Ze Vurld Kupp - 2018 world cup thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This just rocked up on my FB feed, to good not to post
36003253_1738044716272440_2484278482087968768_n.jpg

Yep. Anyone having a crack at Bert doesn't have a clue.

I've been impressed with how well organised he has the team playing. My only query has really been around a few of his sections/non selections
Thanks mate, appreciate that.

But the thing is, when Ange was coaching you always felt like we might do something special. Sure, not as defensively organised, but more flair and less predictable/same tempo. They are mostly the same players too, so how do we go from what Ange had to this? Or more specifically, has being more defensively organised made it any more likely that we can win a world cup match? I think it's made us less likely to win a match, but more likely to draw a match. Even though Ange's teams conceded goals, they also scored goals. There was an x-factor that I'm not feeling with this team, even though they look organised.

Jedinak plays his role of protecting the defense well. That allows Mooy to get forward and gives us cover on the counter attack. No problems with either of them.

Kruse was awful and always is. He hardly ever plays for club but is always one of the first picked for Australia for some unknown reason. Yes he gets in good spots, but what is the point if he fluffs every opportunity he gets.

Leckie was getting the ball in the box regularly but there was no one there to put it away. Why they didn't bring Cahill on for the last 20 mins has me ******.

Next game Kruse gets dropped for Arzani (he looks like a 18 year old Kewell v Iran back in the 98 qualifiers). Keep the rest of it much the same. I guess Juric starts for Naboout but only on the proviser that Cahill comes on in the last 30 mins when we are trying to win the game otherwise start him and play him for the first 60 mins.

I wouldn't say he does it well, he's no Makelele or Kante, but he does do a reasonable job. His pace is a worry plus his skills were never the best, so he's not going to be destroying attacks, playing tiki taka or launching counters with regularity. Mooy does get forward at times but he's starting from so deep, by the time he gets there the other side are normally setup behind the ball. Rogic doesn't drop back far at all, so we end up with a gap between him and the midfield that results in only having Leckie, Kruse and Nabbout around him... honest tryers all, and Leckie is a reasonable player but the other two aren't much more than a willing pair of legs.

Agree re: Kruse, doubt many people will offer much up in defense other than "give the bloke a chance". He works hard, but there's got to be some end result, or at the very least some threat offered that might worry the opposition side.

I'd try something a bit different. Push Rogic up front (he's getting marked in the midfield so may as well have a defender on him), put Dimi Petratos in behind him with Leckie and Arzani either side. Or push Mooy up and put that young bloke Irvine alongside Jedanak. No idea if Irvine can even play there, but we need someone up front who can string a few passes together. I'd settle for just Kruse going out and Cardboard Boxman finally getting his shot at glory, though.

Not sure why such love for van Marwijk. Yes, we look organised and okay defensively, but nothing particularly special about that. We've traded that in for just about any attacking threat going forward, and we still regularly get cut up defensively (particularly on Risdon's side and up the guts). Will credit him for getting something out of Milligan and Sainsbury though; both those guys are capable of some terrible errors and the backline is reasonably cohesive. Ryan has been good, too.

In any case, we're going to be neatly and compactly going out of the world cup with a whimper if he doesn't change it up against Peru.

I wouldn't say he does it well, he's no Makelele or Kante, but he does do a reasonable job. His pace is a worry plus his skills were never the best, so he's not going to be destroying attacks, playing tiki taka or launching counters with regularity. Mooy does get forward at times but he's starting from so deep, by the time he gets there the other side are normally setup behind the ball. Rogic doesn't drop back far at all, so we end up with a gap between him and the midfield that results in only having Leckie, Kruse and Nabbout around him... honest tryers all, and Leckie is a reasonable player but the other two aren't much more than a willing pair of legs.

Agree re: Kruse, doubt many people will offer much up in defense other than "give the bloke a chance". He works hard, but there's got to be some end result, or at the very least some threat offered that might worry the opposition side.

I'd try something a bit different. Push Rogic up front (he's getting marked in the midfield so may as well have a defender on him), put Dimi Petratos in behind him with Leckie and Arzani either side. Or push Mooy up and put that young bloke Irvine alongside Jedanak. No idea if Irvine can even play there, but we need someone up front who can string a few passes together. I'd settle for just Kruse going out and Cardboard Boxman finally getting his shot at glory, though.

Not sure why such love for van Marwijk. Yes, we look organised and okay defensively, but nothing particularly special about that. We've traded that in for just about any attacking threat going forward, and we still regularly get cut up defensively (particularly on Risdon's side and up the guts). Will credit him for getting something out of Milligan and Sainsbury though; both those guys are capable of some terrible errors and the backline is reasonably cohesive. Ryan has been good, too.

In any case, we're going to be neatly and compactly going out of the world cup with a whimper if he doesn't change it up against Peru.

As soon as French and Danish officials meet in a quiet bar and quietly agree on a 2-2 draw, we're buggered no matter what.

As soon as French and Danish officials meet in a quiet bar and quietly agree on a 2-2 draw, we're buggered no matter what.

Good. Happy to keep watching Eriksen and co. play. That goal of his was as sweet a strike as you'll see. We're a dull team to watch.

Brazil Costa Rica is good viewing right now. Brazil trying to lay siege to Costa Rica's goal, some desperate defending by the rice and beans boys and some good quick counters where they look half a chance to score.

Hopefully the ref pulls this back... justice!

