Dalrymple leaves the Kennel

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder who the other one will be?

The guy f73 is referring to is at Essendon, and from my occasional dealings with him occasionally lets slip real info, other times crap or stuff that is already public knowledge. He may have known about Dalrymple, or maybe not - just as likely his second one is retrospective and referring to someone like Stringbean.
F73???

The guy f73 is referring to is at Essendon, and from my occasional dealings with him occasionally lets slip real info, other times crap or stuff that is already public knowledge. He may have known about Dalrymple, or maybe not - just as likely his second one is retrospective and referring to someone like Stringbean.
F73???

Thanks

Are they contracted? Can we afford to move them on? Maybe he has control over these guys and doesn’t want to bring someone in he doesn’t have control of?

I really don’t know but something doesn’t add up in the WHOLE club since the Premiership.

Either they al think they are breed than they are or actually have no idea how to get back to where they were and aren’t realyaire how they got there.
But if we’re bringing someone else in they’d meet with Bevo first and hash it all out. Still doesn’t explain our coaching merry go round last year.

Most of us wanted coaching changes this year and we got nothing.

There isn't a recruiter in the league (who's been around a while) who brings in more successes than failures.

Including rookie list, across 10 years you're gonna be recruiting 80 odd players - into the (typical) 18 drafted players out of a premiership 22, 80 doesn't go - most draftees will fail to make the grade long term regardless of quality of recruiter.

It's a numbers game, it's all about strike rate and we've lost one of the best. As well the last 3-4 years of his knowledge and IP in tracking this year's crop.

It's not a disaster until his replacement is a failure, but the chances of snaring someone of equal quality without breaking the bank is going to be incredibly difficult.

Was gonna make a comment about having so many lawyers and not being able to hold him to a contract, but if he told them he intended to leave post season, I'd also rather him gone now.
My friend this is more than a disaster and i saw it coming we have lost
Power would not have got the job if he did not have the qualities needed. I would back Chris Grant and Peter Gordon to employ the right people for the club. Congrats to Dalrymple for his work, but times change and the Dogs will come up a great replacement.
Can you really tell me what Powers record is? To me this is one big stuff up

Not entirely sure how bad the loss of Dalrymple is I guess time will tell.

To me the Kennel just doesn't seem a cohesive and happy place anymore. List managers gone, recruiting manager gone and the Stringer departure and how that was handled seems to suggest something's not right at the Kennel.

Really believe we need a strong person who can challenge Bev and I hope we aren't moving people on who have that trait.

It’s a tough one from the outside looking in. On paper a lot of people seem to get turned over under the Gordon regime, which makes the club look unstable.

On the other hand some tough decisions may well be what finally won us a flag.

Love Dalrymple’s efforts but for all we know there could be some absolute gun in his shadow that’s picked some of the better ones over the years. The club could have held him to his contract but chose not to so obviously they are happier without him.

No one gets endless credits for ‘16 but ultimately the people in charge got us what we wanted so I guess they get benefit of the doubt for now.

Shame that he is leaving, always had faith that he would find talent at whichever pick in the draft. His tenure started poorly too with that Christian Howard pick but he was pretty good after that.

The Bont selection will be his crowning glory. Bit of a speculative pick, went early on him and what a brilliant decision that turned out to be. 2014 draft will also be remembered, picking up three premiership players despite only entering the draft at 26.

Something I always like to point out about that 2014 draft whenever I get the opportunity to.

Western Bulldogs: Picks 26 (McLean), 27 (Webb), 39 (Hamilton), 45 (Dale), 46 (Daniel), 62 (Cordy) = 171 games for club, 5 players still on list.

GWS: Picks 4 (Pickett), 6 (Marchbank), 7 (Ahern), 23 (McKenna), 24 (Steele), 85 (Finlayson) = 25 games for club, 1 player still on list.

Very grateful for all he has done at the Bulldogs. A little sad that another key pillar in our premiership success has already left but that’s life I guess. I think he’s left us is in a decent position, still some holes on the list but still a lot of young talent. If his replacement does as well as he did, I would be very happy.

I had a feeling my mail was going to be about Dal but refrained from stating it in case it wasn't.

All WAS not well behind the scenes a few months back. After Jmac left and Sam Power was brought in I was told the peace pipe was smoked, clearly it wasn't though.
Strange. Dalrymple is a good friend of the Power family as is Baines. Would have thought he had friends all around him. Must have fielded a massive offer from Sydney and to be honest, he is so good I think we’re lucky to have had him for 10 years. Without a doubt the best recruiter in the game. Will go down as a key architect of the 2016 flag. Another Bulldogs legend

Dalrymple is a gun - I'm really slow to praise recruiters because there are so many variables each year they have to deal with. It's also hard because you need a lot of drafts and a lot of data points before you get picture of how good a recruiter is. For me, I was so comfortable knowing that regardless of where we finished we'd at least nail a few picks or more. It was a nice a safety net.

He's a really big loss but it's not critical. We thought the same thing when Clayton left and someone stepped up. One thing that does give me faith is I know for a fact the Bulldogs are on the cutting edge of academia when it comes to rating players(mental and physical skill) - a lot of that is thanks to the VU connection. Of course that isn't everything but I hope Simon has passed on his knowledge to those around him just as Clayton did to him.

