Autopsy Freo get mauled by the Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

So we wont have the usual posters this week suggesting the umpires cost us the game and No Margetts didn't umpire our game.

Anyone who blames the umps for this loss didn't watch the game. There were heaps of mistakes but nothing game changing. We were every bit as bad as the game suggests which is damning because the tiggies had an off day as well for most of it.

Firstly some quality melts today. :D Secondly Dunstall is a massive flog and has always hated Freo - maybe it's because he was s**t in his last game which was against us.

This!

So much this.

I'm still pissed off at his commentary in the Bulldogs game. The only thing he didn't say over and over was how much he hated Fremantle. Probably because his mouth was full of bile and stupidity there was no room left.

Firstly some quality melts today. :D Secondly Dunstall is a massive flog and has always hated Freo - maybe it's because he was s**t in his last game which was against us.

But most importantly we had Langdon, Blakely, Banfield, Cerra, Tucker, Brayshaw, Ryan, Pearce, Hughes, Cox, Duman and Crowden playing and people are surprised about losing to the reigning premiers on their own dungheap.

It's not like we had anyone running around for Peel that was worth bringing in.

This is the price of gaining experience - you can't buy or have it given to you. Every kid that played today would have learned something, not the least of which was that we CAN match it with the best when we don't burn the ball.
I don’t think anyone was surprised we lost, it’s the way we lost.
Banging games into the young fellas will help confidence and composure, it’s not going to make them better kicks though imo

I went for a jog to gather my thoughts. I was about to go scorched Earth policy but will ease up.

I’m now heavily in the Fyfe as forward camp. We won clearances 44-22 but who cares if it just comes back over your head.

Everything else just shuffles around that main idea.
This. We got the players can play middle to help out Fyfe. Hell, give Cerra a full game in the middle. He can be great in close and has smarts. Brayshaw too. Blakely is another.
Don't get why Fyfe is wasted in the middle when Richmond let him go all game and didn't really damage them. Put him against Rance and that changes things.

Current AFL theory is that players walk in the day they are drafted with the hand and foot skills they have for their career.
I think it’s all confidence and composure related. Young guys have to build it and are prone to making mistakes without it. Skills can improve but you’d be talking small margins.

Largest positive was no injuries.

Not sure who comes in but Hughes can get stuffed for a start.
First game back for the season. Playing with a brand new defence. Against the best team in the comp. Give him a break. He's underprepared too. Will need a few games and he ll fit in with the backline. Perhaps next week against St Kilda he ll gel.

This. We got the players can play middle to help out Fyfe. Hell, give Cerra a full game in the middle. He can be great in close and has smarts. Brayshaw too. Blakely is another.
Don't get why Fyfe is wasted in the middle when Richmond let him go all game and didn't really damage them. Put him against Rance and that changes things.

I think Neale and Blakely through the middle with any one of rotating youngsters or Stephen Hill.

We have the best player in the competition who loves a contested grab and we’re using him how exactly?

My arousel curve would go up exponentially if we were kicking deep to Fyfe as opposed to McCarthy or anyone else.

McCarthy was just edged off it too easily at times. Not his fault. He’s not a stay deep type forward.

But most importantly we had Langdon, Blakely, Banfield, Cerra, Tucker, Brayshaw, Ryan, Pearce, Hughes, Cox, Duman and Crowden playing and people are surprised about losing to the reigning premiers on their own dungheap.

This is the price of gaining experience - you can't buy or have it given to you. Every kid that played today would have learned something, not the least of which was that we CAN match it with the best when we don't burn the ball.

I like they way u kicked off proceedings with the most pressing matters LFB.

Dunstalls a miserable utensil bag who still thinks his s**t dont stink. I swear having him call your games is the biggest insult u can get from a tv network. Maybe he needs Bomber to hook him up with some good s**t so he doesnt seem so depressing all the time!

Confidence has a massive impact on skill execution. Do you think a guy who is on the PGA tour that gets the yips has forgotten how to putt?

