Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Did we lose today.....?

Bartel, who played under some excellent tacticians, was very critical of our defensive setup on the telecast today.

Opposition are scoring way too easily against a squad of defenders that look good on paper.

I'm a Goodwin believer but he needs to fix this ASAP. Lever playing like a tall Toumpas doesn't help.

Bartel, who played under some excellent tacticians, was very critical of our defensive setup on the telecast today.

Opposition are scoring way too easily against a squad of defenders that look good on paper.

I'm a Goodwin believer but he needs to fix this ASAP. Lever playing like a tall Toumpas doesn't help.

3 defenders in our side who were in the squad of 40 AA last year and we leak goals constantly. Something is broken.

Goodwin and his mate Jennings should leave and go coach a team that actually play at Etihad, because that's the only ground where their gameplan works.

Troy Chaplin is the defensive guy. No faith in him what so ever, when he left Richmond they got good.

Troy Chaplin is the defensive guy. No faith in him what so ever, when he left Richmond they got good.
Yep, Chaplin has to go before the season is done and dusted. Backline looked in great shape last season and then we go and ship Rawlings off to the VFL and put in an absolute dud like Chaplin who completely stuffed up our offence last season! Makes zero sense!!! Whoever thought that was a good idea can GTFO! Clearly we have gone backwards at an alarming rate defensively. Jetta, Lever, Hibberd, Hunt etc etc have gone alarmingly backwards! Something needs to change ASAP before the season is shot which could be sooner rather than later with Richmond next week, then two matches at our favourite ground Etihad! Season could be done in the next three weeks!

Has nothing to do with Lever, he was no where near our worst today. The problems start with Goodwin and i don't know who else in the coaching panel but this team has gotten considerably worse under Goodwin this year. Where is Hibberd? Hunt. not even in the side, Jetta playing like a lampost. These are guys who, with the exception of Hibberd made a name for themselves under Roos and they're all 2nd rate players under Goodwin. There's a trend here and they all have one thing in common. Goodwin has to go, i'll give him to the half way point but this team is going to be bottom 6 if this keeps on. Unacceptable, far too much talent to be playing this badly. The posts on Chaplin make sense too but there's some overall very bad coaching going on.

Has nothing to do with Lever, he was no where near our worst today. The problems start with Goodwin and i don't know who else in the coaching panel but this team has gotten considerably worse under Goodwin this year. Where is Hibberd? Hunt. not even in the side, Jetta playing like a lampost. These are guys who, with the exception of Hibberd made a name for themselves under Roos and they're all 2nd rate players under Goodwin. There's a trend here and they all have one thing in common. Goodwin has to go, i'll give him to the half way point but this team is going to be bottom 6 if this keeps on. Unacceptable, far too much talent to be playing this badly. The posts on Chaplin make sense too but there's some overall very bad coaching going on.
Hold up, hold up, hold up.

Jetta was in the AA squad under Goodwin. Hunt was top 10 b&f under Goodwin (sorry 12th). Hibberd himself was AA under Goodwin.

I'm not happy with the defence either but let's not fabricate anything here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My biggest issue with this guy is I struggle to find the appropriate adjective that truly reflects my feelings.

The word "utensil-bag" springs to mind but I'm not really sure what a "utensil-bag" is, and I feel I'm being unfair to any actual utensil-bags that may exist.

Please just go away, you cretin.

Ahh, cretin, that's a good fit.

Hold up, hold up, hold up.

Jetta was in the AA squad under Goodwin. Hunt was top 10 b&f under Goodwin (sorry 12th). Hibberd himself was AA under Goodwin.

I'm not happy with the defence either but let's not fabricate anything here.
Right. So what's happened this yr, that's the question.

It's not just def either. Goodwins tactical placement of players is headscratching. Our forward line is non existant, our work from stoppages, well down and players aren't playing their roles. There's an abundance of flankers, there's no help for Hogan when Weed kicked 5 on the weekend. I question almost every decision he makes. How did Harmes end up in the ruck today, why are Jones and Salem playing tagger roles at times..there is just so many questionable decisions. He has no plan b and he doesn't adjust to what's happening in the game. It just doesn't look like he can coach from where i sit.

It seems that Goodwin is trying this medium sized approach that Richmond and the WB employed. I don’t get the philosophy. We don’t have either the skills nor the intensity to be able to take this approach.

Harmes in the ruck? Basic things like keeping players a kick behind the ball? Jones playing a tagger role? I mean what is going on here? We’ve completely restructured our defence to accomodate Lever who just isn’t up to it.

Most concerning was a 35 point first quarter then 13 points for the remainder of the game.

Yes I can't defend him this week, feels like we're back to the Bailey years. (At least it's not Neeld)

At least in the Bailey years we had a good spread and could obliterate lowly teams. We just couldn't defend against good teams. Now we give everyone a chance. And can't defend against good teams.

Harmes in the ruck was one of the most ridiculous moves made by any coach this year, why didn't we just pick Pedo? It made no sense before and it still makes no sense after.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back