Still think Falcao is in front on the diving and flopping around leader board , but Neymars back flop gets some points .

Neymar made it an easy decision given he was still slowly teetering over by the time the ref had come back from the VAR review.

Thanks mate, appreciate that.

But the thing is, when Ange was coaching you always felt like we might do something special. Sure, not as defensively organised, but more flair and less predictable/same tempo. They are mostly the same players too, so how do we go from what Ange had to this? Or more specifically, has being more defensively organised made it any more likely that we can win a world cup match? I think it's made us less likely to win a match, but more likely to draw a match. Even though Ange's teams conceded goals, they also scored goals. There was an x-factor that I'm not feeling with this team, even though they look organised.

I mean I kinda agree, which method would have been more likely to get us through the group stage? BVW for sure, he was hardly going to be able to get us playing expansive football in the month he had to get us ready.

Which would I prefer? Ange by a mile, would rather us go out at the group stage entertaining than squeak a round of 16 elimination with some luck.

Also to be fair to Bert, our striker pool would be lucky to be ranked in the top 100 in the world. Even the Kiwis have smeltz.

Belgium are awful. The St Kilda of the football world.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Belgium are awful. The St Kilda of the football world.

Just flicked on the telly, assuming this was before they scored 3 times.

Belgium seems to be like us and Lukaku a perfect example. Belt the smaller teams but struggle against the big ones.

Just flicked on the telly, assuming this was before they scored 3 times.

Belgium seems to be like us and Lukaku a perfect example. Belt the smaller teams but struggle against the big ones.

Nah, 2-0 up and then Tunisia promptly potted the header. They're one of the contenders, for mine. Much improved side from 4 years ago when they had the talent but played some dumb football.

Ridiculous side and depth for a nation that size. 11 million people and they could nearly put out two decent sides in the World Cup. Must be nice to have Kompany, Dembele, Vermaelen, Tielemans, Chadli, Fellaini, Mignolet, Batschuayi, etc as break glass if needed. Such depth. Even have a back-up Hazard and a stand-in Sideshow Bob if Eden or Witsel go down.

Nah, 2-0 up and then Tunisia promptly potted the header. They're one of the contenders, for mine. Much improved side from 4 years ago when they had the talent but played some dumb football.

Ridiculous side and depth for a nation that size. 11 million people and they could nearly put out two decent sides in the World Cup. Must be nice to have Kompany, Dembele, Vermaelen, Tielemans, Chadli, Fellaini, Mignolet, Batschuayi, etc as break glass if needed. Such depth. Even have a back-up Hazard and a stand-in Sideshow Bob if Eden or Witsel go down.

Was just thinking someone Like Benteke doesn't even make their squad and would be a superstar striker in Australia. Our squad is pathetic.

Was just thinking someone Like Benteke doesn't even make their squad and would be a superstar striker in Australia. Our squad is pathetic.

He has been awful for Crystal Palace and Liverpool for a few years, to be fair.

This could have been a cricket score. Lukaku should've had three, Hazard could have as well and now Batshuayi has just butchered a couple of sitters.

He has been awful for Crystal Palace and Liverpool for a few years, to be fair.

This could have been a cricket score. Lukaku should've had three, Hazard could have as well and now Batshuayi has just butchered a couple of sitters.

He's been awful but his awful still gets him around a premier league squad. Our best is probably a bloke who scored a couple for Hibs.

There you go batman finally got his goal.

Main point being alot of countries left players at home who are better than our best striker.

Special case but Argentina left home Icardi FFS.
In comparative terms we are an A League side trying to win the premier league.

He's been awful but his awful still gets him around a premier league squad. Our best is probably a bloke who scored a couple for Hibs.

There you go batman finally got his goal.

Main point being alot of countries left players at home who are better than our best striker.

Special case but Argentina left home Icardi FFS.
In comparative terms we are an A League side trying to win the premier league.

I don't even know who the guy playing for Hibs is. That McLaren bloke?

Yes, the Argies did well leaving Icardi out. Form, class and boatloads of goals are temporary, Messi / Higuain / Mascherano etc is permanent.

I don't even know who the guy playing for Hibs is. That McLaren bloke?

Yes, the Argies did well leaving Icardi out. Form, class and boatloads of goals are temporary, Messi / Higuain / Mascherano etc is permanent.

Yeah I think he's on loan from some other s**t club.
Argentina is the funniest squad for mine. Reckon I would legit coach them better if I was in charge.

Play a 3-4-2-1

3 centre backs, 2 blokes with pace on the wings and 2 screening midfielders

Play Messi and Dybala behind Icardi. If teams crowded Messi Dybala would have a s**t load of space to work with and he's a superstar. Icardi would be making runs behind meaning they have to half sit off the number 10s and the wingers stretch the field. That side beats Iceland. Straight up.

Germany doing just enough...

Going out on a limb here but I think England can beat Panama from here.

But at 5-0 at half time, who knows?

Compelling argument not to expand the World Cup to 48 sides.

This grappling on corners and free kicks needs to stop. El Buddeiro from Panama just wrestled Kane to the ground and then they're surprised when a penalty is given.

Compelling argument not to expand the World Cup to 48 sides.

This grappling on corners and free kicks needs to stop. El Buddeiro from Panama just wrestled Kane to the ground and then they're surprised when a penalty is given.
Re Kane , defender wacked him on the scone on the way down too .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back