Preview JLT 2018 - Gold Coast v Geelong, 4:35pm Sunday, Townsville

Remove this Banner Ad

Not too annoyed with the result. Humid, harsh conditions which were unusual to the Catters but the only worry was the half-assed kicks that couldn't reach player 10m away. Mostly good signs though apart from the scoreline

There were some awful kicks! I was really surprised by Duncan having such an off day, he was on song as usual during the AFLX.

Knights post game interview mentions the overuse of handball and the reason why. It made sense to me. The video is the place not the text.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-04/its-never-opportune-to-lose-by-that-margin

Hmmmm. . .looking at Knights' body language, a few porkies or 'invented' answers IMO

Knights on the handballs:
". . .it's probably the way we played with our missed opportunities. I thought we missed a number of short kicks early in the game + what happens is, when you miss short kicks, is then you gotta try to mop them up with a handball + one or two handball can lead to four or five handball. I think that stat was on the back of a little bit of our short kicking ball use, didn't quite hit the target + then, err, the handballs compounded. So it certainly wasn't a plan to go in + handball that much, no. Yeah, well although, they weren't (pause) It much err, obviously disappointing early, but it wasn't err, they weren't hard skills either, they weren't skills that were under enormous pressure, so it was just a little bit of, you know, of err, not quite hitting the target where we could have controlled the game, we played, we would have been able to play attack for a bit longer + keep Gold Coast defending, but we just weren't able to do that early in the game + that hurt us. Then on the rebound they were very good, very precise with their ball movement + kicked straight."

Knights went on to say that he expects Jellwood, Dangerfield + Taylor to be available for next week.

Hmmmm. . .looking at Knights' body language, a few porkies or 'invented' answers IMO

". . .it's probably the way we played with our missed opportunities. I thought we missed a number of short kicks early in the game + what happens is, when you miss short kicks, is then you gotta try to mop them up with a handball + one or two handball can lead to four or five handball. I think that stat was on the back of a little bit of our short kicking ball use, didn't quite hit the target + then, err, the handballs compounded. So it certainly wasn't a plan to go in + handball that much, no. Yeah, well although, they weren't (pause) It much err, obviously disappointing early, but it wasn't err, they weren't hard skills either, they weren't skills that were under enormous pressure, so it was just a little bit of, you know, of err, not quite hitting the target where we could have controlled the game, we played, we would have been able to play attack for a bit longer + keep Gold Coast defending, but we just weren't able to do that early in the game + that hurt us. Then on the rebound they were very good, very precise with their ball movement + kicked straight."

Knights went on to say that he expects Jellwood, Dangerfield + Taylor to be available for next week.

Good grief.

I hope he’s a far better communicator with the players than the media.

Nothing wrong with handball necessarily.......our issue is A) we’re s**t at actually doing it, and B) our selection of target and when / where to attempt it is atrocious.
Add to what you are saying, this old handball clearance plan is now old hat and high risk,every coach knows what we do,every good or hard working hard checking side will force turnovers and turnovers are death in today's footy.We need to mix things up and have the opposition guessing at least.

Nothing wrong with handball necessarily.......our issue is A) we’re s**t at actually doing it, and B) our selection of target and when / where to attempt it is atrocious.
Both of those issues then make the players look panicked, like they're trying to get rid of a hot potato.

Good grief.

I hope he’s a far better communicator with the players than the media.

I do think he was searching, or perhaps even 'reaching' for answers + his body language certainly indicated that he was uncomfortable. Felt a bit sorry for him.

Add to what you are saying, this old handball clearance plan is now old hat and high risk,every coach knows what we do,every good or hard working hard checking side will force turnovers and turnovers are death in today's footy.We need to mix things up and have the opposition guessing at least.

Yep, I’ve seen enough in the AFLX and JLT to suggest we’ve made little, or no effort, to eliminate our primary reliance on handball from our gameplan.

Lol trying to come onto our board and saying that there wasn’t much difference in the side. Good win by the suns but settle down it’s only a JLT match, when the real thing starts you won’t be playing a side full of debuts nor will you have the weather advantage.

Talk about argorance

The age may have been similar but look at the average games played. They doubled us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I’ve seen enough in the AFLX and JLT to suggest we’ve made little, or no effort, to eliminate our primary reliance on handball from our gameplan.
It's concerning.

I'll be watching Guthrie, Kolodjashnij and Thurlow closely to see whether they've become urgent enough to want to play for the jumper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's concerning.

I'll be watching Guthrie, Kolodjashnij and Thurlow closely to see whether they've become urgent enough to want to play for the jumper.

It is concerning.......as is the lack of urgency demonstrated by the players you’ve named.

As you said yesterday, we’re nowhere near it if we do indeed rely on the same ‘happy handball’ gameplan, and a few of them don’t wake up to themselves.

in Hawks defense he was probably shocked that someone had hit him on the chest and not prepared for it

Hahahahaha! I reckon you're right! Did you see Tomahawk's face? Priceless.

