Analysis The Coach – Simon Goodwin: "Working incredibly hard" until at least 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Did he go on about this being part of the journey in the presser? Because I ain't watching that s**t
Cliche stuff, but said we took a step back

It is interesting.
I have a family member who is close to Essendon.
It was said Worsfold was good at pre-match structure but procrastinated at making tactical decisions during the match in real time.
Goodwin is probably the same.
He requires a new assistant in the box to oversee ruthless decision making during the match.
Otherwise, he should go.

Sometimes i think Goodwin's biggest Flaw is that he puts to much faith in the players. Sounds odd i know, but hear me out. It;s good to believe and have faith in your playing list, but sometimes i think Goodwin will just leave a player being beaten where he is because he almost expects him to bounce back, until it gets real ugly

Looking at it we let Roosy go atleast one season too soon. Ideally we'd like to have him on right now, but Goodwin took on a very young team and as an inexperienced coach that can't be good and we are seeing the bumpy results
We didn't let Roosy go to be fair, we'd have given him a life contract if he'd been keen

Honestly I think we have taken a step backwards this year. Individually the playing list is down on form and 4 games have been the same and worse than last year.

I don't and haven't seen any progression in a game plan and in fact our forward and back halves look worse than last year.

Individually our back 6 at defending is bottom 6. Just a terrible defence.

b22a29c2a7fa71406599d85bb7962de0

This is all that really matters

Round 1. 64 I50s for 29 scores, Conceded 41 for 27 scores
Round 2. 56 I50s for 30, Conceded 52 for 24
Round 3. 66 I50s for 33, Conceded 45 for 21

So this year we have had 186 inside 50s and scored 92 times which is 49.5%
We have conceded 138 for 72 for 52%

I will not upon typing that it does appear that the balance is pretty good and its actually skewed due to Innacuracy by us and a complete system failure against Geelong in the first half where we conceded 21 scores from 27 I50s

I will say defensively we will need to be better.
Richmond have conceded 162 I50s for 72 scores.
Their defence is conceding only every 44%

Their attack is going at 47% for the same metric.

So what I take out of that which is what Ive already been saying, our team defence is as good as the premiers but once it falls over our individual defending still has us short of the elite. Conceding a score every second entry is way too high, small sample size I know but good sides will punish us for that. Our attack however is working beautifully.

This was what I said before the game, It was so ******* obvious that we would fall in a hole against a good side and look what happened.

Foxsports showed a stat saying we conceded 10.7 from 31 inside 50s at one point... thats a ******* disgrace in the wet. Once again conceding a score on 55% of our entries which is been a trend we have displayed for all of Goodys reign. Instead of slowing the game down we double down like a problem gambler and end up losing even more
From the same 31 entries we scored 1.8! 9 scoring shots to 17
Our defence and team defense literally conceded twice as many scores from the same amount of pressure.

Now I didnt predict our attack would collapse aswell but we need a plan B for when we arent scoring. We are a team that relies on solely outscoring its opposition at all times with no ability to shutdown a quarter when we arent playing well and wrestling momentum back later.

Our game plan is broken, unless something changes we will finish bottom 6. You just cant consistently win games when your defence doesnt work. Good sides can absorb pressure for minimal damage, I see sides do it against us but we cant do it.

INSIDE 50s were 54-53 against Hawthorn yet the kicked 12 more goals. System is broken

During the first quarter against Geelong my old man mentioned, we are 15 inside 50's for 5 scoring shots, Geelong 6 inside 50's for 6 scoring shots. Nothing has changed from the start of the season.

We need more marking power up forward but we need a stronger defence. I was looking forward to seeing Tmac and Hogan up forward together but I think we need Tmac back in defence.

Harmes in the ruck was one of the most ridiculous moves made by any coach this year, why didn't we just pick Pedo? It made no sense before and it still makes no sense after.
Because for some reason Harmes has been kept in the side over Pedo, god knows why. His form has been average and what Pedo provides every week is a contest unlike that muppet.

It wasn’t the only dumb coaching move by Goodwin. The inability to counter Hawthorn pushing numbers behind the ball because we just indiscriminately ‘get ball kick ball’ from our backline, this continued experiment with Lever who has been given priority within our backline at the expense of our structure. I cannot explain how much of a letdown this guy has been. He is horrific in a one on one to the point where he almost won’t compete, and Jetta and Hibberd haven’t been able to provide their rebound due to the way we are structured.

All in all, out coached by Clarkson in wet weather footy and coupled with zero effort from quarter time.

A disaster.

During the first quarter against Geelong my old man mentioned, we are 15 inside 50's for 5 scoring shots, Geelong 6 inside 50's for 6 scoring shots. Nothing has changed from the start of the season.

We need more marking power up forward but we need a stronger defence. I was looking forward to seeing Tmac and Hogan up forward together but I think we need Tmac back in defence.
We are just wasteful. If hogan gets dragged up the ground we have a small forward line to kick to, and if those players aren’t applying pressure then it’s a walk out from our forward 50. Stratton was laughing at us yesterday, it was comical to him to watch us play with a faux tough guy attitude.

We need Pedersen in and we need to drop Lever. Our backline isn’t working with him at the moment. He needs to go back to the VFL and learn to defend one on one. Some additional weights might be good also.

We need a simple set up that allows our back men to rebound and we need a deep forward target. Exactly how Hawthorn use Roughead.

