Review Post Game Day Thread Collingwood vs Brisbane - Thanks for De Goey, Bears

Remove this Banner Ad

Why the inconsistency, poor one week good the next. Good teams are consistently good and have percentage wins against teams like bris.

We are not good enough obviously because we are not consistent. Why?
Seriously? You want the club to answer that? You can't work it out yourself?

Listen to Buckley's press conference, he is also addressing this.

Not sure the words, 'held to account' is what this is about me thinks.

... and apparently there are no subtleties, no shades of grey, no outside influences. I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Unbelievable re.. ultimately I don't think you're offended by me calling a player 's**t'.. you know why? You're a hotshot dude. You win!

And for the record.. Appleby is s**t re.

I thought Trelaor was quite lazy yesterday. On the bounce they showed footage of him during the week before the game limping into training. It looked very painful. He shouldn't be playing, based on that footage.

As for the game, I thought we just regressed to our old style of footy. The selection did nothing to assist is quicker free flowing style of footy. Every time I see Blair fumble or drop the ball or lead into dead space that does nothing to improve forward movement or improve the angle to goals, a little part of me dies. So pretty much every time he is near the footy, a little part of me dies.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

100% correct about having another KPD sized defender down there as the bloke Scharenberg was standing dwarfed him and was much too strong for him.

They need to put Moore down back and leave hin there for a while. Either Reid or McLarty up front with Cox.

Put it in place and give it time to gel, or not as might happen.

Last edited:
It really annoys me when I read 'excuses', since when is an excuse a substitute for facts? These are facts not excuses and may be a reason why we should not be compared to Richmond that has a full list to select from and have been playing together for a lot more than 6 games.
I don't consider Reid, Maynard and Aish who has been one of better consistently good players as 'role' players.

I am surprised that you compare a forward/part time defender and a mid that been asked to play back to replace backs that have been jelling well together.

Firstly if that really annoys you that says a lot more for you than the opinion of the person that believes that. It’s first world problems right there!

Next the context of the use of the facts was to provide an excuse I thought that was plainly obvious? Whether you agree or not that the injuries are worthy of being used as an excuse is separate, but it doesn’t change that they’ve been used as an excuse. If we came out and did what we should have v Brisbane (a solid 4-5 goal win) the mention of injuries and short breaks would have been very different. It would have been used to glorify our performance not justify it. Unfortunately there are some on here that will never understand that because the masses don’t see it all the same way.

In terms of your views on the three we lost I personally consider anyone that isn’t a gamebreaker as a role or fringe player so whether you don’t consider those three role players is inconsequential to my statement. Really I just disagree with you and only have Steele, Grundy, Elliott, Pendles, Treloar, JDG and Howe as key players. Therefore we suffered no injuries of note through those three games to warrant factual injuries to be used in an attempt to excuse a poor performance. The club didn’t cop it and neither will I!

And that's the problem the club is not being held to account, poor one week and then world beaters the next week but no one asks if only rarely. But the club would never answer anyway.

Not good enough.

Exactly! The consistently inconsistent performance are a trait that we just can’t shake. Say we win next week there’s every chance we drop our guard the following week and put in a stinker against another team we should topple comfortably. It’s exactly why we are far from the “good” team that some have posted about because we found a way to win in a game that shouldn’t have been so close.

The old saying goes sometimes you win and sometimes you learn. I just find it staggering that some are failing to acknowledge that the win was an absolute bonus for us yesterday because we should learn a bundle from that mistake riddled performance.

Firstly if that really annoys you that says a lot more for you than the opinion of the person that believes that. It’s first world problems right there!

Next the context of the use of the facts was to provide an excuse I thought that was plainly obvious? Whether you agree or not that the injuries are worthy of being used as an excuse is separate, but it doesn’t change that they’ve been used as an excuse. If we came out and did what we should have v Brisbane (a solid 4-5 goal win) the mention of injuries and short breaks would have been very different. It would have been used to glorify our performance not justify it. Unfortunately there are some on here that will never understand that because the masses don’t see it all the same way.

In terms of your views on the three we lost I personally consider anyone that isn’t a gamebreaker as a role or fringe player so whether you don’t consider those three role players is inconsequential to my statement. Really I just disagree with you and only have Steele, Grundy, Elliott, Pendles, Treloar, JDG and Howe as key players. Therefore we suffered no injuries of note through those three games to warrant factual injuries to be used in an attempt to excuse a poor performance. The club didn’t cop it and neither will I!
Yet no mention of using Richmond with a full list as comparison?

No first world problem here, just like yours, an opinion!

I seem to play a lot more significance on continuity and chemistry than you appear to do irrespective of whether they are role players or stars as each has a role. When there are charges to a line that has been performing well then that affects the chemistry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't seen the game, Josh Thomas kicked 3 goals and no one seems to have mentioned it. Pretty good effort IMO.
Have to say it, but Thomas has gone up notches.

Though I’ve often marvelled he’s a player than can pick up the pace of AFL just like that.

That’s something he has, and a tough cookie.

(Mea culpa: I was quite determined that Keeffe was the one we needed to keep but Thomas was just another player. Got that one wrong, big time.)

Have to say it, but Thomas has gone up notches.

Though I’ve often marvelled he’s a player than can pick up the pace of AFL just like that.

That’s something he has, and a tough cookie.

(Mea culpa: I was quite determined that Keeffe was the one we needed to keep but Thomas was just another player. Got that one wrong, big time.)
Concur. I thought Thomas was a dime-a-dozen midfielder whereas Keeffe had potential to be our #1KPD. That said - he never really got going after his knee reco

Exactly! The consistently inconsistent performance are a trait that we just can’t shake. Say we win next week there’s every chance we drop our guard the following week and put in a stinker against another team we should topple comfortably. It’s exactly why we are far from the “good” team that some have posted about because we found a way to win in a game that shouldn’t have been so close.