We had 6...they had none. We weren’t just missing a third of our best 22. We were pretty much missing the top third.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It wasn't even a VFL side

Hahahahaha! I reckon you're right! Did you see Tomahawk's face? Priceless.
Almost as if Kelly been reading all the rants about the midfield not kicking it into the forward properly, got so much rage last year watching them bomb it into the forwards or over Hawkins head.

Was a nice shock to see Kelly do it properly.

Yep.

Yet it’s a basic skill that we execute poorly.

+ that's the point, "it's a basic skill". It's a skill that is so basic it's drilled into players, so why are we so poor?

Reading far too much into it IMO.

+ that's the point, "it's a basic skill". It's a skill that is so basic it's drilled into players, so why are we so poor?

And it’s been poor for a long time........ball goes wide, to the feet, behind the player, or high and slow

And worst of all, to a guy standing stockstill :mad:

Why? I have no idea :huh:

Reading far too much into it IMO.

I'm not so sure, I've done a lot of body language training. I do acknowledge you might be sceptical, which is OK. Also, while transcribing his responses I needed to watch the video many times + I think it's clear that he was struggling. But, each to their own, it makes our discussions here interesting.

Pressure creates fumbles. From u8s to AFL, perception of time, to time of impending impact creates panic. GC created good pressure, we fumbled as a result. (kicked like sh*t also).

Pressure creates fumbles but most of the fumbles were cause by a lack of familiarity with game speed and touch. Or self imposed pressure.. and other couple of games and they would handle the ball much better, even under duress from opposition. The heat of the game was more about the temperate than the vigour and result focus. ..when guys like 2e miss by foot multiple times . players really have not yet reacquainted themselves to playing in game. GHS has shown in the past he can fumble more than best mids but Im happy enough to give a bit of elbow room in this early game form for missed targets by foot and hand , miss handling caused by rushing.. It was a positive game for Gold Coast ..good on them they need to have that. Im not sure on the size of the oval but it seem not be the biggest I have seen.

Last edited:
And it’s been poor for a long time........ball goes wide, to the feet, behind the player, or high and slow

And worst of all, to a guy standing stockstill :mad:

Why? I have no idea :huh:

Exactly! As you say, "it’s been poor for a long time" - there's the old saying 'If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got" - it's not a complicated issue, yet it persists. Why, indeed?

Knights said:
"I thought we missed a number of short kicks early in the game + what happens is, when you miss short kicks, is then you gotta try to mop them up with a handball + one or two handball can lead to four or five handball. I think that stat was on the back of a little bit of our short kicking ball use, didn't quite hit the target + then, err, the handballs compounded."

Not only were the short kicks missing targets, the handballs were horribly inaccurate. I do love Geelong's passage of play where three run down on the wing, handballing on the run! But this panicked 'hot potato' handball it anywhere, just get rid of the ball is ludicrous. Handballing to prevent turnovers, which results in turnovers. So many times there are opportunities to kick to a free team mate, but they handball! It's excruciating for us experts (;)) to watch.

Again, just basic skills training.

Obviously I'm going to have to have a word with Scotty at the Season Launch :straining:

my biggest issue with judging too harshly yet, is that I would suggest we have the most adaptable/fluid game plan around.. week to week we change what we do and play differently influenced by the opposition... and mind you that is probably to the detriment of the side, as we can look in no mans land as well without our own set style compared to some.

When it doesn't work it looks bad, but that is the same for every sport in the world.... you very rarely look good getting beat.

I think the over use of handball is only a criticism if it doesn't work... and what I mean by that is, when the dogs won the flag they were ridiculous by hand. (probably threw the ball a lot to be fair)

There is no right or wrong necessarily and every game plan is a team by team basis depending on what your strengths and weaknesses are, I wonder if the aim is to get the ball to outside receivers who are good by foot, we have beasts inside who can win it, but when you are doing that you normally can't kick it all that cleanly just due to the traffic and pressure around you. So we try get it to someone clean and out who can kick, as opposed to someone scrubbing a kick under pressure that is turned over immediately. The whole thing is impacted by the pressure around us and how we handle it... we could play the same way but with vastly more experience/better personnel and look a completely different more effective side as well.

if we play the guns next week, and look as panicked and don't handle it then it's going to be a long year.
but if we pull it off the other team may not be able to get a hand on us as well

Exactly! As you say, "it’s been poor for a long time" - there's the old saying 'If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got" - it's not a complicated issue, yet it persists. Why, indeed?

Knights said:
"I thought we missed a number of short kicks early in the game + what happens is, when you miss short kicks, is then you gotta try to mop them up with a handball + one or two handball can lead to four or five handball. I think that stat was on the back of a little bit of our short kicking ball use, didn't quite hit the target + then, err, the handballs compounded."

Not only were the short kicks missing targets, the handballs were horribly inaccurate. I do love Geelong's passage of play where three run down on the wing, handballing on the run! But this panicked 'hot potato' handball it anywhere, just get rid of the ball is ludicrous. Handballing to prevent turnovers, which results in turnovers. So many times there are opportunities to kick to a free team mate, but they handball! It's excruciating for us experts (;)) to watch.

Again, just basic skills training.

Obviously I'm going to have to have a word with Scotty at the Season Launch :straining:
Let us know how that goes, I’m sure he’ll be rolling his eyes internally lol :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back