Some big changes are required.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there is something in the talk about our side being too arrogant.
I don't mind all the pushing and shoving and s**t talk but when you've got Hogan rubbing a blokes head early in the first and the team collectively folds one quarter later then you do wonder if these guys just think it's gonna happen for them.

I don't mind all the pushing and shoving and s**t talk but when you've got Hogan rubbing a blokes head early in the first and the team collectively folds one quarter later then you do wonder if these guys just think it's gonna happen for them.
Ben Stratton was laughing at us yesterday. That’s how much he thinks of our tough guy approach.

Sure, be tough and rough and bad, but then deliver the results. Harmes was so poor yesterday I don’t want to see him for months.

God that sickened me. What a fiasco.

Just making sure this doesn’t slip too far from the top. Concerted board effort here please team - someone’s gotta bump this every time it’s relevant!
hahaha I’m a man of my word - I’ll bump it myself if need be

I laughed when he said in press conference that team hadn't performed this bad in quite some time.

Did he watch the first 3 games of the season?

We've been building up to a stinker like that nicely. Could see it coming a mile away once we faced some decent opposition.

I laughed when he said in press conference that team hadn't performed this bad in quite some time.

Did he watch the first 3 games of the season?

We've been building up to a stinker like that nicely. Could see it coming a mile away once we faced some decent opposition.
Agreed. This hiding was on the cards. We’ve been putting bandaids on a chainsaw wound for 3 weeks. How we’ve got away with it I don’t know.

If anything I hope this actually forces change within our mindset.

No leadership. And yes that includes Jones.

I understand the melts going on atm, no one likes to waste an afternoon watching the s**t our team inflicted on us yesterday. Frankly, we have put up with too much of that s**t over the past decade, so no wonder we don’t have patience for it. But we’re a better team than we showed yesterday, I hope most on this board will agree.

When Tyson was listed as an out, I had a bad feeling about this game, I just didn’t want to admit it to myself. We simply cannot cover both Viney and Tyson being out of the team. It significantly impacts our team and the brand of football we aim to play. As a “from the contest out” side, we can’t afford to have two of our three best inside mids out. Then considering the injuries to Viney and Tmac this season, I think we are sitting about where we belong (12th) in an even league. Where would Hawthorn be without say Mitchell and Stratton for the first 10 rounds of the season?

So I am willing to cut Goody some slack at the moment. Since Max Gawn got injured, we haven’t had a clean run at it with the best players on our list suffering bad injuries. From here, I will consider finals a bonus this season. Realistically we aren’t good enough yet to cover the injuries that we have sustained to key personnel.

we have gone backwards this year. haven't been impressed at all by our first 4 games. Goodwin better be addressing our concerns in house, because he's not even acknowledging them publicly. I have serious concerns over him, I don't think he can coach. Lever has destroyed our backline. So many players down on form. Our ball use forward of centre and forward structure is deplorable. People everywhere potting St Kilda but we haven't been much better.

He just seems so...clueless. Head in sand, full of cliches. With the talent we have have we should be top four. The game plan is all over the place, no real structure. I don't blame the players at all, they seem to be as confused as us to what the plan is and how to execute it.

Harsh to say but, no finals this year, no Goodwin. I really wish Roos had stuck around, this list needs someone with experience

I understand the melts going on atm, no one likes to waste an afternoon watching the s**t our team inflicted on us yesterday. Frankly, we have put up with too much of that s**t over the past decade, so no wonder we don’t have patience for it. But we’re a better team than we showed yesterday, I hope most on this board will agree.

When Tyson was listed as an out, I had a bad feeling about this game, I just didn’t want to admit it to myself. We simply cannot cover both Viney and Tyson being out of the team. It significantly impacts our team and the brand of football we aim to play. As a “from the contest out” side, we can’t afford to have two of our three best inside mids out. Then considering the injuries to Viney and Tmac this season, I think we are sitting about where we belong (12th) in an even league. Where would Hawthorn be without say Mitchell and Stratton for the first 10 rounds of the season?

So I am willing to cut Goody some slack at the moment. Since Max Gawn got injured, we haven’t had a clean run at it with the best players on our list suffering bad injuries. From here, I will consider finals a bonus this season. Realistically we aren’t good enough yet to cover the injuries that we have sustained to key personnel.
I think the melts are the culmination of all the flaws everyone has noticed this season and last season becoming abundantly clear. All of our bad habits were definitely magnified today.

I was willing to cut Goodwin some slack last year because the injury toll was enormous but this year we are fine. Considering the Hawks had several mid game injuries our performance looks worse.

The from the contest out philosophy is what i am most frustrated about because it relies on absolute contested dominance, which isn't achievable week to week or even throughout a whole game. The inside mid battle was not our biggest weakness against Hawthorn it was every other aspect of the game, we actually won contested possessions and were even on inside 50's yet it meant absolutely nothing because we had no structure to do anything with it.

IMO personnel is not a problem, it is overwhelming the gameplan and positioning of players, which isn't being helped by bad team selection, which is our biggest problem at the moment. Terrible football habits have crept into our team and i put the blame on the coaching group. Either they aren't giving the right message or it is not being communicated well at all.

To be fair, I don't think Hogan can really be seen as indicative of any club-wide arrogance. After what he's been through, it seems like he takes footy a little less intensely than he did. His body language is way better and he's been great whenever he's on the radio.

Would love to bring Roos back, even if it was only as a defensive coordinator. The individual pieces of the back line seem OK, but the collective is s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back