Preview Changes for R22 v Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasnt expecting Kennedy to play any sooner than the Brisbane game, however it would be a pleasant surprise if he gets up.

Jogging laps on a Monday recovery doesnt mean much either way.

In all honesty, I would prefer that he plays this game, then stays home vs Brisbane if we win.

Gives him a chance to get some run, ice the leg up afterward, have the medicos assess, and minimise risk before the first final.

In all honesty, I would prefer that he plays this game, then stays home vs Brisbane if we win.

Gives him a chance to get some run, ice the leg up afterward, have the medicos assess, and minimise risk before the first final.

There's a bye in between the Brisbane game and the final to do that.

Did Brayshaw seriously have 40+ pozezshens?
Against the rabble that is East Fremantle, but yeah. TBF I think a junior auskicker could rack up a 30+ game against them. Still, it should be a good confidence boost for him, Waterman, Ainsworth, Oallen and Parto specifically.

There's a bye in between the Brisbane game and the final to do that.

Oh, I know. I just don't wanna risk his premiership-winning leg anymore than we have to. Ideally keep him off of the plane until the GF.

Edit: Also, Kennedy seems to always take multiple weeks to "come good" after a niggle. If he's sore after the Melbourne game then we can give him 2 weeks rest.

In an ideal world I would like to see:

* Round 22: Play Kennedy and beat the Dees. Top 2 sewn up.
* Round 23: Open up Ross Lyon's playbook and go with "Operation Budding Youth" vs the Lions. Keep the majority of the Best 22 at home to mitigate risk
* Bye: Team selfies with Gaff
* Home Final 1: Play one of Collingwood/ GWS/ Hawks and beat them into submission with our arrogance
* Bye: Sip chardonnay and ask Basil what he thinks of our "culture". Maybe push another cameraman for good measure
* Home Final 2: Pump whichever poor souls have to travel to Fortress Perth. Mandatory team photo where everyone flips the double-birds after the game
* Bye: Nic Nat gets on the front foot and does a little Twitter video reminding the media that West Coast had some recreational drug issues a decade ago
* Grand Final: Edge out Richmond in a close one with an after-the-siren goal courtesy of Shuey drawing a questionable high free kick in the goalsquare. Spend the rest of the offseason showering in salty tears.

Last edited:
Against the rabble that is East Fremantle, but yeah. TBF I think a junior auskicker could rack up a 30+ game against them. Still, it should be a good confidence boost for him, Waterman, Ainsworth, Oallen and Parto specifically.
Ah ok, so don't read into it much? I was astonished when I heard the stats coming from the WAFL match today. Granted, I don't follow the WAFL much anymore.

Tom McDonald chopped us at Subi last time. Good that we have Barrass back. Hopefully no Hogan and they have to change their running back from Jayden Hunt. I reckon we will be unchanged. Back the boys to get the job done. Expect some real ferocity as it's our last home game potentially. Back the 2 rucks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Demons defense turns to water, we'll be able to attack without i think. It's our defense against their offense where the game will be won, and judging by last week it was fairly solid.

Tom McDonald chopped us at Subi last time. Good that we have Barrass back. Hopefully no Hogan and they have to change their running back from Jayden Hunt. I reckon we will be unchanged. Back the boys to get the job done. Expect some real ferocity as it's our last home game potentially. Back the 2 rucks.
Barrass is not a good matchup for McDonald, he doesn't have the speed or tank to go with him. Would of been ideal to have Schofield for this one.

Posted that because nobody notices HT anymore do they?

:shoutyoldman:
giphy.gif

Yeah Simmo said on 7 tonight that JK won't play. So the only change I can see is Venners out, Waterman in.

IN Waterman
Out Venables

Maybe Brander for Vardy and have Ah chee/Brander and Waterman chop out at times.

FB Hurn Barrass Sheppard
HB Jetta McGovern Duggan
C Masten Redden Sheed
HF Rioli Waterman LeCras
FF Ryan Darling Cripps
R Lycett Shuey Yeo
I Cole Hutchings Ah Chee Vardy/Brander

Hogan is touch n go so maybe Brander could move to defence and send Gov forward.

Would rather JK come back for lions game, the Demons have a lot more to play for and will be more physical. Can't risk the big fella will be needed for finals

Last week our main problems in the first half were:

(1) inability to hit a target, particularly going inside 50
(2) inability to cleanly exit our back half

Not sure what the cause of (1) was. We were getting some clean looks but just muffed the kicks/made poor decisions. Jetta had a couple of bad ones and Yeo had one particularly bad one. But there were also others. All should have led to good scoring opportunities but didn't. This was pretty much team-wide and I don't think we can single anyone out for it.

I think (2) was due to Port setting up well and guarding space, but they were only able to do that due to the skinny ground. Our gameplan this year accommodates an extra 5m on either side of the ground and if you take that away we have trouble finding space to play our kicking game across half back. We won't have that problem for the rest of the year.

So, I don't see any necessary changes arising from that poor first half. The second half was fine I thought. Sure, Venables was quiet but I don't think he deserves to get dropped because of that. He may get dropped for structural/strategic reasons.

I think our biggest problem is the lack of a foil for Darling. The last few weeks he has been repeatedly double teamed, triple teamed, scragged, checked, chopped, blocked and no amount of throwing his head back is convincing the umps to give him a free (we are all aware of his "boy who cried wolf" problems with the umps). I don't know what the answer is (basically, wait for JK to come back), but Simmo & Co might try something different like bringing in Waterman for Venables and playing Vardy out of the F50.

IN Waterman
Out Venables

Maybe Brander for Vardy and have Ah chee/Brander and Waterman chop out at times.

FB Hurn Barrass Sheppard
HB Jetta McGovern Duggan
C Masten Redden Sheed
HF Rioli Waterman LeCras
FF Ryan Darling Cripps
R Lycett Shuey Yeo
I Cole Hutchings Ah Chee Vardy/Brander

Hogan is touch n go so maybe Brander could move to defence and send Gov forward.
I am happy with these changes, get some run into Waterman as well. I like his work rate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back