaches, it extends to the executive team with Nigel Smart as COO and Brett Burton is the footy operations boss.

Again, not suggesting they aren't good at their jobs or the best ones for them. Just wondering if the board tends to lean towards hiring people they might be emotionally attached to.

Nah, that's a fair assessment. It just reeks of yet another low effort appointment, couldn't be bothered to search - just recruit someone convenient who wouldn't say no.

They do struggle to get people to move to Adelaide, that I do know. We had to offer Ryan O'Keefe a truckload of cash to get him to move and with a tax on footy department spending it's not like we can do that with every coach we hire.

Why we wouldn't go and try and hire someone like Marty Mattner instead of Ben Hart I'll never know, but the SANFL would have carried on like a bunch of pork chops if we did.

They do struggle to get people to move to Adelaide, that I do know. We had to offer Ryan O'Keefe a truckload of cash to get him to move and with a tax on footy department spending it's not like we can do that with every coach we hire.

Why we wouldn't go and try and hire someone like Marty Mattner instead of Ben Hart I'll never know, but the SANFL would have carried on like a bunch of pork chops if we did.

I think the SANFL rules that were put in place regarding us joining the SANFL stipulated that we are not allowed to "poach" SANFL coaches. As much as Mattner might have been an interest, the SANFL has to agree to it and you betcha that wasn't going to happen.

We hadn't noticed

They have more coaches from outside the Club than from within,
Pyke, Campo, Francou, then their development coaches in O,Keefe, Younie, Thomas, Kaesler, Stewart are from outside the club.
When compared to the homegrown in Hart, Clark, and Reilly. That's 30% on par with most clubs less than others.
Even the 3 coaches that moved on you had Teague, Pods and VB only VB could really be called own people.

In management, they have Smart and Burton, But they have Fagan, Flett, Harper, Ballestien, Dunstan. In the High Performance teams and Recruitment teams there are no ex Crows players,
There are a lot of clubs with more ex-personal working for then the Crows.
Even the board has only 2 ex players out of 9

Its more a perception than reality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back