He was an integral part of that premiership team so I'll be forever grateful. I wish him the best personally but professionally I hope he goes down hill at Sydney just like Clayton did at the GC haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a well timed loss but I’m on the side of the impact being a little overstated. The article calling him the architect of the premiership is a bit of a stretch for mine, mainly because it contradicts the argument that the Dogs were not the best team across 2016 but had a well timed and executed finals which is surely attributable to an alignment of game plan, coaching, motivation and player effort at the right time than the actual players we had that were recruited by Dal.

Yep, and Lockett, Franklin and Tippett going to the swines was also just a coincidence (oh and the cost of living allowance when it was more expensive to live in Perth than Sydney yet the WA teams didn't get any allowance)
What the hell has that got to do with this?
No cola anymore and that only applied to players - and there’s a soft cap on footy spend.
He left cause he wasn’t happy
16 months on from a flag.

Let’s look in the mirror and start calling a spade a spade.

I'm disappointed he's left - he is an excellent recruiter.

The Bont selection will always be golden. Plus Caleb Daniel at 46, JJ in the rookie draft, Stringer (yes he's left but still a part of the 2016 flag) and Macrae in 2012. There are many others obviously.

Guido's post sums up my thoughts. We've lost an excellent recruiter but until we see what Sam Power and the rest perform with recruiting in future there's no point catastrophising.

This board in general needs to take stock and relax a little.

It seems no lessons have been learnt in recent years. Ask yourselves these questions?

a) Cast your mind back to 2014. We've lost Griffen, Cooney, Higgins, sacked McCartney and we look like we're in all sorts. Did anyone believe we'd win the flag in 2 years? Seriously?

b) Cast your mind back to the end of 2016 and we've just won the flag. Did anyone we'd slide out of the eight and that Richmond (13th in 2016) would win the flag? Seriously?

The answers to the above questions surely show you that football at the moment is unpredictable and the loss of one or any number of club personnel is not disastrous, and also that winning a flag and a mid table finish does not mean more of the same next season.

I'm getting sick of seeing the 2016 flag getting passed off as a fluke, the list is average, Beveridge is average blah blah blah.

If we return to form this year everyone who's been bagging these people will turn quicker than ever back to praising the coach and the playing group as the second coming.

Just relax, it's fine to be disappointed about a setback for the club but I'm fairly certain the sky is not about to fall in.

I'm disappointed he's left - he is an excellent recruiter.

The Bont selection will always be golden. Plus Caleb Daniel at 46, JJ in the rookie draft, Stringer (yes he's left but still a part of the 2016 flag) and Macrae in 2012. There are many others obviously.

Guido's post sums up my thoughts. We've lost an excellent recruiter but until we see what Sam Power and the rest perform with recruiting in future there's no point catastrophising.

This board in general needs to take stock and relax a little.

It seems no lessons have been learnt in recent years. Ask yourselves these questions?

a) Cast your mind back to 2014. We've lost Griffen, Cooney, Higgins, sacked McCartney and we look like we're in all sorts. Did anyone believe we'd win the flag in 2 years? Seriously?

b) Cast your mind back to the end of 2016 and we've just won the flag. Did anyone we'd slide out of the eight and that Richmond (13th in 2016) would win the flag? Seriously?

The answers to the above questions surely show you that football at the moment is unpredictable and the loss of one or any number of club personnel is not disastrous, and also that winning a flag and a mid table finish does not mean more of the same next season.

I'm getting sick of seeing the 2016 flag getting passed off as a fluke, the list is average, Beveridge is average blah blah blah.

If we return to form this year everyone who's been bagging these people will turn quicker than ever back to praising the coach and the playing group as the second coming.

Just relax, it's fine to be disappointed about a setback for the club but I'm fairly certain the sky is not about to fall in.

I like the positivity but this crap keeps happening in our club and you just don't see it at others. Can you imagine Geelong loosing Griffen, shooting their coach, winning a flag, then having the core player group basically pissing away the following year during preseason, failing to turn around an enigmatic star forward (gee - look how Steve J turned out v the Stringer scenario...?), playing that out so horribly in the media that a walk up 1st round draft pick trade turned into a desperate scramble to save face, and then melting down the entire list management team?

I can't either. They find a way to get it done that isn't this.

Something is absolutely ******* rotten in the state of Denmark

A bit of a shock and a shame to lose him ahead of time, but the timing is right in terms of when should a person in that role exit. Finished his project, time enough to get someone new in before their busy stretch. Fingers crossed there is a similar talent ready to go.

The crisis and panic reactions are Pavlovian. Conditioned by the media and 1989/96. We'd do well to push back on those reactions.

s**t! Massive loss for you guys. I rate him as the best U18 talent scout. The worst thing is, it’s only going to make those bloody Sydney pricks even stronger in the next few years.

What's happened to Beatson ? also did a great job at the swannies.
Good Riddells Creek boy , maybe he comes back home ?
Are we actually looking for a replacement or is Power it ?

Will there ever be a time where we get a player, coach, staff etc etc at their peak from another club. Doubt it
Seems to be all one way.
not good
Bains was a good get. We got Beveridge from a pending role at saints too. We can only do it to saints though it would seem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back