Prediction The Evolution of Your Best 22 for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Obvious deletion from 2017 1st EF side (Eagles) - Impey. Probable deletions from that side - Marshall & Amon. Possible deletions from that side - Neade, Bonner, Howard & Jasper (I stress possible)

Obvious inclusions to that side - Rockcliff, Watts & Motlop. Probable inclusions to that side - Thomas & Jonas. Possible inclusions to that side - Trengove, Hombsch & Frampton (if Billy is fit & ready to go the game against the Dockers would be perfect for him to debut - we got to blood sooner or later)

Players not mentioned as inclusions but still could be in the frame - Broadbent, Atley & Lienert. Perhaps one or two of our 2017 draftees could be considered, eg Barry or Garner as both seem ready to go.

Interesting times ahead!

I see Thomas as a possible. If he plays that gutless ducking style in trial matches I would bench him in the reserves.

My initial thoughts on a first 22 in round 1:

B: DBJ -- Clurey -- Jonas
HB: Hartlett -- Howard -- Pittard
C: Motlop -- Wines -- Polec
HF: Boak -- Watts -- Westhoff
F: Wingard -- Dixon -- R. Gray
R: Ryder -- Rockliff -- SPP
Int: Ebert -- Houston -- Bonner -- Thomas

Emergency: S. Gray, Frampton, McKenzie

- On the cusp: Amon, Marshall and Hombsch.
- At risk: any HBF who f**ks up. I'm looking at you Hamish and Jasper.
- 1st & 2nd year players not already mentioned who I think are a decent chance of playing AFL next year: Atley, Barry (dat speed), and Patmore.

This is an impressive line up.....and could win a flag if it clicks

Selection is going to be bloody difficult in 2018 if a lot of the guys are motivated and playing well.
Gold passes will still carry value in 2018.

Geez, they had better not. One bad game, maybe ok, two bad games back to Magpies. And that should apply to all players.
Coaches can't help themselves. They have favourite players, they have players they trust more than others, they have players they will give every chance to get themselves right and back into form for longer than others.

Hinkley has provided he is nothing special, or different to all other coaches who have coached footy at top level.

An atmosphere where every player feels like they're one game away from being dropped destroys confidence

It's about finding that balance between unlimited gold passes and everyone I edge about being 1/2 games away from the magpies

'Scuse the ignorance, but which players get gold passes?
Seems to me that what's going to have the most influence is pre-season form.
Older players who are allowed to play 4, 5 or 6 average to poor games before they find form, who don't get the chop whereas the younger blokes get it after 1 or 2 poor games and they rotated the same players. If they do drop the older player, it's one game in the SANFL nothing special there and straight back in. The skipper has been average for a lot of the last 2 seasons in the big moments of the big games when we have needed leadership to get us over the line..

FF R Gray, Watts, Wingard
HF Motlop, Dixon, Boak
C Polec, Wines, Ebert
HB Hartlett, Howard, Jonas
FB Byrne-Jones, Clurey, Houston

RUCK
Ryder
Rockliff
Powell-Pepper

INT Westhoff, Pittard, Bonner, S Gray

EMERG Frampton, Marshall

Just thought I'd take a quick look at this thread, as I was curious with all your recruitment's this off-season how your Best 22 may shape.

I must say I'd be excited as a Port fan going into next season, what a group of players to add to the list: Rockliff, Motlop, Watts. Then you have blokes like Trengrove, McKenzie, Thomas added and probably on peanuts; will most likely add depth and each of those latter players have good upside.

I thought you did well to get rid of J Trengrove, considering the mega bucks he was on; his salary was too much for a shutdown-defender.

You also selected very wise at the Draft to bring in Patmore and Garner with such late picks; very good selections indeed. Hayes is probably more long-term, Farrell looks pretty gifted athletically, but no idea on Barry, but for all I know he could be another best 22 contender.

People were saying the Cats did the best at the Draft, but you guys did very well with such late picks IMO.

My only query is, how do you rate your Key Defenders? I don't know much about them... Is that your Achilles Heal?

Also, which players are the most critical if injured? I was thinking Dixon is probably only one that can't be covered, he was brilliant in that last final this year.

I'll be putting some money on you guys for the flag next year, no excuses for Ken H; you should be Top 4, minimum.

I've already got money on you guys and the Cats, both at 13-1 for the Flag. Both seem like solid bets, and will add positions if there is some early season losses and Odds blow out.

My only query is, how do you rate your Key Defenders? I don't know much about them... Is that your Achilles Heal?
Jonas, Clurey, Howard and Hombsch are all AFL standard key defenders IMO. If 2 of those guys get injured we might be in trouble.

Lienert and McKenzie I wouldn't really call key defenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That magpies side could probably win matches in the AFL next year
Na we'd love to think it but Na, the gap between the bottom of a list and the AFL teams is a pretty big gap. Plus the Magpies in 2018 will clearly be weaker than 2017s version. In fact the Magpies may well have one of the weakest forward lines we've ever fielded at SANFL level, ever.

Na we'd love to think it but Na, the gap between the bottom of a list and the AFL teams is a pretty big gap. Plus the Magpies in 2018 will clearly be weaker than 2017s version. In fact the Magpies may well have one of the weakest forward lines we've ever fielded at SANFL level, ever.

With Thomas, Neade, and Marshall, it does not look HALF as bad as I feared. But the good news is that the Magpies do not need to win any AFL match, but only SANFL's.

With Thomas, Neade, and Marshall, it does not look HALF as bad as I feared. But the good news is that the Magpies do not need to win any AFL match, but only SANFL's.

Agreed. Thomas should kick plenty and we should see some natural improvement from Marshall. Frampton resting there could also do some damage.

I'm not sure why some posters appear to be writing off Jack Hombsch, if his hip surgery was successful he is still best 22 all day, every day!
I think people are forgetting how good he actually is when fit. I still have him as our best defender when 100%.

If all four are fit, one of Clurey, Jonas, Howard and Hombsch is gonna be very unlucky. Unless we go back to the 2013-2014 model and play all four (Clurey replacing Carlile and Doogs replacing Trengove).

With the current lovefest for small forward lines, I can't see that happening again.

If all four are fit, one of Clurey, Jonas, Howard and Hombsch is gonna be very unlucky. Unless we go back to the 2013-2014 model and play all four (Clurey replacing Carlile and Doogs replacing Trengove).
For a defense we need two genuine KPD's, plus 0, 1 or 2 others that aren't 'smalls' based on match-ups. By that measure Clurey and Howard, although they may not be the best of the 4, are the best for the team (we aren't picking a best 22 AA side and jamming into positions). I still don't trust Ken not to drop Clurey or Howard for Hombsch, but for best 22 those 2, with Jonas would be my three talls, unless we're playing a side that overloads the forward line with 3 KPF's, plus a resting ruck.

I think we can probably run with all 4 in the team. Clurey, Hombsch and Howard are all very mobile and Howard is versatile enough to be swung up forward or into the ruck if match ups don't suit. If Hombsch were fully fit and firing, I couldn't fathom the thought of one of those guys playing SANFL.

This year showed that Clurey, Jonas and Houston formed a formidable defensive unit. Hombsch is our best defender when in form and Howard is too promising and versatile to leave out.

Next year a 7 man defence is going to be applied again and I think we have the cattle to really be effective.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back