List Mgmt. 2018 Draft Prospects aka the West and Khamis thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If GC have 2 and 3 or 3 and 4 I think they may take Ben King and Rankine
Do you think they may see Rankine a a massive flight risk and recruit both Kings. Would be tempting and if they become the players their potential suggests sure up both forward and backline. Also reduces risk of the King the recruit with Rankine returning home. I'm sure the brothers would be over the moon to be recreated by same club eliminating the risk GC seem to face more than others.

I think a lot on here will be surprised that Rankine will be available at our pick. Give me one of him or Smith and I'll be over the moon.
That's exactly where I'm at as well at the moment with my realistic hopes for pick 5.

Do you think they may see Rankine a a massive flight risk and recruit both Kings. Would be tempting and if they become the players their potential suggests sure up both forward and backline. Also reduces risk of the King the recruit with Rankine returning home. I'm sure the brothers would be over the moon to be recreated by same club eliminating the risk GC seem to face more than others.
Anyone the GC recruits is a potential flight risk, noone wants to play up there. Another reason they should be hoping some 25 + year olds want to go there in exchange for their Lynch compensation because at that age they would be more likely to stay .. And they need experience not more flight risk kids

On the off chance we finish 13th and GC get a compo, who do you want us taking at 7?
Hately. Helps to even up the contest in the centre where we are constantly being beaten, kicks goals, spreads hard from the contest, provides a marking option and has been very good at all levels he has played at this year even against grown men. I don't buy the 'too similar to Dunkley' argument on here, from what I've seen of him he has more tools that will come out once he gets into an AFL environment than Dunkley has.

There is one passage of play against Metro where he gets a one 2 through the middle after winning it at half back and then kicks a good kick to the advantage of the forward I50. Nearly identical to a passage from an SA practice match earlier in the year. That is the sort of thing that he can do.

Agree with you on RCD to me he’s being pumped up because he’s stretchy armed and moves a bit like previous bolters in Oliver and Bont, but unlike those two he’s yet to put together a dominant patch of football.

You might be able to answer this Wizard, as you’ve seen more of Smith though he looks like a quality inside mid, is there anything that suggests he won’t be more than a win the hard ball accumulator/death by a thousand cuts type of player?

With a future Macrae/McLean/Dunkley/Hunter/West midfield who I think all to varying degrees also fit that description wouldn’t it be better to get someone like Rozee or even O’Hallaran who are a bit more damaging/look to do a bit more with the ball in their hands? (Obviously Rankine would be the perfect fit, but on talent there’s no way he gets out of the top three imo).
A player that can win ten clearances and use it very well is not a death by 1000 cuts type of player. Especially if they can go forward and kick goals

Hately. Helps to even up the contest in the centre where we are constantly being beaten, kicks goals, spreads hard from the contest, provides a marking option and has been very good at all levels he has played at this year even against grown men. I don't buy the 'too similar to Dunkley' argument on here, from what I've seen of him he has more tools that will come out once he gets into an AFL environment than Dunkley has.

There is one passage of play against Metro where he gets a one 2 through the middle after winning it at half back and then kicks a good kick to the advantage of the forward I50. Nearly identical to a passage from an SA practice match earlier in the year. That is the sort of thing that he can do.

A player that can win ten clearances and use it very well is not a death by 1000 cuts type of player. Especially if they can go forward and kick goals
Would you rather Hately over someone like O'Halloran? Hoping we target a damaging ball user with our first pick. He seems to be building a bit of steam at the right time and looks beautiful kick probably doesn't get enough of it maybe to justify pick 7. Seen some people knock Hately over his disposal. I've only seen Hately once so I can't comment.

For the watchers

Who is the best at:

Kicking
Composure
Speed
Getting the pill??

Been thinking a lot about taking King (key forward).

I’m sweet with it. Provided we think he can be a 40/50 goal, legitimate key forward. Not interested if he doesn’t have forward instincts, isn’t a great set shot, and can’t beat opponents on the lead (please advise draft watchers??).

But if he can?? I’m cool.

Schache is a tall half forward flanker. Boyd is a ruck/forward who can’t beat anyone on the lead.

We see what guys like Riewoldt, j Kennedy and Ben brown can do. We haven’t had a decent, goal kicking tall forever.

I like Naughton and Cordy back, so the gap in the list is still there.