The old saying goes sometimes you win and sometimes you learn. I just find it staggering that some are failing to acknowledge that the win was an absolute bonus for us yesterday because we should learn a bundle from that mistake riddled performance.
Every team-even the very best over the past decades have dropped games to lower rung sides or had to battle to win. I don't understand how long term watchers of football haven't repeatedly seen evidence that escaping in a tight clash with a so called lesser opponent often has absolutely no bearing on the way the team plays a week later against supposedly much tougher opposition. Just finding a way to get the four points is exactly what Geelong and Hawthorn have done for over a decade.

Yet no mention of using Richmond with a full list as comparison?

No first world problem here, just like yours, an opinion!

I seem to play a lot more significance on continuity and chemistry than you appear to do irrespective of whether they are role players or stars as each has a role. When there are charges to a line that has been performing well then that affects the chemistry.

Getting really annoyed over something as trivial as this discussion suggests otherwise...

Surely you jest re the bolded?? Knightmare aside there has been no bigger champion of building chemistry within the list than me over the past few years. That said our poor performance had little to do with chemistry between role players.

I’ll do some actual analysis which is pretty sparse on here these days.

In the 4th quartet 9 points up with 6 minutes on the clock a 7 gamer is allowed to run clean through a stoppage gather and pump the ball I50 to a one on one contest. No pressure from behind, no pressure at the coal face and no extra number sagging back to relieve in the marking contest because the pressure up the field was abysmal. The average punter would have screamed at Shaz for losing the one on one, but that contest was lost as soon as the winger or forward lost touch on Rayner* and gave him a 5 metre leg rope. What exactly does chemistry or short breaks have to do with that when the likes of WHE, Mayne, Blair and Phillips had an abundance of space when we were in possession. Put simply our mids and forwards didn’t run the other way when it mattered most.

Murray receives frontal contact immediately after taking possession on the wing deep in the second quarter and instinctively tries to rocket out a miracle handball to a 1 v 3 out the back of the contest. Instead of absorbing the tackle and creating a stoppage we have another turnover goal.

Murray again time on in the second loses contact with his opponent and goes goalside the ball spills to the front where a player in three metres of space snaffles it and snaps the easiest of goals because there was no body pressure.

Appleby flies back into a contest in the third doesn’t impact it enough and goes to ground. The ball gets to the back where Brisbane have an outnumber and a goal is kicked by Taylor.

None of those three were caused by injuries to role players interrupting chemistry it was poor skill execution and bad defensive work. I could literally pick the eyes out of the defensive work in that contest because at least 50% of their goals were caused by either inept pressuring, skill execution, too many deep I50 entries which placed our defenders under a lot of pressure at ground level or poor setup at stoppages. The one saving grace was the victory and having had time to reflect I think the coaching group only dropped the ball at selection and by not respecting Zorko. It almost cost us, but for once I’m on the players as culprits bandwagon.

*Raynor looks a beauty if that last quarter was any indication

Every team-even the very best over the past decades have dropped games to lower rung sides or had to battle to win. I don't understand how long term watchers of football haven't repeatedly seen evidence that escaping in a tight clash with a so called lesser opponent often has absolutely no bearing on the way the team plays a week later against supposedly much tougher opposition. Just finding a way to get the four points is exactly what Geelong and Hawthorn have done for over a decade.

Not this s**t again. Look up the word trend in the dictionary and then we can maybe discuss this further, but with the time I put into formulating posts I’m not going back over ground I covered last night.

I had to listen to this game. I refuse to invest in anything that is remotely connected to Rupert Murdoch. Listening
was a bloody nightmare and my thoughts on various players, structure and even effort are inconsequential.

That said, this is precisely the game we have lost for the past 4 years. Strange as it may seem I'm more heartened by winning this then beating Adelaide.
They were set for this. We could have easily folded. We didn't.
We didn't play well - I'm OK with that. 4 pts is 4 pts. FWIW I remember games like ths in 2010 - Melbourne spring to mind. I don't think we're in 2010 territory. I don't think we're in 2007 teritory(yet) but we are better than we have been.
Bloke I swear I still have this buzz from the Adelaide game, but seeing all the positive attitudes here despite it "only being Brisbane" is really heartwarming.

Think about it this way. This is a mob we hadn't even beaten in a game until 2002, and we hadn't beaten the bears before that since 1996. Correct me if I am wrong, but we didn't win a game at the 'Gabba against this mob until 2007? One game we didn't even kick a goal in the first half, and we had bucks running around that night too (2004 I think?).

You have dayne beams running off up there for more cash, and a comfortable seat on his throne as skipper of the bears. He was rocking it last night and when he pumped that last goal, his reaction was pure exhilaration. So it was worth every penny when we ran down the other end and dobbed one, to see him go from the penthouse to the shithouse and feel absolutely gutted. Wonder if he missed the bus?

He's not a s**t bloke, and his old man was crook, but hey every time we beat this mob, you have him to think about, and then the rivalry. It's like Carlton. Worse even. 2002-2003 will be etched in the scone for a lifetime. So hundred points would only let them sit there and say "every bloody time". Giving them a sniff and then dropping the bundle? Schadenfreude personified :thumbsu:

He also cant hit the side of a barn

Went at 71% DE last season (just for comparison to someone around the same mark, Steele went at 72% in 2017). He's not as bad as what you think.

Regardless, Adams is there predominantly as an inside mid to extract the pill rather than be heavily reliant on his field kicking. He's invaluable when he's at his best. Shouldn't be played in the backline though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back