Pressure and implied pressure saps the confidence and creates doubt in the ability to execute what should be a simple skill like hitting a target 25m away. This is the reason why goal kicking hasn't really improved in 40 years. It isn't technical - it's psychological.

Don't forget it isn't that long ago everyone thought the Tigers were a basket case with s**t skills.

Rest easy friends, quality will out and our kids have plenty of quality.

I think Neale and Blakely through the middle with any one of rotating youngsters or Stephen Hill.

We have the best player in the competition who loves a contested grab and we’re using him how exactly?

My arousel curve would go up exponentially if we were kicking deep to Fyfe as opposed to McCarthy or anyone else.

McCarthy was just edged off it too easily at times. Not his fault. He’s not a stay deep type forward.
Exactly. And where he get them? Outside the back 50. Hardly damaging. We need him forward of centre. Mccarthy needs a foil and can't play the main forward role. Martin plays majority of his time forward of the ball, Richmond's middle would do the hard work getting it to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think anyone was surprised we lost, it’s the way we lost.
Banging games into the young fellas will help confidence and composure, it’s not going to make them better kicks though imo
They are generally good kicks but today they were trying to dispose of the ball under extreme pressure. Really extreme pressure. That is what they will get better at with more games.

Paint whatever blue sky / green shoots positive spin b/s you like over that but the fact is that the Tigers were playing their 3rd game in 13 days and were 1 down on the bench. To get over run like that was very worrying

We are a perennially underachieving club but when was the last time we took a risk or tried to get out ahead of the game with our recruiting such as a 7 ft tall x American basket baller who moves better than most of our midfielders or an athletic genetic monster from Africa or an Irishman who kicks it better than anyone on our list after playing the game for 2 years

I know a few of our ' point of difference players ' are injured at the moment and with a full list we would be more competitive but well if some one can just remind me of the last time that was ....... anyone

We are a very conservative club , we seemingly have 0 interest in any sort of innovation at all. Can anyone name 1 thing we are doing differently to other clubs that might give us an edge in any way ? Nothing I can think of , we just putter along quietly sticking to the plan like those sh*thouse pink formula 1 cars whose only purpose is to give the fans something to watch while they wait for the real teams to come past again

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fyfe is one of the few players in the AFL who polls in games his team loses. Wouldn't be surprised if he picks up a vote or two.
I'd be surprised if he didn't pick up 3. I know umps beat to their own drum but as Hardwick said, clearly the most dominant player on the ground. Just can't think of anyone from Richmond who came close.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Man if you think people on here are actually melting you need to get out more and read some other boards after a loss.
But yeah, this is 100% better than the port game, no one in their right mind could have expected us to win and Cerra was great

I'd be surprised if he didn't pick up 3. I know umps beat to their own drum but as Hardwick said, clearly the most dominant player on the ground. Just can't think of anyone from Richmond who came close.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
I guess this kind of compliments the Tigers in some way atm. They seem to spread the load evenly. Having a small forward line is another good sign of this. They arnt too reliant on anyone. Also the backline apart from Rance are fairley underrated & unheralded. They just get the job done time and time again. Hopefully they give WCE a good touch up in a couple of weeks

I guess this kind of compliments the Tigers in some way atm. They seem to spread the load evenly. Having a small forward line is another good sign of this. They arnt too reliant on anyone. Also the backline apart from Rance are fairley underrated & unheralded. They just get the job done time and time again. Hopefully they give WCE a good touch up in a couple of weeks
It's almost as if they play a defensive rebound game with a bunch of role players.

Positives - Fyfe.

Negatives - we lost to Richmond without Cotchin, Grigg and Prestia by 77 points
We didn't have Tabs, Sonny or Billy either.

I'd argue that Tabs and Sonny mean more to us than either of Grigg or Prestia do to the Tigers. We only have 3 quality forwards (maybe 4 depending on your opinion of Matera) and two of them didn't play.

Better teams than us are getting beat up by Richmond. This was not unexpected and When our guys are their size and experience we will be a dominant team. It’s obvious that rebuilds are longer than four years if Richmond and Melbourne are anything to go by.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back