And English can run through the midfield if we go tall and need him to soak up some time on the wing.

Key positions might look like:

FB: Cordy. Naughton
HB: Adams
R: English
HF: Schache
FF: King
IC: Boyd

For the watchers

Who is the best at:

Kicking
Composure
Speed
Getting the pill??
I've seen sfa of the interstate kids so this will have an all Victorian flavor. So I won't consider kids like Rankine & Hately & only considering potential first rounders. Kids that will go later on like Barzen that have a beautiful field kick won't be included.

Kicking: O'Halloran.
Composure: That’s really hard to measure. You talking about decision making under pressure? If so I like O’Halloran here too. Bloody subjective this criteria
Speed: I like Curtis Taylor here explosive player. Been a fan of him all year and I watch a bit of Calder so might have the blinkers on.
Getting the Pill: Smith knows how to find it this kid
Total Package: Walsh but he won't be a factor for us this draft.

* I've jumped on the O'halloran bandwagon. I might have to move Taylor to the side. Other posters might completely disagree with my answers here and think my answers are incredibly biased.

I’m sweet with it. Provided we think he can be a 40/50 goal, legitimate key forward. Not interested if he doesn’t have forward instincts, isn’t a great set shot, and can’t beat opponents on the lead (please advise draft watchers??).

Schache is a tall half forward flanker. Boyd is a ruck/forward who can’t beat anyone on the lead.

We see what guys like Riewoldt, j Kennedy and Ben brown can do. We haven’t had a decent, goal kicking tall forever.

And English can run through the midfield if we go tall and need him to soak up some time on the wing.

Isn't a great set shot. Generally at this level takes enough shots to make up for it and still kick a bunch.

Side's to top heavy. You couldn't play them all.
Don't worry about King's forward instincts got it in spades. Good leading patterns, great overhead marking technique, pretty handy for a big fella when it hits the deck.
Set shot's a bit shaky at times but he's a 2 metre tall kid still learning.
He'd be hard to pass up if he's there. Be unlikely for him to get past GC if Lynch leaves and St Kilda I would have thought.
I don't like a forward line of him and Boyd. Not with the frenetic pace the game his played at now. If he was selected definitely would up the pressure on Boyd to develop his forward craft.

Totally agree. I would be comfortable with us taking a King. Especially the Ben variety. We need more assurance on the tall forward line Depeartemnt for sure.

I think Mac King will most likely be available. Got a feeling GC will still try to force a trace rather then a high draft pick.

Look at what they did to get Lockie weller from Freo!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you rather Hately over someone like O'Halloran? Hoping we target a damaging ball user with our first pick. He seems to be building a bit of steam at the right time and looks beautiful kick probably doesn't get enough of it maybe to justify pick 7. Seen some people knock Hately over his disposal. I've only seen Hately once so I can't comment.
Yes, O'Halloran is in the 10-30 sort of range. Not top 10 atm.

Hately has to work a bit on his kicking (mostly his long kicking) but it is mostly stuff that is fixable for mine. Doesn't worry me too much.

With injury ??? on Libba and Picken and Clay retiring we really have been lacking a hard edge in the middle shows with how easy teams are running the footy out of the middle against us. Hately and West would fix that in time and allow Macrae and McLean to play more on the flanks and use their skills more in space.

For the watchers

Who is the best at:

Kicking
Composure
Speed
Getting the pill??
Kicking - Lukosius
Composure - Smith
Speed - Stack, Rankine
Getting the ball - Hately, Walsh, Smith, Kennerley (hard to separate them all)

U16 Division one
Western Australia 13.13 (91) defeated Vic Country 5.7 (37)

GOALS
Western Australia: Dann 4, Avery 2, Cartwright 2, Western 2, Walker, Allen, Daly
Vic Country: Neal 2, Ugle-Hagan, Gay, Hollands

BEST
Western Australia: O’Driscoll, Schofield, Bellchambers, Avery, Dann
Vic Country: Bruhn, Conforti, Walsh, Brauer, Maher, Reid

South Australia 13.12 (90) defeated Vic Metro 11.12 (78)

GOALS
South Australia: Dudley 3, Horsnell 3, Dumesny 2, Durdin, Dean, Higgins, Pedlar, Baldwin
Vic Metro: Phillips 2, Edwardes 2, Tucker 2, Failli, Bowey, Jenkins, Teal, Feagaimalii

BEST
South Australia: Durdin, Jones, Nelligan, Thilthorpe, Horsnell, Kramer
Vic Metro: Phillips, Edwardes, Raak, Hipwell, Laurie, Ford

Sheehan Medallist: Corey Durdin SA

Ugle-Hagan is ours

An interesting aspect to this year for me is having the new recruiting team and trying to figure out what they're all about after having Dal for all that time. I'm sure it's probably been discussed during the 8 months or so that I haven't been on but whatever.

