The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Wish you posted this an hr back. Decided to try colonial porter. Pretty sure first time try porter. It’s decent but wish I didn’t buy a 6pack.
Top beer, one of my favourites. I didn't used to like darker beers much until a couple of years ago, but now it's what I drink year round apart from the middle of summer. Could just be a sign I'm getting old.

Top beer, one of my favourites. I didn't used to like darker beers much until a couple of years ago, but now it's what I drink year round apart from the middle of summer. Could just be a sign I'm getting old.
No, you’re just expanding your palette.

Dark beers are the *in s**t

Liked the colonial Porter. I don't usually seek out dark beers and on the odd occasion crave one at the pub.
Reckon this is the first dark beer i had since i got really ****ed up on a couple dark beers at Sail and Anchor and threw up like a 18 year old girl on a night out.

Liked the colonial Porter. I don't usually seek out dark beers and on the odd occasion crave one at the pub.
Reckon this is the first dark beer i had since i got really ****** up on a couple dark beers at Sail and Anchor and threw up like a 18 year old girl on a night out.
Yeh that's the trouble, can get drunk pretty quick without noticing it. Much like me with Saturday lunch at Feral, had a few too many glasses of Boris and ended up going to bed about 7.30

Yeh that's the trouble, can get drunk pretty quick without noticing it. Much like me with Saturday lunch at Feral, had a few too many glasses of Boris and ended up going to bed about 7.30
Ahaha dude i was mixing Vodka, wiskey and some strong craft beers that and deserved what i got at the end of the night.

Need to go to feral one day. Did a brewery tour one day for a mates bday and i was in bed by 7.30. Those place have some really deadly drinks.

Ahaha dude i was mixing Vodka, wiskey and some strong craft beers that and deserved what i got at the end of the night.

Need to go to feral one day. Did a brewery tour one day for a mates bday and i was in bed by 7.30. Those place have some really deadly drinks.
Haha yeah that'll do it.
Would give Feral a miss tbh, expensive crap food and nothing that exciting beer wise. If you're going to the swan valley you're better off at The Henley Brook or even Mandoon, you just need to book a table on weekends which my dumbass friend forgot to do.

Dark beers and stouts are the absolute best thing in winter.

I prefer the more refreshing, crisp beers in summer though.
cracked one of the left over colonials just then. I swear to god, if you eat a piece of cheese while drinking it, it really highlights the chocolatiness.
Haha yeah that'll do it.
Would give Feral a miss tbh, expensive crap food and nothing that exciting beer wise. If you're going to the swan valley you're better off at The Henley Brook or even Mandoon, you just need to book a table on weekends which my dumbass friend forgot to do.
I went to swan valley the last time but i can't remember where i actually went.

did you guys uber there or one of you guys decided to stay responsible?

cracked one of the left over colonials just then. I swear to god, if you eat a piece of cheese while drinking it, it really highlights the chocolatiness.

I went to swan valley the last time but i can't remember where i actually went.

did you guys uber there or one of you guys decided to stay responsible?
Nah don't get uber up where I live, managed to talk the Mrs into driving. She was most impressed when I fell asleep in the car on the way home, then smashed down a burger when we got home, then went straight to bed.

These two are probably the best places if you want a beer:
http://thehenleybrook.com.au/
https://mandoonestate.com.au/eat-drink/homestead-brewery

There's also Mash and Ironbark Brewery that aren't bad. Elmars beer isn't too flash but they do some nice german food.

Hopefully check those places out next month.

Lucky you didn't yack on the drive back.
She probably would have just left me by the side of the road.
We went to a Mexican themed wedding a couple of years ago that didn't have much food but as much tequila and tequila cocktails as you could drink. Apparently she had to stop 8 times on the hour and a half drive home for me to throw up.

She probably would have just left me by the side of the road.
We went to a Mexican themed wedding a couple of years ago that didn't have much food but as much tequila and tequila cocktails as you could drink. Apparently she had to stop 8 times on the hour and a half drive home for me to throw up.
Wedding without much food kinda sounds bad. At least they had tequila.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just dropped half a bottle of cognac into my coffee. It legit tastes like a bad night out, however, I'm too lazy to make another coffee.

I cant stand idly by while Feral brewpub is overlooked as a destination spot for the Swan Valley. They literally have a beer for everyone and its always changing. The restaurant menu is a little odd lately but the beer garden food truck serves up plenty of what you need.

If you go to SV, Feral is a non negotiable. Homestead is also excellent. Yet to go to the Hen but I hear plenty of good things.

Just looked at the Hen website. “Showcasing the best the Swan Valley has to offer”

About 50% of the beer and wine are interstate or international, with another 25% from WA but outside of the Swan Valley

I cant stand idly by while Feral brewpub is overlooked as a destination spot for the Swan Valley. They literally have a beer for everyone and its always changing. The restaurant menu is a little odd lately but the beer garden food truck serves up plenty of what you need.

If you go to SV, Feral is a non negotiable. Homestead is also excellent. Yet to go to the Hen but I hear plenty of good things.
The last 3 times I've been to Feral (including this past Saturday) it's been meh. Overpriced crappy food and average service. Sorry, just not a fan.

Last edited:
Just looked at the Hen website. “Showcasing the best the Swan Valley has to offer”

About 50% of the beer and wine are interstate or international, with another 25% from WA but outside of the Swan Valley
They usually have a few local beers on tap not on the list, have had Nail stout everytime I've been.

Yeah, I can overlook the alleged average service (which I haven't experienced personally) and the so-so menu when the beers are that good

Remove this Banner Ad

Back