Obviously Austin played a part in building the current dominant side in the comp, which is fantastic. During his time there they only had one top 10 pick, taking Nick Vlastuin at 9 in 2012. A pretty good pick, especially considering the players taken straight after him in the first round apart from probably Grundy who a lot of others overlooked as well. They also had some notable whiffs in hindsight in the first round, taking Ben Lennon ahead of the likes of Patrick Cripps and Corey Ellis ahead of the likes of Jake Lever. They've also had 0 success in drafting talls during that period, with the jury out on the more recent ones.

Their real success probably came from some of their recent mid to late picks, with Graham, Lambert, Butler, Broad and Castagna all now premiership players. Clearly he loves his small forwards too, which has become Richmond's trademark, and isn't afraid to use a first rounder on one. Good news for us as we could do with one. This leads me to think we'd probably take Rankine if he was there, I've got the sneaking suspicion that the previous regime might well have overlooked him in favour of a Smith or a King twin given the respective player types and what their personalities seem to be.

Really hoping Brisbane can overtake us, and put us into pick 4. Feel Gold Coast will go one of the Kings if they lose Lynch. Thus will leave one of Lukosious, Walsh and Rankine to slip to us. They are the top three in my opinion.

Really hoping Brisbane can overtake us, and put us into pick 4. Feel Gold Coast will go one of the Kings if they lose Lynch. Thus will leave one of Lukosious, Walsh and Rankine to slip to us. They are the top three in my opinion.
But if GC don’t match for Lynch it still leaves us at pick 5.

Assuming we beat Carlton and lose the remaining matches, Brisbane needs to win 2 of West Coast, North or Adelaide at home or Gold Coast away. Saints could jump us too by beating us and winning one of North, Essendon and Hawthorn.

That said, last time I remember wanting us to lose games was in 2013 so we could get a top 3 pick to get one of kelly or billings. There were a clear top 3 according to media that year. We ending up winning a few games late in the year and had to settle for the bont ;)

Would much rather a King/West combination than a Smith/West combination. I think Smith is a little high right now, I see a lot to like about him but not quite enough to say he'd be one of the better mids in the league, and you'd want to be in order to justify being selected top 5.

I think King (either one, they are built the same) would be a good addition and the top heavy argument is silly, our current tall forwards are far from perfect and if we find the right player to fill the role the others just get phased over time or become depth.

Would much rather a King/West combination than a Smith/West combination. I think Smith is a little high right now, I see a lot to like about him but not quite enough to say he'd be one of the better mids in the league, and you'd want to be in order to justify being selected top 5.

I think King (either one, they are built the same) would be a good addition and the top heavy argument is silly, our current tall forwards are far from perfect and if we find the right player to fill the role the others just get phased over time or become depth.
I get the line of thinking but it's premised on whichever King we get being genuine top 5 over his career and not just an U18 bully.
The most recent big men who have gone inside the top 5 have been:
2017 - none
2016 - none
2015 - Weitering (1), Schache (2)
2014 - P.McCartin (1)
2013 - Boyd (1)
2012 - none
2011 - Patton (1)
2010 - Day (3)
2009 - none
2008 - Watts (1), Natanui (2), Hurley (5)

All of them are making some sort of career but none of them are out and out stars (yet) until you get back to 2008 with Natanui and Hurley. Along the way players like Tom Boyd have been described as the best KPF in a decade or a generation or whatever, but it's been a different story when they start to carve out their career. Admittedly some are still young and big men take time but you can usually see the real quality in big players very early.

The hit rate for midfielders has been much higher and so I'd suggest if we have a rare pick inside the top 5 a midfielder may be a safer bet.

Can somebody convince me that the Kings are genuinely different to so many of the next BIG things touted over the last 10 years of the draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back